The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BobCatMax

Re: The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Post by BobCatMax »

Fantastic effort Steve, keep going!
Image Image
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Going great Steve. Next couple of hundred miles quite straight forward if the Bannock Road is dry. Done it wet and dry, may your God grant you a dry run.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like Sofiane is slowly reeling in Mike Hall's record pace dot, something like 15km behind now. Without his accidental deviation he'd probably be ahead now.

Re: the rescues. The TDR goes through a lot of climatic zones plus storms tend to be pretty big over in the US. Unless you are at the pointy end and are prepared to take risks to be there then there's no need to be ultra-light. Even if you turned up in Banff hoping for good conditions you should be keeping a watchful eye on the forecast and head to one of the many outdoor shops to get extra layers (for a price) should the need arise. For the sake of an extra kilo for the first week why ruin the rest of your ride?

Rule no.1 - Don't be a d***
Rule no.2 - Look after yourself.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:07 amFor the sake of an extra kilo for the first week why ruin the rest of your ride?
Because, for a certain subset of participants, if it can't be done fast then it's not worth doing.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

True, but I suspect that many of those rescued were "mid-pack" or slower. Since this was so early on it might be hard to determine just whether they were "contenders" or otherwise. Maybe cross reference the names of those rescued with their stated target time.

Looking at that piece on bikepacking.com, https://bikepacking.com/news/chaos-on-t ... ur-divide/ Sofiane Sehili is wearing a puffer jacket. Quite possible that many got cold wet feet as much as anything and that affected their speed and morale leading to reduced heat generation, etc. Been there, done that, not nice.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You'd also want to look at any previous finishes as we know some folk will only carry in if they can beat their own previous time. And I guess some folk will have a window of time available for work, family, logistical reasons.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Rule no.1 - Don't be a d***
Rule no.2 - Look after yourself.
I'm sure we could streamline that to 'Look after your dick' which is very good advice given the conditions :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Self supported question

Can you start off with slightly heavier and warmer kit for the first few days (?) to keep warm and then post it back to yourself (home) once it’s not longer needed?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:52 am Self supported question

Can you start off with slightly heavier and warmer kit for the first few days (?) to keep warm and then post it back to yourself (home) once it’s not longer needed?
Yep, you can call into a post office and send it to anywhere you like - it's a commercial service available to all. Likewise, if you were riding northbound you could buy warmer kit when you get close to the northern end and the mountains.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
psling

Post by psling »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:52 am Self supported question

Yes. Or more practical if you're not usa resident to send it to a PO near the end to collect after the event. POs are available to everyone so within self-supported ethos.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

:grin: like an echo in here (but some of us are slower on the keys!) :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Sofianne is past the Mike Hall record which given the early conditions and Koko Claims is exceptional!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:05 pm Sofianne is past the Mike Hall record which given the early conditions and Koko Claims is exceptional!
That it absolutely amazing
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Amazing but it will be sad to lose his marker on the map.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

adjustablewench wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:59 pm Amazing but it will be sad to lose his marker on the map.
Although Sofianne is ahead I think it was said that the times this year will not count towards a record due to the re-routes. Also, he's been ahead of Mike in a previous year but scratched.

Mike's marker will be on the map for a few years yet, with climate change affecting the route more and more unless they change the rules about re-routes then Mike's record may never be broken.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
substandard

Post by substandard »

the route will always be 'evolving' , i think its a shame the 'record' will not count this year personally.
psling

Post by psling »

substandard wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:47 pm the route will always be 'evolving' ...
... and so it would seem will Sofianne's and Mike's position / time. It's a bit cat & mouse at the moment - currently Sofianne has dropped behind again. Exciting dot-watching :cool:

As for Steve, well - how brilliantly is he doing. Cracking riding and determination :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:04 pm
substandard wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:47 pm the route will always be 'evolving' ...
... and so it would seem will Sofianne's and Mike's position / time. It's a bit cat & mouse at the moment - currently Sofianne has dropped behind again. Exciting dot-watching :cool:

As for Steve, well - how brilliantly is he doing. Cracking riding and determination :-bd
I suspect Union Pass is an utter mess. It was bad enough when I went over after good weather. Personally I think you should get the record whatever the course. There are so many other variables like luck, weather etc... that make very single year different. But if Steve Large beats (which he will) me I'll change my tune
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

weather and conditions are in the lap of the gods but the course should at least be the same route or its a bit pointless to have a record for a course that is not the same route[ or distance or elevation]
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:11 pm weather and conditions are in the lap of the gods but the course should at least be the same route or its a bit pointless to have a record for a course that is not the same route[ or distance or elevation]
It never is on TD there's usually some form or reroute. Same with HT550
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

then its clearly a waste of time doing either :wink:

I stand corrected as I assumed/thought both were a set route - with occasional variation due to events that year but there was a "set route"
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:11 pm weather and conditions are in the lap of the gods but the course should at least be the same route or its a bit pointless to have a record for a course that is not the same route[ or distance or elevation]
There is an official route but over 4500km it's going to be really difficult to ensure that everything is open - in the States if the authorities shut somewhere for fire, avalanche or similar then it's SHUT, there's no sneaking through.

It does make a "record" somewhat difficult to ride against but you ride the route presented to you for that year. The Iditarod changes route every year as well but it's more a known "Northern route" and a known "Southern route" on alternate years, i.e. it's just two variations.

I'm not sure why Alan changes the HT550 route year by year, maybe it's so that there isn't a "record" unless you ride that exact route again. I know that last year Neil Beltchenko said that if the route was the same as when he posted his fastest time then Liam Glen would have beaten it.

US post offices - you can send kit via "General Delivery" to any of them to pick it up later. Not sure how long they will keep it for.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just been doing some sums for Steve :-bd
Day 1 - 159 miles
Day 2 - 136 miles
Day 3 - 160 miles (!)
Day 4 - 131 miles
Day 5 - 123 miles
Day 6 - 145 miles

Given the conditions that's pretty good going I reckon :shock:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:30 pm Just been doing some sums for Steve :-bd
Day 1 - 159 miles
Day 2 - 136 miles
Day 3 - 160 miles (!)
Day 4 - 131 miles
Day 5 - 123 miles
Day 6 - 145 miles

Given the conditions that's pretty good going I reckon :shock:
Hats off to Steve on that. He’s using the TT bag I sold him - that’s gotta be worth a few miles a day for him.
Let’s hope he doesn’t run into trouble.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Big days there Steve! Just been catching up on conditions and the last few day's events 😯 Smart riding to get ahead of the worst of it but the best of it in the N didn't look that great either!