"human litter" on Snowdon

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tobasco

Re: "human litter" on Snowdon

Post by tobasco »

It’s the age old dilemma of draconian vs libertarian solutions. The former is immediate/quick to implement but prone to unforeseen consequences. The latter involves education, which can be a slow burn. I do like the idea of litterers/LNT infringers having to get involved in some form of community litter picking*, a bit like speed awareness courses.

If someone had to pick up someone else’s poo I reckon they’d be ‘educated’ swiftly.
ootini

Post by ootini »

It almost feels like snowdon is the sacrificial lamb that we need to leave the masses to destroy in order to prevent them spotting the other mountains around the area. While they're eroding, trampling, pooing on, and generally destroying snowdon, the rest of us can enjoy the rest of the GOD.
It's a shame...
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

As an aside, you can do a tour of the Paris sewers and, at the end, there are visitors toilets. (Proper flushing ones)

I couldn't help but think they should have just installed "long drops" and saved a fortune on plumbing 😉💩
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Was chatting to my wife about this article and she is of the opinion that if you put toilets somewhere but don't open them you're far more likely to have problems than if you advertise that there are no toilets.

Whether or not you think it's right that there are toilets or other facilities on a mountain, it's perhaps not unreasonable that people might assume they can use them if they know they exist.

On the other hand all my mates laugh at the little plastic poo trowel I always carry until they need to use it, in the same way that they laugh at me constantly carrying a first aid kit until they go over the bars on a rocky descent...
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's unacceptable behaviour, but Snowdon (is it now Yr Wyddfa?) is sacrificed to the masses. This leaves the rest of the region to be enjoyed......
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

She claimed toilets at the summit were closed along with the café and "there were no toilets open at the bottom when we got to the bottom after a seven hour hike".
This is the part I can’t understand (well, I can’t understand someone pooing along a path either) but why hasn’t Llanberis got a toilet block that is open 24 hours? Let’s face it, Snowdon is a 24 hour mountain with all the charity walks going up