Lost and found

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Lost and found

Post by fatbikephil »

So about a year ago I was making my way along a nice trail near me when I collided with a tree, as you do. Some time later I noted my exposure Trace light was AWOL. I went back to the tree and spent ages scrabbling about looking for the light but couldn't find it. I figured it had landed in the (not very well used) trail and someone else had picked it up. I kept looking on subsequent occasions but once all the vegetation had grown up around the area I gave it up as a bad job.

The other day I was passing by, first time in about 8 months as its a dry weather trail only and for some reason thought I'd have a look again. There were old fallen leaves everywhere so this was optimistic. After a few minutes I gave up and went to pick the bike up. There was the light poking out from under a leaf right by where I'd lain the bike down. The wee rubber ring had been gnawed by some rodent and there was condensation in the light lens but after dismantling to dry out lo and behold it took a charge and worked. I then emailed exposure enquiring as to whether they sold the rings separately and they sent me two FOC :-bd
Lazarus

Re: Lost and found

Post by Lazarus »

I have somehow lost a 2 kg New York D lock in my house and wish i shared your good fortune
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I once left my lucky long handled Ti spoon swinging from a branch. A good few months later I was guiding a group and remembered my spoon, a quick mental mapping detour and there it was exactly where I thought I'd left it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Not quite "lost", but I once stashed some beers in a place that I knew I'd be riding past, with friends, about 2 weeks later.
They were still there, when required, and the looks on their faces when I disappeared into the under growth, and emerged with 4 chilled beers, was priceless
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

belugabob wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:45 pm Not quite "lost", but I once stashed some beers in a place that I knew I'd be riding past, with friends, about 2 weeks later.
They were still there, when required, and the looks on their faces when I disappeared into the under growth, and emerged with 4 chilled beers, was priceless
Calling Scotroutes.....
I've thought of doing that but the chances of me forgetting where I'd put them would be high....
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:26 pm
belugabob wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:45 pm Not quite "lost", but I once stashed some beers in a place that I knew I'd be riding past, with friends, about 2 weeks later.
Calling Scotroutes.....
I've thought of doing that but the chances of me forgetting where I'd put them would be high....
...only if you'd been sampling them, beforehand...
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Been there, done that! Several times.

WRT 2018, lost my new Exposure Joystick from the handlebars. Finished the ride then checked back in my photos to see if I could tell when it had gone from the bars, then drove to a point where I had been pushing through some undergrowth and on the second or third pass, there it was.

BaM June 2019, my Gallon Bivvy (8 pubs, 8 pints).

Didn’t notice I’d left my (£16) titanium spork where I’d bivvied on the Long Mynd. On the following October BaM, I was passing my bivvy spot so popped into the woods to the tree trunk I’d sat on to eat breakfast and there it was.

And finally, August 2015, canoeing down the Severn with my daughter and her two sons, we stopped for lunch on a sandy bank then paddled on. While we’d been paddling my wedding ring had been rubbing a blister on my finger so I took it off and put it in my pocket. Unbeknown to me, whilst sitting eating, my ring fell out and was left there. My daughter said that when I realised it was gone, eight miles downstream, I was like a dog that had had its collar taken off. You dog owners will know that look.

Anyway, I had a good idea where it might have been lost so two weeks later we paddled back down to look for it, armed with a kids metal detector and St Anthony. When we got to the river, after a few days of rain the level had risen a good three feet and where we had been sitting was under two feet of water.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained, a few minutes later the metal detector beep-beeped and there was my ring under a thin film of mud. Note the 2015 WRT T-shirt.

Thank you St Anthony, :-bd

Three-in-a-row for St Anthony. :grin:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good effort Frog!
Sadly my joystick went awol on a commute to work during the 'beast of the east' in 2018 and was never seen again....
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:07 am
Some damn fine beers there.... presumably in my neck of the Woods ( if you'll excuse the cheap pun ) ... I'm in Ludlow..
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:53 pm
frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:07 am
Some damn fine beers there.... presumably in my neck of the Woods ( if you'll excuse the cheap pun ) ... I'm in Ludlow..
I do recognise a couple of those bars :shock:
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Similar experience a couple of weeks ago. I'd stopped off and realised my rear light had bounced off of my saddle bag. I slowly rode back up the track I'd just came down, after 20 minutes or so there it was in a tractor rut.
frogatthefarriers

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:57 pm Good effort Frog!
Sadly my joystick went awol on a commute to work during the 'beast of the east' in 2018 and was never seen again....
Thanks. I’ve just posted the successes. In the other corner are the many cycling glasses I’ve left behind and a Spot gen2 that I think I must have left on top of the car when I drove off. :oops:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:07 am Been there, done that! Several times.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained, a few minutes later the metal detector beep-beeped and there was my ring under a thin film of mud. Note the 2015 WRT T-shirt.

My precious...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've just found my gas powered soldering iron at the bottom of the wardrobe in the spare room containing the wife's stuff. better still the tank was still half full of butane and I've fixed 3 things with it today.
-dead battery bank, say charging, no output.-loose bat - ve wire.
- sewing machine 'needle' light.
-and an old headtorch alpkit viper or similar.

I'm happy and no landfill :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You're very good at this Lu ... I dropped a spacer in the yard yesterday. I've an idea where it is but can't find it. I'll point you in the right direction at the WRT :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:17 am You're very good at this Lu ... I dropped a spacer in the yard yesterday. I've an idea where it is but can't find it. I'll point you in the right direction at the WRT :-bd
Don't get me started on that subject - our garden is mostly gravel, and a complete pain, when it comes to bike fettling and dropping small bolts
frogatthefarriers

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:17 am You're very good at this Lu ... I dropped a spacer in the yard yesterday. I've an idea where it is but can't find it. I'll point you in the right direction at the WRT :-bd
You could always try St Anthony. :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:33 pm
You could always try St Anthony. :grin:
check out the nearest crows or magpies nest :o :lol:

...or divining rod.. ouji board.... :grin:
or put an old sheet down first.... :lol:
wood strips for boundaries.... :lol:

I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..