Helmet camera reccomendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Martin B

Helmet camera reccomendations

Post by Martin B »

After narrowly avoiding a head on with a corner cutting car yesterday while cycling the kids to school, i think it's time to get a helmet camera just in case the worst happens.
I'm not looking to blow the bank on it so GoPros are probably out. Budget approx £150. I have seen the Akaso brand on Amazon (but i detest Amazon) and the Akaso cameras although generally good reviews some reviews are not.
Any reccommendations from the Boners?
sean_iow

Re: Helmet camera reccomendations

Post by sean_iow »

No experience of them myself but these keep coming up on various social media feeds of mine

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bul ... on-camera/

Any boners got one and can comment? I'm also thinking of getting a camera for the commutes and this looks to be designed for this purpose.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got an Akaso Brave 7 LE. It's weather resistant without a big case on and the video/sound quality I great for the money. It comes with a whole host of mounts and getting clips off the camera with the free app is a doddle.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I am looking at seatpost mount cameras instead as recording life seems to be longer. I have a Cyclic bar mount which is pretty good but only for 2.5 hours.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

sean_iow wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 am No experience of them myself but these keep coming up on various social media feeds of mine

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bul ... on-camera/

Any boners got one and can comment? I'm also thinking of getting a camera for the commutes and this looks to be designed for this purpose.
I have one, though an earlier model, and I wouldn't recommend it. It needs to be angled exactly right to have a chance of a decent image - pointed too high and it exposes for the sky and cars are too dark, pointed to low and they're out of shot.

I eventually found the documentation (there's no manual, or even a guide, just some YouTube videos of the guy explaining stuff), but kept forgetting which switch you have to change to charge it (yes, you have to remember to switch it to chraging mode, and then back again afterwards, otherwise it doesn't charge, or it's in the wrong mode).

If the battery runs out, or you swap it, you have to connect it to a computer and manually reset the time for the timestamp (which I've heard Police forces need to be correct). Someone wrote a batch file to do it, but it's still a pain.

On the odd occasion I remembered it for my commute (obviously I can't blame my forgetfulness on it) it was invariably flat, or nearly flat, or I thought I'd set it recording and I hadn't. It's languished in a drawer, and every time I experience sub standard driving, I think about trying to make it work, but on the list of attractive jobs, it's just below resealing around the bath.

Some of these issues may have been sorted. There seem to be people who are happy with it. It was pretty cheap (paid about £40 with 2 batteries) but probably too cheap.
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

Thanks for the replies. I've done some YouTube reviews and have gone for the Akaso V50x - not the best internal mic, but seems to have good image stabilization and low light use compared with other Akaso models. And it doesn't break the bank. I can't see why it won't fit my needs while commuting.