Cafe/shop locks for Bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

postierich

Cafe/shop locks for Bikepacking

Post by postierich »

Planning on stopping at lots of cafes on the Italy divide so quick and easy locks that are quick to use and easy to carry, obviously its basically to stop opportunist thieves!

Rich
Alpinum

Re: Cafe/shop locks for Bikepacking

Post by Alpinum »

Love this one:
https://www.eaglecreek.com/products/3-d ... lock-cable
Must have had it for at least 10 years and is still doing its job nicely. The free lock and the long cable with the two loops are extremely practical and will also work with multiple bikes.
Cable can be used for many other things too.

Tiny and light as well.

Could be one of my favourite gear items.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a couple of abus combination retractable cable locks. One used for locking the Brompton on the train and the other for bikepacking and locking my bike outside the pub after a Friday night ride. Pack up nice and neat in a bag

I’ve also got a couple of key based ones knocking around but i forgot the key once and they became a paperweight!
samwise

Post by samwise »

I've use one of these. Not sure it would really stop anyone but gives some piece of mind for quick pitstops.

https://www.squirelocks.co.uk/shop/retrac-2.html
turfroof

Post by turfroof »

I use a small combination lock from Abus and a cable from Kryptonite . Takes up no space and easy to use .
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I use a length of Amsteel blue with a fixed eye at each end, then just a small Yale combilock
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a few cheap as chips things from PX. You're not breaking them with your hands, so I figure they're enough to put off the opportunist and allow me time to switch from 'mild mannered janitor' to Hong Kong Phooey should someone take too keen an interest.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Take your front axle out, that'll stop anyone riding away on it & also difficult to push away. Costs nothing!
Add a small cable lock to secure it to something if needed.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Take your front axle out, that'll stop anyone riding away on it & also difficult to push away. Costs nothing!
No mention of securing your passport Jase? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:25 am
No mention of securing your passport Jase? :wink:
There is that as well!! :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ootini

Post by ootini »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:33 am One of these https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Locks ... x-2503-120
I use a cheapo amazon version of this. Its perfectly fine, decent quality, cost no more than a tenner.
I bought my son the Evans equivalent for his bike and its awful, doesn't retract properly, really shoddy build quality.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:33 am One of these https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Locks ... x-2503-120
Can't recommend it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Why ?
none of think it would deter anything other than an opportunist
i use the same - its a visual deterrent really as its would be easy to cut - then again any lick is likely to last seconds against a battery angle grinder - and then you have to argue with a person armed with a battery angle grinder

Like the axle out - i usually take the chain off

i used to take the chain off and use this as a lock with a small padlock through it as even if they can be arsed they then have to outrun me [ its too fiddly and messy for a quick stop IME.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Wotsits wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:58 am Take your front axle out, that'll stop anyone riding away on it & also difficult to push away. Costs nothing!
This is a good idea. :-bd

Can someone start a "What 6mm allen key?" thread pls?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:47 pm
Wotsits wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:58 am Take your front axle out, that'll stop anyone riding away on it & also difficult to push away. Costs nothing!

Apart from having to find somewhere to store a greasy thru axle and you've now made the theft of your wheel really easy I can't see that being any better than just carrying a small lock like those suggested above. As Stu said anything to stop someone just walking off with it and buying you some time. Also, you might like my daft mate 30 odd years ago riding away with a QR undone for security reasons, and before the days of lawyer tabs too...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:22 pm
Can't recommend it.
That out of stock suitcase lock you linked to looks soooooo much more robust, I must send of to the US for one as soon as its available. :roll:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

A velcro strap holding the front brake on is an easy confusion maker... stops it from being instantly wheeled away, and buys a few seconds ... would a tiny padlock through the drive chain be any good?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

godivatrailrider wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:26 pm A velcro strap holding the front brake on is an easy confusion maker... stops it from being instantly wheeled away, and buys a few seconds ... would a tiny padlock through the drive chain be any good?
I regularly use a length of velcro one-wrap around the brake lever to stop the bike rolling away, on trains etc and its tricked me plenty of times. :oops: Small pad lock through the brake disc is another option. On a few occasions I've put the Rohloff hub in bottom gear and loosend the external cable box. Nobody is going anywhere fast with it stuck in 15 gear inches :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you've now made the theft of your wheel really easy
is someone really going to walk up to your bike and just try to steal the front wheel? if they are the maxle is hardly going to be beyond them.
i
Your forks are only three bolts [ if you cut cables]
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

https://www.abus.com/us/Home-Security/C ... biloop-205 This is quite versatile, anchor the loop at one end to something and the locking end can easily secure 3 bikes in one go.
Never knowingly under biked...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've used a hiplok z-lock combo for 3-4 years now with no issues - it's just enough to stop an opportunist but no more than that.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:19 pm
Alpinum wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:22 pm
Can't recommend it.
That out of stock suitcase lock you linked to looks soooooo much more robust, I must send of to the US for one as soon as its available. :roll:
I'm writing from experience, not by how things look like :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:00 pm

Apart from having to find somewhere to store a greasy thru axle and you've now made the theft of your wheel really easy I can't see that being any better than just carrying a small lock like those suggested above. As Stu said anything to stop someone just walking off with it and buying you some time.
Unfortunately I don't think we'll have agreed on the best lock before we depart for the Italy Divide next Thursday.

Maybe the thru axle could be stored in a cigar case?

Can anyone recommend a cigar case?
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:48 pm
johnnystorm wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:00 pm

Apart from having to find somewhere to store a greasy thru axle and you've now made the theft of your wheel really easy I can't see that being any better than just carrying a small lock like those suggested above. As Stu said anything to stop someone just walking off with it and buying you some time.
Unfortunately I don't think we'll have agreed on the best lock before we depart for the Italy Divide next Thursday.

Maybe the thru axle could be stored in a cigar case?

Can anyone recommend a cigar case?
What about a Nuun/Berocca type tube thing