At last!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

At last!

Post by whitestone »

This popped up on the BBC site - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609. Stop the video at about 18 seconds and the shadows show just how close he passed, certainly not in line with "he and his son later measured the road and estimated the gap he left for the cyclist was sufficient and safe."
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Re: At last!

Post by Lazarus »

pretty sure the cyclists shadow does the Taylor[he cannot be pleased with that auto correct for onanism] sign to him

we have all had it and its rubbish
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I watched that in the office having a desk lunch, quite a hefty fine, should start sinking in hopefully

I was wondering to myself how different lenses could affect how close a vehicle appears, and if there's an accepted standard etc?
In this example there's a convenient seam in the tarmac that could be easily be used for reference, to me it looked about four to five foot so not enough room to pass probably.

I hate riding on the road and avoid it whenever possible
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The narrative on this article is appalling. It states the drivers case for not being fined rather than majoring on what he did wrong.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup and it's clear the guy has totally failed to see what he did wrong - in his opinion he was fine and therefore the wronged party. Annoyingly I can see this getting picked up as a further anti cycling thing.

I've taken to emptying a nostril if I suspect a car is coming to close. I've yet to eject a bogy more than 1.5m so if it hits the car they are too close :mrgreen:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

There seems to be more of this around here recently (Shropshire), last week I had a truck come by me, crossing double whites on approach to 90 deg bend. Car coming other way had to emergency stop to avoid collision, I had to take to verge as truck cut across before it’s rear was passed. Worst I’ve had for a while.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The scary thing is that even after the court case he still seems blissfully unaware that 1.2m is under the legal minimum passing distance.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

What's the protocol for a vehicle passing a cyclist when the road physically isn't wide enough to give 1.5m clearance?

Genuine question, I have no idea
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:17 pm The narrative on this article is appalling. It states the drivers case for not being fined rather than majoring on what he did wrong.
Agreed, terrible reporting.
Mr Humphreys, said: "The fine is absolutely appalling. I am 77 years of age and the last fine I had was 35 to 40 years ago.
So you didn't do anything wrong because you're old and you haven't done anything else wrong for a long time? I'll remember that defence. I'm glad it wasn't successful.

Thing is, the fine is mostly for not paying the FPN, which is entirely his own choice. What did he expect to happen?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Shewie wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:34 am What's the protocol for a vehicle passing a cyclist when the road physically isn't wide enough to give 1.5m clearance?

There isn't one. You don't do it unless the cyclist indicates they are happy for you to pass or stops to let you through.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Shewie wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:34 am What's the protocol for a vehicle passing a cyclist when the road physically isn't wide enough to give 1.5m clearance?

If there's no room to pass, then don't pass.

In life, in general, if it's not possible to do something safely, then wait until it is possible.

* Lots of traffic - wait until it's gone, before crossing.
* Tea is too hot - wait until it's cooled down, before drinking it.
* Sea is too rough for swimming - wait for a calmer day

Etc., Etc. - it should be an easy decision
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:17 pm The narrative on this article is appalling. It states the drivers case for not being fined rather than majoring on what he did wrong.
Agreed. Bloody rubbish.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:36 pm pretty sure the cyclists shadow does the Taylor[he cannot be pleased with that auto correct for onanism] sign to him

we have all had it and its rubbish
It wasn't me driving! :o
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

This is just what I do - developed over about 20 years of commuting, 6 of them being on a road bike and longer distances. Once the road starts narrowing enough that its obviously only tight enough for 2 cars passing very tightly, I ensure I'm taking the full section of the road on my side. So the tos$er that is so stupid that he/she thinks they might be able to pass the gap if I hadn't narrowed it further for them, won't. I alwasy try and do it very politely without appearing arrogant or angry in the road

Also when I'm overtaken with a dangerous pass, be it with some (tos$er) who almost has a head on collision or one that passes too close. I take it to mean that the bar stewards need assistance to realise that the road isn't wide enough. So i take just about enough of my lane to ensure that they're gonna find it impossible to get past without running me over first -rather than doing it by skimming past me.

If the road is one of them wider ones but I keep getting cars passing too close. Then I just keep running a bit wider than my lane but ensuring it doesn't look too obvious that I'm too far out in the road. So a bit of a zigzag thing going one but a veey gradual one. Also, if I've got my daybright flashy light off, I ensure I turn it on when i come across these (toas$er) laden roads so they can start making their decisions of how to overtake with plenty of notice.

Lastly, it's just so so important to remain calm and collected and if you do get a stupid pass, not to give 'the sign'. Remembee that it's mainly the super stupid people that also get into fits of rage when behind the safety of that tin-box. I've also always got something bright on and seldom wear black tops. If I do then the daybright light has to come on. Talking of daybright, they don't all flash in a way that could encourage seizures for lookers on...

Hope that helps Rich...
redefined_cycles

Oh, sorry. That was from my 'cyclists' perspective. When driving I'll always wait until safe to do so to overtake..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just out of interest, does anyone actually take the opportunity when presented to let cars pass on long stretches of narrow road? It's something I'll always try and do when there's a handy gate-hole, lay-by or passing place. I tend not to stop but will slow right down and move into the space. Just seems like good manners and a way of painting a better picture of cyclists.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Absolutely
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:16 am Just out of interest, does anyone actually take the opportunity when presented to let cars pass on long stretches of narrow road? It's something I'll always try and do when there's a handy gate-hole, lay-by or passing place. I tend not to stop but will slow right down and move into the space. Just seems like good manners and a way of painting a better picture of cyclists.
Living in Devon I have to do this all the time. I frequently stop on tiny roads to let cars pass BUT I feel I gave the right to finish a hill
redefined_cycles

Yes Stu... I always do that and especially so to trucks/buses that might find it harder to get past. I'll either tuck in a slow down making it obvious that they can get past... and/or say thanks for waiting patiently etc. Sometimes for trucks on busy roads where they can onviously make progress once past me, I'll jump on the path for a metre or two and wave em on. Not totally legal maybe but safer for everyone I find (only needed to do that twice in 7 years I think).

But answer is a yes and it all works very well...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes I let them pass but it's as much about not wanting someone impatient behind me as it is about politeness.
Basically we could hog the road and stop them getting past buts it's shared space and we all need to do our bit 5o make it as good as possible for all.
I sometimes even just hop onto the kerb to allow this ( not in town centre though).
Did this yesterday but the even slower cyclist went past the passing spot and held them up for a further mile !
Shared spaces just need to be shared and sometimes we take the inconvenience hit and sometimes the car driver does
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:16 am Just out of interest, does anyone actually take the opportunity when presented to let cars pass on long stretches of narrow road? It's something I'll always try and do when there's a handy gate-hole, lay-by or passing place. I tend not to stop but will slow right down and move into the space. Just seems like good manners and a way of painting a better picture of cyclists.
That’s just basic road manners isn’t it.
I really hate the tribal us vs them narrative that gets pushed on this subject. We all need to give as well as take on the road.
Some people are wankers and their chosen mode of transport doesn’t change that.
Last edited by lune ranger on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:32 am
That’s just basic road manners isn’t it.
I really hate the tribal us vs them narrative that gets pushed on this subject. We all need to give as well as take on the road.
Some people are wankers and their chosen mode of transport doesn’t that.
Well said Luke. Pretty sure (just my opinion) there's not more drive idiots than cyclist idiots. As a bus driver I pondered the question of which came first. The 'rude arrogant bus driver' or the 'rude arrogant passenger'. Concluded that it's the same as the 'chicken and the egg' theory and that from one, comes the other...
psling

Post by psling »

Definitely Stu, fully agree.

For me, riding on the road is all about confidence. Confident to take the primary position, confident to ride with the flow of the traffic, confident to give way when safe. I've ridden with very competent riders who are seriously nervous on the road and it shows in their riding (on the road).
Equally, when driving, I've come up behind riders who go to pieces when they hear a vehicle behind them; they slow down, speed up, squeeze in to the verge, (try to) look nervously over their shoulder, try to wave you by when it's not actually safe to pass, and even just stop (without warning). I'm usually screaming inwardly by then "just keep riding at a constant line and speed please; I'll pass when it's safe!" But, that's the thing though; we know that a large number of drivers will use their vehicle to intimidate and harass when they come up behind riders so I guess it's hardly surprising that less confident riders are nervous. We're almost predisposed to 'go to pieces'.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Yep, I do that all the time, combination of good manners and I prefer to let them pass than have them hovering on my tail.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Same as if you were in a car - a following car wouldn't pass unless you let them at a passing place. It's in the Highway code to allow faster vehicles behind you to pass on a singletrack road using passing places if available. When I'm cycling I'll allow a car past provided there isn't a huge downhill coming up as I know the car will then hold me up, but not likely let me past