Anyone seen Bob's Torque Wrench?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Anyone seen Bob's Torque Wrench?

Post by Dave Barter »

Couldn't resist the title

I am in the market for a decent(ish) torque wrench like the Park ATD-1 for bike fettling but they are all out of stock everywhere. Can someone recommend me something in the £50 range or is this not spendy enough?

PlanetX have this https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWMTWSV ... TOJWMTWSV2 but surely it's pants?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Re: Anyone seen Bob's Torque Wrench?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Don't get the pile o poo Dave... Surely there's somewhere that will sell you a Norbar. What kind of torque settings would you need it for mainly? Spend the money on a decent one IMO. :smile:

_________
For ref, I mainly use my big classic one (from my dads garage) for BB duties and they last ages. Smaller one is the manual version that came with my canyon frameset and it goes from 1 to 8nm. I only wver use it to get a rough feel for when I'm in range and to ensure I don't go over values. Then use pincer grips (like with my fingers) and try to calibrate the NM by hands. Calibrate your hand I'd say :geek: as delicate carbon components are too costly a mistake to get a piece of rubbish tool on em.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon May 16, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

What torque range are you after...? Maybe the RATCHET ROCKET LITE NTX+ (2 - 6 Nm) or the COMBOTORQ WRENCH (3 - 12 Nm)?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a couple of Draper ones that I use for the car/motorbike/bicycle. One in 1/2" and one in 3/8". Good enough for the amount of use they get. Had them years but not have them recalibrated so might well be off!

I do have a little topeak bit type set for doing up hex bolts to low torque settings, mainly because it's easy and quick to use and I keep it in my tool chest drawer of bike tools
redefined_cycles

Boab wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:54 pm What torque range are you after...? Maybe the RATCHET ROCKET LITE NTX+ (2 - 6 Nm) or the COMBOTORQ WRENCH (3 - 12 Nm)?
My low torque is same as this COMBOTORQ and high torque (40 and above) is an antique type draper. Thanks for that Rocket-lite link Bob.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I needed a 1/4" torque wrench the other month Dave (all mine were too big). Anyway, I went for a Sealey Premier and it's very good. 5 - 25Nm plus ft/lb scale and they're also certified calibrated unlike a lot of others. Just below budget.

https://whiterosetools.com/products/sea ... n-eva-tray
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've heard that the Giant ones are ok, although never used one myself...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/shed-torque-wrench
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
redefined_cycles

I needed a 1/4" torque wrench the other month Dave (all mine were too big). Anyway, I went for a Sealey Premier and it's very good. 5 - 25Nm plus ft/lb scale and they're also certified calibrated unlike a lot of others. Just below budget.

Thanks Stu. Ordered myself one. Looks a bargain that. Dave... be quick as I doubt there'll be many left shortly. Free delivery too :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:28 pm

Thanks Stu. Ordered myself one. Looks a bargain that. Dave... be quick as I doubt there'll be many left shortly. Free delivery too :-bd
In like Flynn ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

There's not much that will cover the really low torque stuff, Teng 1/4" drives start at 5Nm and go up to 25Nm, that's probably the best £48 you will spend. Halfords wrenches look identical to Norbar (I'm guessing they are made by them) but don't go low enough and smallest is 3/8" anyway. Calibration is good but be warned that they drift through time. They can be adjusted but require a calibration bicycle. Never wind them all the way out or store them wound up either!

I have a Gedore/Torqueleader 1.6-8Nm dial gauge wrench, I should hasten to add that I didn't spend anywhere near retail as I got it on Gumtree for less than your budget, always worth doing a search of the usual places as sometimes you get extremely lucky! :shock:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Too late but I have the PX one and its really good. Quite a few other manus sell the same one with different branding. I've also two drapers for the big nuts and they are dead good too.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:47 pm Couldn't resist the title

I am in the market for a decent(ish) torque wrench like the Park ATD-1 for bike fettling but they are all out of stock everywhere. Can someone recommend me something in the £50 range or is this not spendy enough?

PlanetX have this https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWMTWSV ... TOJWMTWSV2 but surely it's pants?
I've got one, really happy with it. I did blow the last one but that was user error trying to remove my crank and jumping on it, unbelievably it didn't end well.... went straight out an bought another.