Warm gloves - but not too cumbersome

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Warm gloves - but not too cumbersome

Post by Shewie »

Mrs S suffers with Raynauds quite badly in her hands, she can cope with this when we're out hiking with merino liners and a pair of synthetic insulated mitts but I'm looking at what options there are for biking, with the added windchill factor that comes with biking she's been having a hard time lately. I don't think pogies would be an option for her just yet, maybe when she's a bit more confident on her bike, I just wondered what others have found that works.

Last week up in the Trossachs in mid single figure temps her fingers were like ice, I lent her my knackered old Sealskinz Dragon Eye gloves which helped but are at least two sizes too big for her tiny digits, I'd like to get her something she can use in a layering system but without losing too much dexterity.

Any thoughts?
Bearlegged

Re: Warm gloves - but not too cumbersome

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm not in the Raynaud's camp, but definitely have colder hands than others. I've found the Dissent 133 shell gloves along with cheap silk liners and fleece ones
work really well, and seem to keep my hands as warm as the Polaris lobsters I've had in the past.
One of the key wins for me is carrying a spare pair of the fleece inners, and swapping them out when they get sweaty and damp.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:16 pm I'm not in the Raynaud's camp, but definitely have colder hands than others. I've found the Dissent 133 shell gloves along with cheap silk liners and fleece ones
work really well, and seem to keep my hands as warm as the Polaris lobsters I've had in the past.
One of the key wins for me is carrying a spare pair of the fleece inners, and swapping them out when they get sweaty and damp.
They look perfect, thanks for the heads up
benp1

Post by benp1 »

She might find these too cold right now, but have a look at the 100% brisker gloves. They are my favourite gloves for a good proportion of the year. Uninsulated palm, lightly insulated back of hand
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

benp1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:46 pm She might find these too cold right now, but have a look at the 100% brisker gloves. They are my favourite gloves for a good proportion of the year. Uninsulated palm, lightly insulated back of hand
Thanks mate, I'll check those out too
jobro

Post by jobro »

I don't have Raynauds but have treated quite a few patients with it. Its a horrid painful thing.

Some observations rather than recommendations. The thin silk liner with a looseish, windproof outer is a great combination. The Brisker and Dissent gloves mentioned are well liked. Make sure they are not too tight. Peripheral circulation is your friend here. Importantly its important for your hands and the gloves themselves to be warm before you go out. Try to put gloves on indoors to maximise the residual heat.

Best of luck.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:46 pm She might find these too cold right now, but have a look at the 100% brisker gloves. They are my favourite gloves for a good proportion of the year.
Also :-bd from me.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I suffer and use Crikey, how much Deep winter gloves for anything under 5 degrees. I got them off eBay. They are like ski gloves but with a less heavy duty fabric meaning that unless I’m working hard my hands get sweaty.
Fordy

Post by Fordy »

I suffer from Raynaud's and my go to are Galibier.cc barrier deep winter gloves and also Ardennes light winter gloves when it’s a bit warmer.

https://www.galibier.cc/gloves-and-mitts

Crab gloves with merino liners come out when it’s super cold.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

As an aside have we done 'usb heated gloves'?
Cant remember where I ran across these and never heard of them before so don't know the details other than you plug them in before use.
I don't know if you need to ride with a power bank on each arm?
https://bikerumor.com/review-sealskinz- ... her-socks/
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Mariner wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:25 pm As an aside have we done 'usb heated gloves'?
Cant remember where I ran across these and never heard of them before so don't know the details other than you plug them in before use.
I don't know if you need to ride with a power bank on each arm?
https://bikerumor.com/review-sealskinz- ... her-socks/
For my young daughter on the tandem I bought a linked pair of the heating panels with a USB lead on them and held them on the bars under a pair of socks. A single power bank heated the pair. The effect was of course doubled by use of pogies. Surprised they haven't been mentioned yet!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

The Galibier Ardennes gloves mentioned by Fordy above are very good for the money. They're not too bulky and surprisingly warm in anything over freezing weather (for me at least). They're not waterproof though (nor are they claimed to be). I use my pair for cool weather gravel biking, I prefer 100% Briskers for mountain biking as I don't like any palm padding on my mountain bike gloves but they're definitely not as warm as the Ardennes gloves if the padded palm isn't an issue for Mrs Shewie.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I hate having cold hands so wear ski gloves deep into spring. Nothing fancy, just cheapo ones. Have a couple of pairs; the lightest fill with the most windproof shell are my favourites.
You get used to the bulk and it compresses down on the palms fairly well.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Mate of mine runs heated grips, to great effect. Only get 2-3 hours warmth though. DIY'd
barney

Post by barney »

I bought a cheapo pair of "lobster" gloves from PlanetX a few weeks ago. Cheap as chips and more than did a job on the only very cold ride I've done this year.
Wait for me...