Dervla Murphy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Dervla Murphy

Post by psling »

(I don't think this has been covered here yet?) but sad news that Dervla Murphy has died. What an amazing life she must have lived and an inspiration to anyone aspiring to travel by bike. Full Tilt is a must read.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jobro

Re: Dervla Murphy

Post by jobro »

Full Tilt is indeed a great read. I think it's often been called the best travel book ever written.
Can you imagine taking a pistol with you on a bike trip to Europe and beyond? And using it to fight off wolves!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Good to see she has a bit of a following here too, not surprisingly. I first learnt of her sad death via Bridget (borderer) on Facebook. I read her books obsessively throughout my teens. A unique character, who we won't quite see the likes of again I don't think. Sad though it is, those (surprisingly) few who have read her seem to be creating a bit of renewed interest and hopefully bring her to a new audience. I saw Al Humphreys had posted on his social media, and (influencer that I am) I posted about her on Instagram and an old friend (with far more inflence than me as editor of a well-known national news site) asked me for a recommondation.
landel

Post by landel »

RIP, an absolute legend and inspirational character. Must pull out Full Tilt for another read.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

“Coming fast down a mountain road always thrilled her; touring the Balkans in her 70s, she was clocked descending at 65mph by a military patrol and reproved for not applying her brakes.”*

Nuff said.

*From the Guardian obituary
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Thanks for posting, I’d never heard of her, so will catch up.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0093x7x
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

She definitely played a part in inspiring me to do my transcontinental rides.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC