The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BobCatMax

Re: The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Post by BobCatMax »

i'm not sure, isn't it more about gaining advantage from taking turns at the front?

as long as they're riding side by side..
Image Image
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

As long as you're not drafting it's allowed
substandard

Post by substandard »

rules be rules i guess. Theres more of a benefit from the mental assistance of teaming up than any aero benefit of sharing the load IMO.

Company keeps the chimp at bay so they say.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It's one of the curiosities of running a group start but following the ITT rules. On all my Highland trail rides, I've encountered folk for long sections of the trail and having someone to moan at makes a huge difference to morale. The nature of the route means that riding beside or near to someone isn't possible on the worst bits but even just encountering someone on the route and having a blether really helps. That said it's also the nice bit of doing a group start rather than on your todd.

Speaking of which, I came across this guy's videos - looks like he has managed to edit them en-route, thanks to waiting for 5 days in Helena for a new pair of lauf forks....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCc8JW5v2as
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Zoe Chauderlot has just posted that she's scratching. I really hope she doesn't as she's clearly on the way to the female win.

Edit: so has Craig Newton who I rode with in 2019. I suspect when you've completed the race and conditions aren't great next time round it is much easier to call it a day.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

I've been watching Stephen Petty's videos too (they are good for those that haven't).

The Lauf fork thing surprised me... I thought they were pretty durable... Looking at him and his kit, I doubt he's over the weight limit... Anyone else heard of Lauf failures like this (where the lead springs go all spongy and stop providing support)?

Must be rubbish having to wait on Helena for a few days while you friends are continuing on. Looks like he pulled an all nighter to try and catch up yesterday though (24hr moving time!)
substandard

Post by substandard »

Yep, whilst not common, lauf failures do and have happened.

I know at least 4 people who’ve had issues, lauf are very good with the customer service though, never had issues with my carbonara or trail racer (x2) ones I used to have
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I had a Lauf fail after I'd put about 5000km on it. I'd bought it 3rd hand so wasn't too upset.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Shame for ZC as she was going really well - wonder what the story is. MC has gone off route but according to Bikepacker its a re-route due to extreme mud.... Hopefully will dry up before Steve gets there :-bd SS nearly caught Mikes dot but then Mike pulled ahead again
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Quelle couleur?

What's going on with the trackleader colours?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Errrr
Blue = on target group start male
Pink = on target group start female
Yellow = on target ITT
White = outside 30 day limit so 'touring' (although some seem to be in amongst the blue dots....)
Orange = someone who went off route but carried on.
Pale blue = northbound group start
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

White = outside 30 day limit so 'touring' (although some seem to be in amongst the blue dots....)
Just guessing but does it also include those that have scratched and are still carrying on as tourers?
psling

Post by psling »

I'm thinking Steve will be a little bit more isolated now with those that were around him (including ZC) not there anymore - they all seemed to be yo-yoing a bit and overnighting in close proximity. Given discussions earlier in this thread that may increase the mental pressure on Steve a bit?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

SS nearly caught Mikes dot but then Mike pulled ahead again
I assume he is very close again having not pinged for nearly two hours and does not look that far behind
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Seems to be all up in the air as there is now a massive re-route (official) which SS has missed but others will follow....
all down to mud apparently (I got this from the bikepacker forum) which is unique to the TD??
Steve'll be fine as it will be sunny by the time he get's there :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I heard a rumour you can ride bikes through mud - though not american ones with their tiny rear tyre clearances [ i learnt that the hard way]
So now not only does the " race" route change every year they dont all even ride the same route - a rather odd " race" by any standard
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Honest question - is this a mandatory or advisory diversion?

Regarding changes I think similar things have happened before if some have got through areas before conditions change so significantly that the original route is not passable. I'm thinking wildfires and really bad weather at some mountain passess.

Hey ho, all a big adventure :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Wildfires I understand as they close the roads but mud? Isn't that just luck of the draw?

Might be more significant than 'mud' describes, I saw some picture of Yellowstone where roads have been washed away and others covered by mudslides, which would be very dangerous to cross.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

You need to experience peanut butter mud to understand why a diversion is necessary. This is way beyond our mud
slarge

Post by slarge »

Peanut buttermud clings to everything-locking up wheels within a few revolutions. I had a little bit in the great basin, but miles of it would be impossible. You get to the point where you can't go forwards or backwards - a dangerous place to be.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Go Steve!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:39 pm You need to experience peanut butter mud to understand why a diversion is necessary. This is way beyond our mud
It's a "feature" of the TDR I only had to experience for about 2 hours. Eventually I gave up and slept until it dried out.
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

I was wondering how people handle navigation following a re-route? Do the organisers send out an updated GPX? How easy is that to download while out on the course?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

It's deceptive as it doesn't look bad...
20160628_181844.jpg
20160628_181844.jpg (130.15 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

But yeah, it's as bad as they all said. Doesn't matter whether you have American or British clearances!
20160628_181900.jpg
20160628_181900.jpg (151.81 KiB) Viewed 1100 times