The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: The 2022 Tour Divide watchers thread.

Post by johnnystorm »

I waded through nettles just to get a big stick to unlock my wheels for a revolution at a time. Absolutely elated to get past that section!
20160628_181854.jpg
20160628_181854.jpg (133.56 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

GoneCaving wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:33 pm I was wondering how people handle navigation following a re-route? Do the organisers send out an updated GPX? How easy is that to download while out on the course?
That's what I was thinking - I'm not sure I could cope with that amount of techno fiddling on the hoof....
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:33 pm I waded through nettles just to get a big stick to unlock my wheels for a revolution at a time. Absolutely elated to get past that section!
I carried a stick through most of the sections for that reason!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Re-routes are usually emailed as a word doc, and or if short enough, sent as a text by Matt.

Usually, they are straightforward enough, and at that point you should have already considered that it may happen.

I had all the previous re-route/alternates pre-loaded in my GPS that had historically been used.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Some sticky mud from the Old Bannack Road. There weren't even any trees to borrow sticks from to clean the bike - I ended up using a gnarled old bit of sage.

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

NewRetroTom wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:39 am Some sticky mud from the Old Bannack Road. There weren't even any trees to borrow sticks from to clean the bike - I ended up using a gnarled old bit of sage.

I think this also highlights the issues of the route. This was the same year I rode the TD and as I passed this section my main issue was saddle sores as the ruts had been baked rock solid!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I think I was ahead of you both through there, I remember running from a storm. It was dry, fast, and smooth.

Sorry not sorry.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some more from Steve

May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Boreas Pass is a brute. One of the climbs I hated. But...it's the gateway to the end.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

And we have the first bouncing dot
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Well done Sofiane. And Steve going great.

I have been up Boreas Pass four times. In 2004 I was on holiday there and struggled up it twice, really hard with an unloaded bike. In the 2011 race I expected to stop half way up to bivvy but I cruised up and was in Como by 8pm. Touring in 2013 it was another steady climb.
I am sure Greg floated up another climb that I thought was the worst climb ever though. Usual factors of time of day, what I had eaten or drank etc.

And from Dave Barter's comment z few days ago about the wind I very much agree. Montana and Wyoming seemed to be one long battle against wind.

I also caught in mud on the Bannack Road when racing and arriving shattered in Lima at 2am. Touring, it was one of the easiest sections, 100 miles done by 6pm or something.

Back in the olden days there were no gpx files for mid race changes, oh no. I got lost on every last minute change section due to poor wording, as did others. I got told in Platoro about a further course change which I would never have found out about as I did not have a smart phone. I only used the internet in Steamboat Springs while waiting for some bike repairs but others got through before the closure.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Under 15 days for Sehili despite the weather. Steve's top 15!

2665 miles this year. The Gila re-routed course in 2013 when Mike finished in 14.5 days was 2850 miles, so there's been +/-100 miles Vs the original route over the years. The new northern section I think is shorter but tougher, is it the same with the recent change in the Basin?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Properly inspired by Mr Large. Hope for us old dogs yet!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:39 am Properly inspired by Mr Large. Hope for us old dogs yet!
He's nobbut a young 'un! :lol:

Usually when you go through the annual "Bikes of the Divide" posts on Bikepacking.com there's a large proportion of over 60s. Quite possible that it's a bucket list type thing for people to do when they retire.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:28 pm
Richard G wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:39 am Properly inspired by Mr Large. Hope for us old dogs yet!
He's nobbut a young 'un! :lol:

Usually when you go through the annual "Bikes of the Divide" posts on Bikepacking.com there's a large proportion of over 60s. Quite possible that it's a bucket list type thing for people to do when they retire.
Cheeky bleeder. I'm 55.

But I agree - you need the time to do things like this.
I'm aiming to finish on Weds. 20 days. Got a 290 mile road section now which should be fun.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Is the 20 day marker giving a finish time of under 20 days 0hrs 0mins or under 20 days 23hrs 59mins?

Anyway, looks like you (Steve) have about 100km in hand on the marker but have two fairly lengthy diversions just ahead.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I've no idea who you are Slarge, but thanks to BB forum, yours is the story of the Divide for me.
Go Slarge!
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have to say that this is tough. The distances are so big even to the next bend, that it's hard to feel like progress is happening. I have changed my mindset since the first few days - no longer chasing a "position" but now aiming to finish in under 20 days. If 20 people beat me that's great too.

I only have 500 miles to go. Sounds easy.....and I am not objecting to lodgings at all. In fact the shower, ability to lay out kit and get a comfy bed are quite appealing. I think of the 15 or 16 nights so far, I have slept in 2 campground toilets, 1 hotel that I was more comfy sleeping in my bag than the bed, 4 bivvy's and the rest hotels/lodges.

The first 2 weeks were brilliant- amazing scenery etc, but now it just needs finishing.... New Mexico isn't appealing to me yet...
Thanks for the support everyone- it means a lot!
psling

Post by psling »

slarge wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:50 am I have to say that this is tough. The distances are so big even to the next bend, that it's hard to feel like progress is happening.
I don't think it was ever meant to be easy!! You are doing stunningly well and making incredible progress. Manageable chunks to the end now, no-one can ever take this achievement away from you :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Keep at it Steve, hopefully the wind will be on your back :-bd

500 miles doesn’t sound a lot when you consider how far you’ve come but I bet that’s more than most riders monthly mileage! Good luck with the closing stages :-bd

- - -

It always amazes me these races with time/distance. I look back on my own life and see where I’ve been for the last two weeks, all the activities/jobs in and around the house that I’ve done, family and work commitments too etc etc and they’re still riding their bikes. Puts in into prospective how far/long the race is if that makes sense
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

no longer chasing a "position" but now aiming to finish in under 20 days
Looks like you are on track and if i ever do it i would be happy to just finish the thing - its a long ride

Chapeau and keep pedalling
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Go go Stevie!!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A short update on the TDR including a bit on "the broom" - https://bikepacking.com/news/2022-tour- ... e-video-2/
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Steve if you get the opportunity to ride the original route from Pie Town then take it. The Gila is tough but an amazing end to the ride.

Go Steve!
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer