Dynamo charging a pixel 6

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

trek1120plus

Dynamo charging a pixel 6

Post by trek1120plus »

How do!
It's my first post that isn't a sale ad :oops: :-SS
I use a dynamo hub sometimes to keep the phone and lights charged up, nothing too fancy, just a cycle2charge top cap USB outlet from a shutter precision PD8X hub.
Mobile phone contract upgrade time rolls around and after much deliberating went for the Google Pixel 6.
Quite like the slab of a thing now but the sting in the tail was it doesn't come with a charger, no problem I initially thought as it's still usb-C... but Pixel 6's won't register a charge unless you use (buy) a certain type (PD) charger.
Having shelled out on a fancy PD mains charger I'm now left wondering whether the dynamo charge will have any effect. I haven't done the most obvious thing and tried it to see as the dynamo wheel isn't to hand at the moment but wondered, has anyone else had this issue or know of it?
Thanks!
chris n

Re: Dynamo charging a pixel 6

Post by chris n »

You only need PD for fast charging. My pixel 6 charges just fine from a 0.5A 5V DC source so you should have no issues with using a dynamo to charge yours.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Yeah, I have a pixel 6 and it'll charge off of anything with a USB-C cable at the end really!

Other option is a small battery bank that you charge off the USB. If it could do USB-C fast charging then you could use it to charge your phone for an hour in the evening.
Saying that, if you're not using your phone as a GPS then leaving it on Airplane mode (So you can still take photos or quickly un-aeroplane it to check directions) will get you 5 or 6 days off the phone battery - that's my normal MO for a bike camping trip
trek1120plus

Post by trek1120plus »

Thanks for your replies.
It's odd because both mine and my wife's pixel 6's only charge on a Belkin PD (non fast) approved charger. I've just retried a Huawei charger (admittedly it's a super charge one 2-4.5A) and an old HTC 1.5A one from the old collection of usb-C chargers draw and neither register at all.
What led us to buying the Belkin charger was that our current usb-C chargers did nothing, then a long Google read confirmed they probably won't or don't charge without a PD one.
I'm hoping a spin of the dynamo hub registers still!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a Pixel 6 and use a variety of chargers, mostly older ones.