Salsa Anthing Cradle

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Salsa Anthing Cradle

Post by Leerowe76 »

Has anyone any experience with the Salsa Anything Cradle, looking at one at the moment due to my current Revelate harness squashing the cables and this Salsa harness seems to fit the bill, or if anyone knows of another harness which is none cable squashing but kinda lightweight that would be ace ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Richpips

Re: Salsa Anthing Cradle

Post by Richpips »

We've two, they are ace.

I'll happily take the weight hit for the stability of load holding and the ease of use.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have one - very stable, but over 400g...

I found that it affects the steering toomuch, and bar stability when manoeuvring the bike through gates etc, but I then cut down the brackets by 25mm and it's made a massive improvement, plus the weight has dropped to 375g.

I'm impressed enough to use it on the tour divide.....
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Cheers rich, they can't be much heavier than the Revelate but yeah they look simple and effective. Just having a browse round to see if I can source one most places out of stock ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Another good review then Steve ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mart

Post by Mart »

slarge wrote: โ†‘Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm I then cut down the brackets by 25mm and it's made a massive improvement, plus the weight has dropped to 375g.
Steve - when you cut it down, did you have to do any drilling/tapping for the bolts. Also did you trim the bolts too?
2924 miles per Gallon
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

slarge wrote: โ†‘Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm I have one - very stable, but over 400g...

I found that it affects the steering toomuch, and bar stability when manoeuvring the bike through gates etc, but I then cut down the brackets by 25mm and it's made a massive improvement, plus the weight has dropped to 375g.

I'm impressed enough to use it on the tour divide.....
The weight saving is one thing, but you can also drop the angle to move the weight closer to the bike which I do on the drop bar bike
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I also have.
Brilliant
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

slarge wrote: โ†‘Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm I have one - very stable, but over 400g...

I just weighed the Revelate and that comes in over 400g so should work out okay, managed to find one in stock aswell so happy days ๐Ÿ˜€
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I've been using one for 18 months now. Very impressed at the simplicity of it. Ass aid above you can adjust its angle if it feels a bit heavy although its limit is 8lbs.
You may or may not find this useful:
https://fat-bike.com/2020/11/salsa-exp- ... le-system/
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Might be a bit small but Dr Jon strapdeck? https://bikepacking.com/gear/drj0n-bagw ... em-review/ Not the best link possibly, but there's always Google ;-)

IIRC the stuff Stu was selling - Acepac (not there now, supply / EU issues mebe??) had a harness with spacers.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: โ†‘Tue May 31, 2022 11:45 am Might be a bit small but Dr Jon strapdeck? https://bikepacking.com/gear/drj0n-bagw ... em-review/ Not the best link possibly, but there's always Google ;-)

IIRC the stuff Stu was selling - Acepac (not there now, supply / EU issues mebe??) had a harness with spacers.
I've got a strapdeck, and that will only cope with very small loads. Think baguette size.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I bow to your wisdom, experience and beautiful way with words Rich :cool:
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Another +1 for the salsa here. Happy to pay a weight penalty for rock solid stability and never found the handling to be an issue
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Leerowe...

I have the Dr Jon strapdeck and modified some Voile straps (longer ones are too wide to get through the holes so needed shaving) to make it work with a LOMO 7 or 8L or the Revelate 11L drybag. This is waht it looks like once all strapped on. Takes me at least a half hour each time getting it all on as its a bit of a jigsaw to get the pieces in the correct order and the carbon tubing I got given or cut from some broken seatpost at some point...

Honestly, it is fairly stable in this guise. But... the faff of getting the strapping on and off, then the shaving of the Voile straps and getting everything in order (as well as worrying that the carbon tubing might at some point contact and dig into my carbon bars). If I was to do it again I'd just gave saved and got the Salsa cradle thingy in the first place.

But, partly why this had to be done this way is cos the Salsa wouldn't have worked on the road bike with its aero shaped bars :smile: I hope whatever you decide works really well for you mate and this thread is making me think once again about getting a Salsa cradle...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

every time they get discussed i get tempted then i look at them and think there is no way I can pay that for some bits of plastic

Massive mark up on all things Salsa bikepacking IMHO
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:05 pm every time they get discussed i get tempted then i look at them and think there is no way I can pay that for some bits of plastic

Massive mark up on all things Salsa bikepacking IMHO
Isn't anyone making sinilar yet? Surely their patent must be over by now :smile:
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I have the Dr Jon strapdeck and modified some Voile straps (longer ones are too wide to get through the holes so needed shaving)
Just to say that all of the standard Voile straps including the longest (32") fit through the holes on the drj0n Strapdeck just fine. I can only assume you have the XL straps which are wider.
redefined_cycles

Yes. I ended up buying the XL Steven so I could try and wrap the thickness of a full drybag properly... I suppose I could have gone with the standard Voile and used two per side.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

redefined_cycles wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:37 pm Yes. I ended up buying the XL Steven so I could try and wrap the thickness of a full drybag properly... I suppose I could have gone with the standard Voile and used two per side.
I thought the longest XL and STD were the same (32") just that the XL is wider?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

stevenshand wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:45 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:37 pm Yes. I ended up buying the XL Steven so I could try and wrap the thickness of a full drybag properly... I suppose I could have gone with the standard Voile and used two per side.
I think that's the case. I have a strapdeck set-up from wildcat on my Cutty and just use "normal" Voile straps on an Alpkit 13l dual-end dry bag. Works brilliantly to keep the dry bag from rubbing on the head tube. It's also so small and light I leave it attached. I don't think I'd leave the Salsa one on all the time.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Not to gang up on Shaf but his trimming activities do sound like "operator-error" :wink: I also use standard Voiles (that didn't thinning) and they seem to go round the widest things I've got (fnar!).
redefined_cycles

stevenshand wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:45 pm
AFAIR Steven, there is some overlap. So the longest standard width is where the XL started. I think I got the longest XL which is plenty with my little carbon cutoffs to wrap round a fully loaded Revelate drybag (the size with the purge valve and tapered).
redefined_cycles

Some more Pics Leerowe after lots more faff and the complete setup with the strapdeck. The XL straps are about 32" and the one to stabiliae it (none xl) is 25"

I think I'm gonna soon follow your steps and get myself a Salsa fixed thing or even the Revelate harness...

Once all setup though its all stable and I think I have the xl strapdeck (7 big holes across).
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

redefined_cycles wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:20 pm Some more Pics Leerowe after lots more faff and the complete setup with the strapdeck. The XL straps are about 32" and the one to stabiliae it (none xl) is 25"

I think I'm gonna soon follow your steps and get myself a Salsa fixed thing or even the Revelate harness...

I've got the Revelate and just hate the fact of it squashing the cables tbh apart from that its a very secure harness and never had any issues with it, just managed to get a hold of the Salsa cradle, looks well on the bike in the cable department just need to play around straps to get the desired effect
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.