Kids bike sizing -24/26

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Kids bike sizing -24/26

Post by ootini »

Hi all. My son has now outgrown his Hoy Bonaly 20, as he'll be nine I November and is currently 135cm tall. This puts him comfortably in the 24" bike height range, according to most size guides, but also just at the bottom of the size range for a 26" wheeled bike.
I'm thinking he'll get longer out of the larger wheeled option, and I'd imagine 26" MTBs are more readily available on the second hand market.
I guess the question is, is there any real difference between a 26" junior bike, and a 26" xs framed adult bike ? I don't want to buy something too large, but I want to get as much longevity out of it as possible.
Or should I stick to looking for a 24" wheeled bike ?

Thanks
Boab

Re: Kids bike sizing -24/26

Post by Boab »

ootini wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:53 am I guess the question is, is there any real difference between a 26" junior bike, and a 26" xs framed adult bike ?
If you look at Islabikes for instance, the main difference is things like the brake levers and what not, are all kid friendly, which you wont get on an adult bike.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Boab wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:32 am
ootini wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:53 am I guess the question is, is there any real difference between a 26" junior bike, and a 26" xs framed adult bike ?
If you look at Islabikes for instance, the main difference is things like the brake levers and what not, are all kid friendly, which you wont get on an adult bike.
Ahhh now that I hadn't thought of!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'd say get the bike that fits him now.

Decent kids bikes arent cheap, but you usually get your money back on them.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

that above is generally true but i am fairly sure the 24 " bikes were owned for the least amount of time

you can certainly get smaller 26 er frame sizes
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Richpips wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:36 pm I'd say get the bike that fits him now.

I'd echo this. If you're worried it won't get a lot of use then get a second hand one. I personally wouldn't want to potentially put off my daughter from riding with a bike that's too big.

I also like buying bikes so it's a win, win! :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Since we're on thus subject... can anyone suggest where/what to get as kids sized brake levers. Trying to move my 8 year old from his CNOC16 to his Carrera which is 20 inch wheels. He doesn't like the carrera due to the brake levers being 'big sized' so hurt his hands.

Any info appreciated :smile:
psling

Post by psling »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 pm Since we're on thus subject... can anyone suggest where/what to get as kids sized brake levers. Trying to move my 8 year old from his CNOC16 to his Carrera which is 20 inch wheels. He doesn't like the carrera due to the brake levers being 'big sized' so hurt his hands.

Swap the levers from the CNOC onto the Carrera?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ootini

Post by ootini »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 pm Since we're on thus subject... can anyone suggest where/what to get as kids sized brake levers. Trying to move my 8 year old from his CNOC16 to his Carrera which is 20 inch wheels. He doesn't like the carrera due to the brake levers being 'big sized' so hurt his hands.

I know you have the bike, but if you're interested, my son's Hoy Bonaly 20 will be in the classifieds shortly...
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I went to a small 26 and missed out 24.

Bought a nice light frame and forks that lockout and then bodged it from the parts bin just buying some short cranks.

Decent hydro brakes adjust a lot, old school Shimano flippy shifters are nearly indestructible and kids don't know they aren't cool

Worked very well and no second mortgage

Up for sale as they've outgrown it
redefined_cycles

psling wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:17 pm

Swap the levers from the CNOC onto the Carrera?
I actually thought that. But the CNOC is nice and smooth with new inner/outer cables... BB... Tires. So wouldn't want to make it into a none/poor runner and deprive the next owner :smile:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Richpips wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:36 pm I'd say get the bike that fits him now.

Absolutely. We got an Islabike for my youngest in 2020. This year, due to price rises and a supply shortage, we sold it for exactly the same as we paid for it :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 pm Since we're on thus subject... can anyone suggest where/what to get as kids sized brake levers.
Might these do the job?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/20-and-24 ... /R-p-12114
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I had the same dilemma last year. In the end I went with the 24" option, my son isn't that confident a bike rider and I really didn't want to put him off riding. We found a secondhand Carrera on eBay and it suits him well, he'll probably have outgrown it by the end of the year but we'll sell it on to someone else then.
redefined_cycles

Bearlegged wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:12 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 pm Since we're on thus subject... can anyone suggest where/what to get as kids sized brake levers.
Might these do the job?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/20-and-24 ... /R-p-12114
Thanks BL. Ordered.. pity they never had noodles and boots :grin:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Went from a 24 to xxs 26 inbred (14in) for my wee lad just before he turned 9. He’s still using it nearly 4 years later but is now ready for a bigger frame.