Ferries to ‘THE Island’ & other questions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Ferries to ‘THE Island’ & other questions

Post by lune ranger »

What is it the like if you just turn up to the WightLink ferry from Lymington to The Island as a bike passenger? Is it usual to be able to board the next sailing or do I really need to be booked.

Also if one was to do a road (+/- a bit of gravel) circuit of The Island is the official cycle route the way to do it or are there better options for the discerning cyclist.

I’m brewing up an idea to ride to The Island go round it and ride home in an audax style.

(This is the Isle of Wight I’m referring to. I’ve seen that the cool kids call it The Island, so I’m trying to be cool :geek:)
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Re: Ferries to ‘THE Island’ & other questions

Post by sean_iow »

No need to book as a foot passenger with bike, just turn up. Might be best to check it's running before setting out but it's meant to run 7 days a week.

The official Round the Island is mainly road but I think it has a gravel cycle track option. The best off road/gravel runs across the center of the Island so not easy to included if you want to go round the outside.

Be aware it's more hilly than most people expect although not compared to the riding west of you.

Also, check the times for the first and in particular the last ferry as I don't think it's very late and it's a long wait for the first one the next morning.

I can look at options for the best route round, the official one cuts inland and misses the climb between Shanklin and Ventnor (if going clockwise) but it's worth doing in my opinion and not that big a climb.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks Sean. I was hoping you’d see this.
Not looked at things too deeply but I reckon I could set off early enough to get to, and round, the Island before the last sailing to the mainland.
I don’t want an MTB route for The Island but will be riding a gravel capable bike so a bit of easy/fast off-road could be nice.
As to it being hilly - I’m under no false impressions - my fist holiday without my parents was spent hiking around the coast with my mate when we were 14 and remember a certain lack of flatness :-bd
WSC
Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

It’s very doable, I like the road route, There is actually a 200km permanent audax that is both on and off the iow that I’m going to do at some point. Bridleways are generally well signed and exist on the ground (unlike wales!) I remember when riding off-road from Yarmouth we found some vaguely exciting downhill tracks someone had made, not really gravel compatible :) generally the off-road stuff had a South Downs feel about it
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

What is the code for that perm? That sounds ace!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m calling my route the Wetleg 400 :wink:
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:10 pm I’m calling my route the Wetleg 400 :wink:
Very good :-bd I could route you past the locations of the video shoots, although one is on the highest point on the Island and at the top of a double chevron climb with ramps over 20% so maybe not ideal in the middle of a 400 :grin:
jobro

Post by jobro »

I'm doing a similar outing in June from my home in Wareham Dorset. We are calling it the three ferries tour as I've included Sandbanks, Hengistbury and the Link ferry in the ride. Following a route from this site:

https://www.lifeinthesaddle.cc/2019/07/ ... wight.html
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

jobro wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:48 am I'm doing a similar outing in June from my home in Wareham Dorset. We are calling it the three ferries tour as I've included Sandbanks, Hengistbury and the Link ferry in the ride. Following a route from this site:

That was part of our "Catch the train to Plymouth and ride back to Gatwick" tour. Dartmouth, Teignmouth, Exmouth, Sandbanks, Hengistbury, Lynmouth & Ryde ferries
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

belugabob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:56 pm
jobro wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:48 am I'm doing a similar outing in June from my home in Wareham Dorset. We are calling it the three ferries tour as I've included Sandbanks, Hengistbury and the Link ferry in the ride. Following a route from this site:

That was part of our "Catch the train to Plymouth and ride back to Gatwick" tour. Dartmouth, Teignmouth, Exmouth, Sandbanks, Hengistbury, Lynmouth & Ryde ferries
I'm tempted to reverse that route
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If the travel alerts I get from Wightlink and Red Funnel are anything to go by at any given time there's only a 50% chance of a ferry running to the timetable.

Given the number of ferries in that list I calculate there's only a 1 in 128 chance of it going to plan. If you use the Cowes Chain Ferry as you cross The Island those odds go out to about 1 in 128,000 :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you route via Portsmouth, there are three extra ferries you can catch
- Itchenor ferry
- Hayling Island ferry (to Portsmouth)
- Gosport ferry (from Portsmouth)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:46 pm
I can look at options for the best route round, the official one cuts inland and misses the climb between Shanklin and Ventnor (if going clockwise) but it's worth doing in my opinion and not that big a climb.
Is clockwise the proper caulkhead direction for a circuit of The Island? Do you have any recommendations if I fancy a gurt plate of nammit somewhen? :grin:
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Clockwise would be the best direction, especially if you go via the road from Shanklin to Ventnor, not on the official route but a better, if hillier, option IMO.

Be prepared to change the direction of travel if the wind is strong and from the west, the section between Blackgang and Freshwater, whether on the main coast road or the back lanes that run parallel, is very exposed. If the wind is strong it's a battle into it all the way to Freshwater, in which case going anti-clockwise would be better.

As for nammit, there are loads of good pubs with beer gardens so you can sit in the sun* and admire your bike** as you eat. Off the top of my head, some handy for the coastal roads-

White Mouse, Chale
Horse and Groom, Shalfleet
Woodvale, Gurnard
Bargemans Rest, Newport
Folly Inn, Whippingham
The Buddle Inn, Ntion
The Spyglass, Ventnor
Steamer Inn, Shanklin

Plus endless cafes, shops, takeaways etc. You're never far from somewhere to get food on the Island.

*It's always sunny on The Island
**I find no better accompaniment to a meal than the sight of the sun reflecting of titanium :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:35 am

Be prepared to change the direction of travel if the wind is strong and from the west,
If the wind is blowing strongly from the west I think I will be strongly regretting the fact I have to get back to Devon, let alone Ventnor :-bd
WSC
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:35 amFolly Inn, Whippingham
Can you get to this without having to go down that godawful road through the caravan park yet?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:14 am
sean_iow wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:35 amFolly Inn, Whippingham
Can you get to this without having to go down that godawful road through the caravan park yet?
In the dry the cheeky footpath from Island Harbour is ok. The road is only just over half a mile long so not 'that' bad. It's not the Postman's Path or Coffin Road :grin: I'm assuming you're on a bike. In a car the pot-holes are a bit of a pain, I've not been down there for a while so assume it's still like that.

There are plans to extend the cycle route from Island Harbour through to East Cowes, but obviously it's being done by the IWC so unlikely to be finished before Luke gets here :lol:
Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=6521

That’s the perm audax, even though it says 160km when you email him he says it is either 100km or 200km
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:07 pm
belugabob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:56 pm

I'm tempted to reverse that route
If you do, don't be tempted to start from Brighton and follow the coast, as the bit from Littlehampton to Chichester is mostly cycle paths along busy A roads.
Better to start a bit inland, and follow the SDW as far as Bignor, then cut down to Chichester, and Hayling Island, to start the ferry hopping
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Looking like Wetleg 470 rather than 400. Turns out The Island is just a wee bit further away than I thought. Think it’ll still be a goer.
Sean you’re right, the last ferry is pretty damn early - not even 9pm, which at my speed (sic) means setting off from Exeter at 4am to be relatively sure of making it on time.
I reckon that I’ll carry some emergency bivi gear in case I get stranded on the wrong side of the Solent and speculatively book a slot on the last sailing to be totally sure if getting on - it’s only a tenner after all.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:46 pm The Island is just a wee bit further away than I thought.
Tell me about it, I rode to yours to meet up for the winter bivi, into a headwind, took me a day and a half :lol: