eTrex thrown a wobbly

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

eTrex thrown a wobbly

Post by Rob S »

I was following a track on my eTrex that I'd made, when the cursor suddenly insisted I was about quarter of a mile away from where I was. I was crossing a field at the time and it thought I was on a road.
There were five or six satellites available at the time, so more than enough to get an accurate position. I carried on cycling and five minutes later it had jumped back. Does anyone know what was going on?
sean_iow

Re: eTrex thrown a wobbly

Post by sean_iow »

Mine has done the same thing previously, I was following my track and the arrow was tracking a road parallel to me, then suddenly jumped back across to be on the track again.

Are your maps routeable? My only idea is that for some reason it started following the routeable road instead of showing my position.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Which satellite system are you using?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've had this with the Dakota - its got a 'snap to road' function which is a bit crap as its quite random so it sometimes will show you where you are and others on the nearest road. Somewhere within the settings you can switch it off
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Are your maps routeable? My only idea is that for some reason it started following the routeable road instead of showing my position.
I don't know, I was on OS mapping from a sim card. It was definitely following my track at the beginning, no idea why it would suddenly begin navigating a route.
Which satellite system are you using?
Just GPS, I've got a GPS+GLONASS option though.
I've had this with the Dakota - its got a 'snap to road' function which is a bit crap as its quite random so it sometimes will show you where you are and others on the nearest road. Somewhere within the settings you can switch it off
Found it in, Setup-Routing-Lock On Road (if it's the same function). I would have thought it would only come into play if you were asking it to plan a route for you, rather than following an already made track. I've turned it off now though just in case.

Thanks everyone, sorry it's taken a while to reply.

As a further update, I was following an Audax route on Friday, we started following the track then, after the first turning the purple line on the map just disappeared. I had to go back into Track Manager and reselect the file, from then on it didn't miss a beat! Weird... One of the Garmin glitches I keep hearing about?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I had the purple line disappear mid route as well for no apparent reason. I had to do what you did and re select the route again. It's only happened once iirc. Mines a fairly old Etrex 20 and it's been great for the most part.