Igaro D2 or Sinewave revolution

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Andiphim

Igaro D2 or Sinewave revolution

Post by Andiphim »

I am looking to update my usb charger, what's the opinion on these two chargers?
The only down side I can see to either is the D2 has those little pins that look ready to be snapped off.
Also one is £50 dearer, is it worth it.
Any help much appreciated.
lune ranger

Re: Igaro D2 or Sinewave revolution

Post by lune ranger »

I’m clumsy AF and haven’t managed to break my Igaro. The pins mean the input cable is easy to replace and that is a good thing as far as I’m concerned. Charging performance is great.
I saw a tip, that I follow, which is to use a USB C to USB adapter and plug that into the unit. Seal with silicone sealant to keep it in place and you then have a ‘sacrificial’ output port. Any problems like wetness or overuse/bending gets put through the £5 adapter not the expensive converter.
Last edited by lune ranger on Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Looked into this recently and came to the conclusion this was a better option

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/cyc ... ng-device/

Cycle to charge higher output than sine wave ( I own a beacon fwiw and they are great ) and cheaper .

I don't have it as decided to just leave my beacon on as I am riding for so long each day on the road I don't need the best possible power output
Sorry for adding another to the mix
Andiphim

Post by Andiphim »

Well that's thrown a spanner into the works. :lol:
To be honest I would prefer the charger to be in my top tube bag out of the way.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I had a C2C which stopped working so I sent it back, got another one which was also patchy. It might have been lost in translation from German to English but the message I got back could be paraphrased with "user error, bugger off and never darken my doors again".

:roll:
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I've had an original igaro (d1?) and two igaro d2s, all admittedly bought second hand and all of which stopped working after relatively little use. I also had a c2c (bought new) that met the same fate after only a couple of trips, but quite a long spell in the parts bin. I had a lot of use out of a b&m combined light and usb charger but that too bit the dust after 3 full years on the commuter.

After these experiences i wanted something bombproof and relatively cheap and, based on a few internet reviews, bought the velocharger mk2 from spa cycles for £82. I just used it on a 6 day trip and it didn't miss a beat - kicked in at 8mph and cut out at 30 to avoid overcharging. I used it to charge my wahoo and a powerpack and a 20 mile fast-ish commute put about 30% charge on the wahoo.

The charger isn't a particularly exciting looking thing, but has a long lead with a waterproof connector to a dynamo connecting fly lead and a usb out. Its apparently waterproof, and designed to be frame mounted, but I prefer to keep it safe and out the way in my frame bag. I wired my son edelux lamp and the charger together and use the switch on the lamp to toggle between light and power.

It's UK designed and made in Portugal (?) and comes with a lifetime guarantee. Spa claim its the only one they sell that they've never had a return on. For the money, I have to say I've been really impressed and just hope it has the longevity to match it's performance.
Andiphim

Post by Andiphim »

Looks like there is a new option in the running.
At that price the velocharger might be worth a try, and I like the fact its got a flying lead attached.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Hopefully I've used the right term there! It's basically a lead with two bare wires that you attach to the dynamo, then there's a connector so that you can split the lead to remove either the wheel or the charging unit without disconnecting from the dynamo.

And despite some mixed reviews on the net, I've always found spa cycles service to be excellent. I paid an extra fiver and they next day couriered it.
due

Post by due »

Thanks for the Velocharger recommendation, I was about to post this exact same thread!

Word of warning - steer clear of the B&M USB Werk, it has an internal battery that needs topping up periodically (via dynamo) to avoid killing off the entire device. I didn't know this and now it's going in the bin. Sorry planet :|