Locks, for commuting, superlight, strong and reliable...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Locks, for commuting, superlight, strong and reliable...

Post by redefined_cycles »

Is there such a thing as need one to do the long 70 mike commutee but then long the bike at the far end. Usual cheap and sheerful suspects that can be cut open with a strong saw or have their locks seize up, need not apply.

Please thanks kindly. Currently been using zipties but that's where there is higher footfall and parked up really closeby.
belugabob

Re: Locks, for commuting, superlight, strong and reliable...

Post by belugabob »

Ignore the light bit and suck up the weight for the first ride in - then leave it locked to whatever you'd lock your bike to
redefined_cycles

belugabob wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:46 pm Ignore the light bit and suck up the weight for the first ride in - then leave it locked to whatever you'd lock your bike to
Good point, well said/thought. But I already have 2 of them. About 2kg each I'd imagine (maybe more). One is a chain locked up at work with a silver or gold combo lock. Problem is I'm leaving this work place in 2 weeks and will be picking shifts across the region.

Hotels are out the question as I then couldn't afford to come this far and then pay the hotel and train home! :sad: If I took too hefty a lock it then slows me down too much (like by about half an hour maybe or at least it increases the stuff I have to carry, as I'll also have my uniform and shoes :smile:

Pain in the ear question, I know. Booked for Nottingham this Wednesday so might either take zipties or one of my massive locks :sad:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

there is no superlight and super secure lock ther eis
light and a deterent
heavy and might work

Given the free availability of battery powered angel grinders does it even matter which you go with? Neither is deterring a determined and well equipped thief
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I find the folding locks are pretty good for weight/security/ease of carrying and locking up.

Or there are ones you wear as a belt? Might be worth a look
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:18 pm there is no superlight and super secure lock ther eis
light and a deterent
heavy and might work

Given the free availability of battery powered angel grinders does it even matter which you go with? Neither is deterring a determined and well equipped thief
Hood points John, thanks. Yes, I will be using the lock as part of a ''theft deterrent system' which am hoping will do me the trick :smile: Only question is 'what' as I really think I need more of a deterrant than my current ultra lightweight setup.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Hiplok Gold, wot you wear round your waist...? Will skin you £90 though...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob. Does it get uncomfy wearing it for extended periods (like maybe 5 hours?).

This is the one that's caught my eye for the mo :???:
https://nichollasbrown.wordpress.com/20 ... bike-lock/
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:22 pm Thanks Bob. Does it get uncomfy wearing it for extended periods (like maybe 5 hours?).
No idea. A colleague has one, but she just commutes across Oxford.
I wonder if it'll be like a hydration pack, annoying to start with, but then you forget about it... 🤷
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It weighs the same whether around your waist or on the bike.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'd suggest that keeping the weight on the bike would be better, as you'd not be lifting it when getting out of the saddle.etc.
psling

Post by psling »

When you're leaving your bike for a longer period of time you can increase security / reduce desirability by spending a couple of extra minutes locking it up. Remove seat post/saddle and take with you, remove front wheel and lock it alongside frame/rear wheel, add a padlock through rear disc (or rear spokes), etc..
That'll help deter thieves looking for a quick snatch & grab.
Maybe look at movement alarms, are there any that link to your 'phone for example.
ps I have a hiplock and don't find it uncomfortable but I haven't done more than about 20 - 30 miles with it and don't ride hard & fast!!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

This discussion raises the issue of what constitutes good infrastructure, and I feel that secure storage for bikes is often overlooked.

In larger towns and cities, it should be easier, due to the potentially higher demand for such facilities.

Maybe councils could use some of the empty shop buildings for this purpose ?

In other locations - hospitals, universities, office blocks, etc, decent storage should be the norm, rather than trying to cater for more and more cars
redefined_cycles

belugabob wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:18 pm This discussion raises the issue of what constitutes good infrastructure, and I feel that secure storage for bikes is often overlooked.

In larger towns and cities, it should be easier, due to the potentially higher demand for such facilities.

Maybe councils could use some of the empty shop buildings for this purpose ?

In other locations - hospitals, universities, office blocks, etc, decent storage should be the norm, rather than trying to cater for more and more cars
This is very true and to share some positives. In the 20 years of cycle commuting I am noticing a trend towards better bike storage and parking etc. For example at George Eliot where I did my shift the other day and asked someone parking their bike in the 'lock up cage', for the code. She told me I could obtain it via security. Also at Goole (both non-city so historically haven't ever considered cycle parking as much as, lets say, Leeds) I've managed to locate 'the cage' but sadly it has swipe access only and with me being temporary staff eould find it rather hard/cumbersome getting access.

Hence I need to just find somewehere with good footfall and properly fasten it something with summat solid :-bd

Just gonna use this for Nottingham (75 miles) and see how I get on.
redefined_cycles

Image managed a pre-made velcro thing I made previously to tidy the actual cable/Kryptonite. Have also found a bike parking map for Nottingham City Hospital so just need to decide which place to park up :smile:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Good luck - hope it all works out.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:24 pm managed a pre-made velcro thing I made previously to tidy the actual cable/Kryptonite. Have also found a bike parking map for Nottingham City Hospital so just need to decide which place to park up :smile:
I wouldnt trust my bike for more than 15 mins with that lock as those cables can be cut with a junior hacksaw in 2 minutes. Personally I would use a small top notch D-Lock to attach the frame to an object every time and take the wieght penalty. Security bolts on stem etc can help as nicking bars and levers seems to be a thing now. As said up thread take the saddle/post off when you lock it.

The other obvious solution is to make the bike less desirable to nick so swap any thing of value off for a cheaper equivalent eg 105 for Claris.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep. Your bike only has to be less easy to steal/desirable compared to the one next to it.
redefined_cycles

wriggles wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:45 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:24 pm managed a pre-made velcro thing I made previously to tidy the actual cable/Kryptonite. Have also found a bike parking map for Nottingham City Hospital so just need to decide which place to park up :smile:
I wouldnt trust my bike for more than 15 mins with that lock as those cables can be cut with a junior hacksaw in 2 minutes. Personally I would use a small top notch D-Lock to attach the frame to an object every time and take the wieght penalty. Security bolts on stem etc can help as nicking bars and levers seems to be a thing now. As said up thread take the saddle/post off when you lock it.

The other obvious solution is to make the bike less desirable to nick so swap any thing of value off for a cheaper equivalent eg 105 for Claris.
Ta for that info. I never actually knew that it can be slit in 2 mins with a hacksaw. This is my current (other) lock/chain combo I currently use at work. The cuttable cable was meant to be the secondary lock to this chain I suppose...

Two more shifts left for my dilemma to properly kick in :-bd
redefined_cycles

Yep. Your bike only has to be less easy to steal/desirable compared to the one next to it.
Interesring little project this is becoming hey. See, commuting never becomes broing :lol: How the heck do you make an IndyFab Crown Jewel less desirable. I have removed the DA cranks and put some Ultegra (PM) ones on already and I suppose there's a touch of rust here and there. Tires and rims are both mismatched :smile: Stem takes ti torx bolts or summat :sad:

I think the fun of riding to work with a Sora might just not be the same :o
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A friend of mine wrapped most of his frame in black insulating tape when using it for commuting. Once scuffed up a bit in use it looked quite tatty but the frame was still perfect underneath.
redefined_cycles

Might have to go back to plan a then and continue researching this or similar https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/seatyloc ... ck-compact

Closest thing to a D lock apparently and rated to SoldSecureSilver r I think. Plus it can be made compact enough that I could carry it with the rest of my gear (uniform, shoes, commuter clothes etc).

:cry: (not really crying but the icon seemed appropriate).
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:12 am A friend of mine wrapped most of his frame in black insulating tape when using it for commuting. Once scuffed up a bit in use it looked quite tatty but the frame was still perfect underneath.
That's a bit like those leather covers that our American cousins use, to protect the front of their cars from stone chips - maybe adds a bit to the resale value, down the line, but the car looks minging, in the meantime
redefined_cycles

belugabob wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:12 am A friend of mine wrapped most of his frame in black insulating tape when using it for commuting. Once scuffed up a bit in use it looked quite tatty but the frame was still perfect underneath.
That's a bit like those leather covers that our American cousins use, to protect the front of their cars from stone chips - maybe adds a bit to the resale value, down the line, but the car looks minging, in the meantime
Plus... doubt I'd wanna ride my bike 70ish miles to work after adorning it with ugliness :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

At least it might still be there for the ride back though.

The bigger, heavier lock you have, the more attention you bring to the bike and the more you advertise its value.