The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Post by Dave Barter »

Having ridden it I find the argument not spurious. I used every position on my drops and wind is a real factor a lot of the time.So the more aero positions the better. I’d go back with my cowchippers every time.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Me, I'm not saying there's owt wrong with drops. I simply commented knowing the industries (and thus many members of the cycling community) push towards bikepacking / gravel being one entity.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The Salsa Cutthoat was designed especially for the TD, yet it's never been won* on one, makes you think :wink:

* I don't now what the winner of last years border-to-border version was riding so that might have been.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:18 pm The Salsa Cutthoat was designed especially for the TD, yet it's never been won* on one, makes you think :wink:

* I don't now what the winner of last years border-to-border version was riding so that might have been.
JayP wasn't riding a Salsa, that's for sure. :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The idea that the TD could be won by a bike astounds me. It's 100% down to the rider, their ability to endure and suffer. The thing I note about every winner is that they come equipped with badass.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Tricky to win it without a bike though.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearlegged wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:14 pm Tricky to win it without a bike though.
I suspect there's a disgruntled goose out there somewhere..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:46 am Did you know that only 4 of this years top 10 TD bikes are running drops? Course you did because you wouldn't really expect anything different but I bet there'll be a few surprised in the wider world :wink:
So just about half and half then.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

o just about half and half then.
60/40, so approaching half, yes ... but perhaps somewhat at odds with the media portrayal.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

You mean advertising?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You mean advertising?
Kind of Luke. I was going to say 'not just advertising' by which I'd mean videos, articles etc but it's quite difficult to tell just where the advertising starts and stops.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:23 pm The idea that the TD could be won by a bike astounds me. It's 100% down to the rider, their ability to endure and suffer. The thing I note about every winner is that they come equipped with badass.
But given two riders, evenly matched in ability and determination, the rider with the better bike will be at advantage that may determine the final result.
Similarly, put me and any of the top riders on identicle machines and they'll beat me by weeks every time.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

PR posts are just soft advertising so I'm not sure there's any real differentiation any more.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:46 am Did you know that only 4 of this years top 10 TD bikes are running drops? Course you did because you wouldn't really expect anything different but I bet there'll be a few surprised in the wider world :wink:
I was more surprised to see from various articles, and reading Trep's report, the number of drop bar gravel bikes on the HT550...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:08 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:23 pm The idea that the TD could be won by a bike astounds me. It's 100% down to the rider, their ability to endure and suffer. The thing I note about every winner is that they come equipped with badass.
But given two riders, evenly matched in ability and determination, the rider with the better bike will be at advantage that may determine the final result.
Similarly, put me and any of the top riders on identicle machines and they'll beat me by weeks every time.
Not convinced. The TD is a war of attrition against the elements, luck, your ability to ride into the night and many many other factors beyond rolling resistance. I suspect if you analysed moving average speed there's not much in it between the top 20. You just can't compare like with like unless they ride together through the same conditions and sprint the last mile. If you'd have ridden the same bike as Sophiane in 2019 and finished you'd have beaten him ;-)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Anyway, back on Steve watch, he's conquered the Basin and can eat his fill at the shitty Wamsutter Gas station. Looks like tailwinds into Colorado. Go Steve!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Steamboat = Pizza and decent coffee. Not far Steve.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I noticed he had a very early start after knocking off early yesterday - make the best of the wind mebbes? (ooh I do love armchair spectating!) Looks to have caught Zoe Chauderlot back up too
Sophiane seems to now be stopping every night and for quite some time. Interesting looking back at Mike Halls ride from 2016 - super consistent all the way from start to finish. I see his dot has now burned off Sophiane and I suspect he won't catch it again.

This is all good stuff and no media circus this time

PS Fargos were also designed with the TD in mind. Sticking with the armchair postulating, I'd of course do it on the Jones :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

So you reckon Yorkshire won't lose its TD title then Phil... phew :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

So, got chased through the basin by a massive storm/thundercloud, so when we (Brian and I were riding together) saw a load of oil Wells with buildings and a big hanger, trying a few doors meant we could get a heated balcony for the night in the warm and dry. So an early finish and early start today.

It's going well - really enjoying it, although it is a tough old ride.
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:58 pm Not convinced. The TD is a war of attrition against the elements, luck, your ability to ride into the night and many many other factors beyond rolling resistance. I suspect if you analysed moving average speed there's not much in it between the top 20.
I seem to recall someone doing an analysis of this (can't seem to find it now). The biggest differentiator between those at the pointy end and the rest of the pack was moving time rather than speed.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good going Steve. Looks like your in that place where it all kicked off in 2019? (More) Big hills today :-bd
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:41 pm So you reckon Yorkshire won't lose its TD title then Phil... phew :-bd
Mike's dot is now on the route currently closed by wildfires so SS may 'catch up' as it' looks like he is back to riding overnight. No idea how the diversion route compares to the proper route but it's shorter at least.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:54 am Good going Steve. Looks like your in that place where it all kicked off in 2019? (More) Big hills today :-bd
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:41 pm So you reckon Yorkshire won't lose its TD title then Phil... phew :-bd
Mike's dot is now on the route currently closed by wildfires so SS may 'catch up' as it' looks like he is back to riding overnight. No idea how the diversion route compares to the proper route but it's shorter at least.
More road and no Gila on the re-route so he could be fast..but possibly less water/resupply?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Phil for explaining that about the fires...
substandard

Post by substandard »

Are abe and Ben riding this as a pair? They’ve been glued together for over 200hours, can’t see how that can class as a solo classification if they are not racing as a pair.