Have we discussed shelters this year (I'verounded it down)!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Have we discussed shelters this year!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearlegged wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:57 pm If the Lunar Solo wasn't big enough, I'd be surprised if the Deschutes is what you're after.
It's (kindof) the bigger brother apparently.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Edited: outer measurements are pretty much the same, but lack of inner/net in the Deschutes may give you a tiny bit more room.
Using the suggested Serenity bug net reduces the legroom by 16cm compared to the LS.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I'm surprised at 5'10" the Solo isn't big enough. Same height and tent here, and it's incredibly roomy, especially when the side guy's are used.
Simple to put up , weighs bugger all and it keeps the bugs out.

In what way isn't it big enough? :???:
redefined_cycles

Bearlegged wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:11 am Edited: outer measurements are pretty much the same, but lack of inner/net in the Deschutes may give you a tiny bit more room.
Using the suggested Serenity bug net reduces the legroom by 16cm compared to the LS.
Oh. Thanks for that..i had always assumed its bigger than t gatewood so must be also than the LS.

Good info ta..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf are you confusing the Gatewood with the Deschutes because the Gatewood is smaller and lower, whereas the Deschutes is pretty much a LS outer.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pedant alert - the LS doesn't have an inner 😉
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Deschutes (single skin, shaped tarp with no "inner"):

Lunar Solo (single skin, shaped tarp with an "inner", in terms of bug/slug proofing):

Gatewood (single skin, shaped tarp but a bit smaller and lighter-weight than the above):

I can only apologise for the mahoosive images. Still, Shaf'll like that ;-)
redefined_cycles

Shaf are you confusing the Gatewood with the Deschutes because the Gatewood is smaller and lower, whereas the Deschutes is pretty much a LS outer.
No Stu. For some reason I always thought its bigger than the Lunar Solo.

In response the other Qs, yes I know the gatewood becomes a cape and that only the LS is actually with sn inner/floor/bug screen etc.

Thanks for them measurements all...
redefined_cycles

Re: Have we discussed shelters this year (I'verounded it down)!

Tarptent Notch I'm gonna go for God Willing. Only queation bothering me (just a little) is whether to spend the extra few quid and get the dyneema version. Weight saving isn't as much the priority here (as the cost is obviously significantly higher) but I think the ability to shed water after a wet night is a deal breaker.

Rich, to anseer your question from near the start of the thread, 'a home away from home' is I suppose the answer. Especially since recent peice hikes have meant that I can't actually go and do shifts 200 miles away with the bike (in car foe the ride next day) and get a cheap hotel afterwards and still come home with aome sort of wage. A home away from home - as long as the campsites with facilities don't become extrontinately expensive - would be them very sites so I could recuperate properly abd then ride :smile:

Interested to see what anyone has to say. Price wise I'll be paying about £200 or more extra for the dyneema but weight is only about 190g less. Will shwd water better (no saturation at all apparently) andit has a small pitch size with double wall. :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If it me (and obviously it's not), I wouldn't go the Cuben route. The perceived benefits just don't justify the increase in cost. I've also found that some Cuben shelters can be harder to pitch and don't always pack down so well. If you were looking to save every last gram then maybe but if you were, you'd probably have picked a different shelter anyway?
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’d personally never use a dyneema shelter unless I wanted absolute minimum weight.
The massive extra cost for marginal gain against silnylon is imo unjustified.
I’d also be concerned about the non existent resistance to abrasion of dcf. The Mylar coating will rub through in no time if packed wrong for example. I’ve heard it said that a simple dcf tarp is a better bet than a dcf tent for this reason. Less potential for abrasion points at pole sleeves etc.
I’ve not used one however, so could be talking out of my hole!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you put a shelter away wet, you can get it out in the day at a food stop (if it’s dry) and dry it off in a matter of minutes usually.
Remember, that’s what I did when we camped on Dartmoor.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Interesting that about the Cuben. Yes, I had realised that the cuben Cuban doesn't pack down as nicely but didn't know about how fast it could wear through.

Yes Luke, I recall how you dried your tarp and it's one of the reasons why I was thinking cuben too. Pack size is probably the most important for me though and if that non-dyneema will pack down better then it might just be 'the one'. Saves me a load of dosh too hopefully.

Kindof excited about this all now :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a couple of DCF tarps. They definitely don't pack as small as Silnylon. Marc provided a wee bag for each and I always carry them in that, avoiding any abrasion issues..
Disco

Post by Disco »

Have you considered the Tarptent moment shaf? Similar dimensions to the notch but uses one pole through a sleeve rather than carrying two separate poles. It does come in a little heavier though. Although I don't know how heavy a notch and two bear bones poles come up to.
redefined_cycles

Hadn't considered a Moment but thanks for the heads up. Mainly its the Notch that the ultra lite walking groups go on about and I think I have a couple of bearbones poles on hand and ready (about 90g all in AFAIR) :smile:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There's a BNIB notch on FB for £350. It's on the UL hiking gear exchange page
redefined_cycles

Thanks Ben. Yes, I found that one i think and got my mate to message the seller. He doesn't like to give his number out apparently and wants to only deal via FB. Domeone on the TrekLite forum also commented that it seems to have been up for sale for a long time... Maybe he's allowing it to mature with UKs tax policies (someones gotta pay for the Jubillee!) so he can then start charging £450 and give his email out :lol:
Disco

Post by Disco »

I personally would avoid the FB sale, unless the person is a well known that your familiar with or others can vouch for them.
I would buy direct from Tarptent for the same over all cost, so that I've got peace of mind and the Tarptent guarantee it comes with.
There is a trend at the moment for some individuals to be buying Tarptents and selling them on and putting £50 + on top. I would avoid them myself.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Disco wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:13 am I personally would avoid the FB sale, unless the person is a well known that your familiar with or others can vouch for them.
I would buy direct from Tarptent for the same over all cost, so that I've got peace of mind and the Tarptent guarantee it comes with.
There is a trend at the moment for some individuals to be buying Tarptents and selling them on and putting £50 + on top. I would avoid them myself.
I know bugger all about buying and selling on FB, but my missus ordered £40 worth of something from what looked like a legitimate company on FB last year and got ripped off. As you say, caution advised.
redefined_cycles

benp1 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:44 am Another one here, it's like buses!

https://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?thr ... ost-220145
Lol. That was actually second to me and another lad calling Dan starting discussion on his thread about TT Notch. I messaged her yesterday for info and she put the price up today. But for some reason she messagede back saying someone beat me to it :grin:

Like buses... aha, yes, they are. Disco, yes that's a reasonable idea to just get direct from TT...