The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Post by PaulB2 »

It looks like he's on a valley road that'll take him into Helena so maybe the he's decided his lack of sleeping gear isn't compatible with the amount of snow on the tops.

Edit: backtrack that, he's heading back the way he came so must have just turned the wrong way along the road.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

ouch, not the costliest of mistakes, but even so..
Image Image
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I think that might be the 2019 logging reroute we did that got taken out of the 2022 route. Hateful section of trail so he'll be pissed off with that.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It does seem that having the right GPX track for a given years route seems to be a major challenge for the TD!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:10 pm A long way off [10 km ish] is the map showing the correct re routed route ?

Steve is indeed going well so far - amazing what these people can ride in a day and then repeat
I often think that when my bottom's sore on a fairly steady 100km (target, not always achieved) road ride. Totally mental/tough... I'm gonna invest in some 7mesh undershorts to see if that allows me to ride 100 miles mtb. Hope you're well Jon - we should go for a ride anytime soon :-bd
landel

Post by landel »

It seems to only come out a few days before the grand depart. I understand that they want to get the latest on the ground situation sorted before sending it out but it must cause a lot of stress for people that have already set out for Banff. Tricky finding a pc/laptop to split it up and load it if using an Etrex or similar.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

we should go for a ride anytime soon
LEJOG is three weeks away so sometime after that - its only at 100 miles ish per day but it is s elf supported without B & B

SS is back on track now so must hav the correct file [ or outside assistance :wink: ]
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:23 pm SS is back on track now so must hav the correct file [ or outside assistance :wink: ]
Makes you wonder doesn't it - It's not like he'd have an absence of wheel tracks or other riders to cue him that he's gone wrong...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:55 pm I think that might be the 2019 logging reroute we did that got taken out of the 2022 route. Hateful section of trail so he'll be pissed off with that.
No I'm wrong, he genuinely went a bit weird after his kip.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

He said on Instagram that he loaded the wrong route up by mistake :roll:
Trying to ride bikes.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Once Steve has done his big climb and descent we can catch him on the Ovando webcam

https://video.nest.com/live/6oAK3yyGlJ? ... TktpA_reoc
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:05 pm Once Steve has done his big climb and descent we can catch him on the Ovando webcam

https://video.nest.com/live/6oAK3yyGlJ? ... TktpA_reoc
Looks like Cathy was there to greet him.
Mart

Post by Mart »

jay91 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:03 pm He said on Instagram that he loaded the wrong route up by mistake :roll:
Ok so how did he realise? Did someone alert him? Is that classed as outside help??
2924 miles per Gallon
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Who could say..
Image Image
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I've seen a video somewhere with the late Mike Hall explaining his view on the "no support" ethos for the transcontinental. He was pretty clear what he felt it meant, I'm not sure "gramming" yourself and therfore getting various replies giving support would be seen as ok by Mike. However, I could be wrong.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That seems to be the tenor of the debate just now in terms of being filmed, posting on social media and having screaming fans ID your spot track location and throwing things at you.
That said for someone like Sofiane Sehilli, I get the feeling he won't care one way or another what people post back to him as he doesn't need any encouragement whatsoever. Whether a pal texted him to say he was off route and he then got the correct GPX track off the tinternet and got back on reoute, we will never know I guess
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I agree, the guy is obviously a mutant and would turn himself inside out regardless of any outside influence. But how does it trickle down into the rest of the field? Oh well. I'd just ride it and leave all that boll@#ks behind. Surely that's part of its ethos.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Solid pace by Steve, well inside his 20 day target so far despite the tough conditions. I hope they catch a photo of him in Ovando today.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Richpips wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:07 pm This woman is riding the Divide and she can't see any of it https://www.instagram.com/shawn_cheshire/
:o Amazing!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

larsmars wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:05 pm Solid pace by Steve, well inside his 20 day target so far despite the tough conditions. I hope they catch a photo of him in Ovando today.
I’m well impressed by Steve’s ride so far as conditions look a mess. He’s got 3 big climbs now until Helena then the god awful Lava Mountain trail which I bet is a mud fest as well.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -mudslides

This might not affect the route if they can still get through Flagg Ranch, but it could mean other road closures or impasses outside of the park as well.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd just had a look where Jim's at and he's doing well to.The ground conditions in places sound brutal and plenty of bears to go around by the sounds of thing's
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

His and. Chris' Facebook update this mor ing was that they're going to hunker down for 24 hours are the conditions are bad
Image Image
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

6 rescues on the course in the Fernie area by Mountain rescue, with worsening weather forecast for today.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just seen this on the FB group, looks like the weather is bad this year.

A message to all Tour Divide racers from the local Search and Rescue groups:-
There have been a number of rescues for Tour Divide racers in the Elkford - Fernie area in the last 72 hours. 6 in the course of today. Most have involved serious cases of hypothermia.
We would like to draw your attention to the challenges of the route from Fernie to the US border, which are potentially extreme with the current weather.
Fernie to the US border is typically 14-16 hours of riding. There is no food along the way. There is only one public shelter (Butts Cabin, about half way). The weather will be heavy precipitation for the next 24 hours, much of it snow at higher elevations. The risk of hypothermia is extreme and riders who are not sufficiently prepared are encouraged to delay this stage until the weather is more supportive.
Ride safe and enjoy!
Fernie Search and Rescue
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger