Heart rate watch ??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Heart rate watch ??

Post by ton »

Got my ticker zapped back into rhythm last week. Now I find myself checking my heart rate constantly.
So I am gonna buy a HRM. But I don't want a chest strap type.
Is there just a watch you can buy. Anyone?
boxelder

Re: Heart rate watch ??

Post by boxelder »

Most smart watches will do heart rate, or you can get ones that don't sync to your phone. They start for around a tenner e.g. Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-a ... /N-1nwc1r6
Fit Bits are popular
People find the Sleep Monitor function, that some have, useful
ootini

Post by ootini »

I wanted similar and ended up with a Huawei GT2 watch. It's great and not too spendy
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a garmin vivoactive that does steps, heart rate and stuff. Probably 100 times more stuff than I use. Picked it up for £125 - wouldn't pay the full 250 for it though
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

EBay is awash with nearly new used stuff. I got a barely used Garmin something or other for 1/3 of the retail cost a couple of months ago and you wouldn’t know it was ‘used’
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tony - I have a Vivoactive 4 which would do HR and more. It's currently looking for a good home.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Have a look on Amazon for Garmin Renewed. They are factory refurbished and are the innards from returned units put into new cases.
gairym

Post by gairym »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:32 pm Tony - I have a Vivoactive 4 which would do HR and more. It's currently looking for a good home.
This is what I use and I really rate it.

Nice long battery life, not dissimilar to a regular watch so inoffensive and does everything/more than I want or need.
Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

After my (minor) heart attack I bought a garmin watch for the same reason. I was terrified as first time out after stent I walked the dog very slowly round the flat block and my heart rate started spiking to 150bpm. Moved slower and slower but couldn’t get it under control. This is the future I thought, :(
Then I discovered that they are wildly innacurate, started using the strap and all was well ish.

Then as recovery progressed I was walking around the top of the South Downs with the dog, still paranoid watching hr all the time, every so often heart rate would just go blank. Did I just go into af? Am I actually dead but too stupid to realise? More googling said the connection between the strap and watch was very off and on :)

I wouldn’t say don’t do the watch, I would say don’t read too much into it. Something like Kardia is good for confidence that you are still alive https://store.alivecor.co.uk/?gclid=EAI ... gI_BvD_BwE

Once you get into stupid exercise mode again (hope you get into stupid exercise mode again) something like Frontier X is the ultimate, it tracks an ecg and you can pay a monthly fee for someone to tell you you are exercising too much but (more importantly) that you are ok.

Good luck with it all.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Ton.. I wanted to say get a proper chest version as it's got the actual electrical signal (as opposed to the peripheral 'pulse' which could be showing the vascular shunt mechanism at work but you'll be dead* worried when your wrist strap is showing a rate of only 60 or 80 whilst working hard -cos most of the blood is being sent to the leg muscles https://www.leadershipandsport.com/vasc ... mechanism/ ).

What smcknighty shared seems really good but could get scary just seeing the arrythmia in real time :shock:

*Sorry