2 person tent recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pete68

2 person tent recommendations

Post by pete68 »

Looking for something reasonably light,a bit of space for 2 and kit and not too expensive. Don't mind spending a reasonable amount but not silly amounts , maybe upto £350 ish for the right one
Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: 2 person tent recommendations

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What kind of conditions are you expecting? Low level sheltered stuff or mountain tops in winter?
May the bridges you burn light your way
pete68

Post by pete68 »

Not winter conditions, but got trips to Ireland in summer, so lots of rain, and pyrenees in the autumn. Mostly not windswept mountain tops.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given the price of (decent) tents I think most will be commenting on what they have.

We've a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Weighs 1500g including the optional groundsheet. There are quite a few similar models from other manufacturers: MSR Hubba Hubba; Alpkit Jaran 2; etc. We went with the Big Agnes as there was more headroom than the MSR. While there's plenty of room in retrospect we could have gone for the 3 man version which weighs an extra 250g meaning it would still be under 1kg each. Probably a bit over your price bracket though - you're into the: quality; lightweight; cheap, pick any two conundrum.

Looking at Alpkit's site they are sold out of the Jaran 2 but have the Jaran 3 at £280 so well within your budget. Weight of 2.36kg
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

My Terra Nova Zephyros 2 XL fits the bill. Big enough for 2 (in the real world), pretty light (UL version is about 1.7kg) and is fine in wind and rain at low level. Should be well under budget
samwise

Post by samwise »

Love our MSR Elixir 2. Not as light as the Hubba Hubba or Alpit Jaran 2 that have similar design but it's very durable!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

New, both are out of budget.
So would have to be eBay or similar.
For small pack size, lightweight consider a Terra Nova Solar Photon 2

For more robust, more internal space, but heavier and larger pack size
MSR Accent 2

D and I use these depending on likely conditions.
SP2 is a squeeze, but liveable.
A2 is an amazing tent, and much underrated. Poles are quite long, was designed for ski touring.

====

Have an unused Terra Nova Voyager tent could sell for £350
Seems the going price on eBay.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

We've used the Vango F10 Helium 200 in varying versions over the years. Maybe a bit snug for two adults but a solid 3 season tent and well under 1.5 kg.
liamg

Post by liamg »

I've got an SMD Duo Outfitter that I bought off here a couple of years ago. It's absolutely palatial inside so excellent for "living" in when it's wet. Biggest downside is that it's not great in high winds and, like any non-2 skin tent, you'll have to be careful to manage condensation. Overall though, it makes a good intro tent for bike packing as the space per £ is difficult to beat. I bought it for £100 and used it for about 14 nights, but I also seam sealed it, so you can have it for similar money if you want?
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

We have an MSR elixir 2 as well and would agree with samwise. Really good quality, spacious for 2 and tough...weighs about 2.5 kg so not the lightest but ok if you split it between 2 or use it for car camping.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

If budget is important then have a look at the naturehike tents on Amazon - Mongar, cloud-up etc

Plenty of reviews on YouTube
NJGibbs

Post by NJGibbs »

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 has always served me well, although I haven’t had it out in storm conditions
Casually Casual!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you're thinking about pitching in rain, have a serious think about tents that pitch outer first or inner/outer together. Many people seem happy with inner first tents in the UK but personally I'm not a fan
benp1

Post by benp1 »

yourguitarhero wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:35 pm My Terra Nova Zephyros 2 XL fits the bill. Big enough for 2 (in the real world), pretty light (UL version is about 1.7kg) and is fine in wind and rain at low level. Should be well under budget
Only available used now, they no longer make this sadly. I have one and actually fit in it comfortably at 6'3. Tarptent Scarp would get my vote but it's probably out of budget these days
pete68

Post by pete68 »

Thanks for the replies. Got a Msr hubba hubba nx2 at a good price. Gets pretty good reviews at a reasonable weight and price
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Too late in to recommend the MSR Elixir 2
I'm just going outside ...