WRT GR

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: WRT GR

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:29 pm You might want to uprate your shelter pegs selection in the light of recent events.

https://news.sky.com/story/north-wales- ... s-12586143

"The powerful gusts carried a[n] ewe out of a shed and picked up her lambs". I kid (*) ewe not, that sounds like a right calambity. Seriously though, the damage doesn't sound much fun for the poor farmers.

(*) hang on I'm getting the animal puns mixed up. I'll get my goat...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

RIP wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:27 pm for my veggie burger (***).
Hopefully there will be more than one veggie burger available as not everyone eats meat 👍
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

godivatrailrider wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:46 am
Hopefully there will be more than one veggie burger available as no everyone eats meat 👍
Need to msg Stu to put request in beforehand.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:02 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:46 am
Hopefully there will be more than one veggie burger available as no everyone eats meat 👍
Need to msg Stu to put request in beforehand.....
your gonna coat Stu I'm MSG,? :o
Will he taste better covered in mono-sodium-glutamate ? :|
I suppose that's better than old spice :lol:
They say the "Proof's in the pudding." :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just having a nice cup of tea and a sit down. With a biscuit.

Stu, I wonder if one might request an alternative to those nasty polystyrene 'cups' in the brew tent please? I know that poly cup nastiness is a traditional and important part of the gathering and being grumpy and moaning about them is integral to the fun, but they remove all the pleasure from the brew, along with all the other 'eco' disadvantages we usually go on about. I'd opt for best bone china myself, or at least I'm going to try and use my brew mug off the bike since that's what its specific purpose already is :smile: .

But how about these for example: https://www.dukesvalley.co.uk/pro ... 0ml-paper

£1.80 for 50

OK, yes go on then, I'll put my money where my brew cup is and I'll sponsor any cost over and above the poly ones :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:43 pm OK, yes go on then, I'll put my money where my brew cup is and I'll sponsor any cost over and above the poly ones :smile: .
Who knows, they might even actually be cheaper than the nasty ones in which case I'd be more than happy to let you refund me the difference :-bd

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've given the subject of cuppage some serious thought Reg. What I'd really like to do is get recycled plastic mugs printed and sell them to everyone at a small margin which goes into the coffers. That way, people have a mug that won't end up in landfill or require recycling ... they could even attach it to their luggage by means of a clip or similar?

However, I still have a very large box of poly cups - enough for this year. Obviously they are sh1te but it would seem something of a shame not to use them as they are already bought / paid for and here.

I would however happily encourage folk to use their own mug during our little gathering should they wish and I can promise, there'll be no poly cups next year.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:34 pm they could even attach it to their luggage by means of a clip or similar?
I know you're a big fan of dangling so yes that's an excellent idea. One looks forward to hearing the compliments you dispense in the direction of anyone taking up the suggestion
recycled plastic mugs printed
:-bd with growly bear or cuddly panda on
shame not to use them as they are already bought / paid for and here.
Good point. Maybe you could add another competition to the proceedings? Issue every rider with ten of them and whoever makes the most original sculpture wins some sort of naff prize?
would however happily encourage folk to use their own mug during our little gathering should they wish
Apart from being a top idea, I think there will be huge entertainment value as well from seeing all the little piles of unpacked gear on the approach to the brew tent, as each rider empties all their bags with plaintive cries of "aaggh now where the hell did I pack it this time" etc etc etc
there'll be no poly cups next year.
:-bd

ootini

Post by ootini »

With this in mind, I shall be bringing an extra "BB towers use only" mug, to avoid unpacking everything, just to have a brew.
:geek:
RIP

Post by RIP »

ootini wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:54 pm With this in mind, I shall be bringing an extra "BB towers use only" mug, to avoid unpacking everything, just to have a brew.
Now that's an interesting idea. If it's BBT usage only, we could all do that and Stu could provide a shelf to keep them on between gatherings. It'd be a bit like those shelves of personal 'locals pint glasses' in boozers and woe betide anybody who drinks out of Cyril's glass when he's not there. Not that I've, er, got one of those obviously.

ootini

Post by ootini »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:27 pm
ootini wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:54 pm With this in mind, I shall be bringing an extra "BB towers use only" mug, to avoid unpacking everything, just to have a brew.
Now that's an interesting idea. If it's BBT usage only, we could all do that and Stu could provide a shelf to keep them on between gatherings. It'd be a bit like those shelves of personal 'locals pint glasses' in boozers and woe betide anybody who drinks out of Cyril's glass when he's not there. Not that I've, er, got one of those obviously.
I've had an idea.
I'm going to dust off my grandfather's old Toby Jugs...
Boab

Post by Boab »

A bit of route advice please. After slogging my way up this, I'm planning on starting my WRT by heading in completely the opposite direction to all the grid refs. Essentially looping around the North of Llanbrynmair on part of the route I was planning on for the Winter Event, but taking in this track, before meandering off towards the SPAR in Machynlleth. I notice there's a wind farm on the other side of the valley, and supposedly a bridleway up to it from the road (at https://goo.gl/maps/cK2ugtxfikV3p7ui8):

I can't see any sort of indication on Open Street Map of the bridleway, nor can I see any sort of track on satellite view. I'm assuming it's a brutal tussock fest of a push, but if I decided to head for all that gravel goodness, is there any indication on the ground as to where to go...? Or is there a better way to get up to those wind turbines from the North...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not quite sure where you mean Bob - do you mean Carno windfarm? If you can show me on an OS I'll be able to tell you how many blades of grass there are on any particular day :wink:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:06 pm I'm not quite sure where you mean Bob - do you mean Carno windfarm? If you can show me on an OS I'll be able to tell you how many blades of grass there are on any particular day :wink:
I though those might be a bit too cryptic. It's the bit in the green oval...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks like the nonexistent one we tried to come down on the Winter Event.....
Last edited by RIP on Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

There's a track just south of it but the farmer was not entirely pleased to see us when we arrived!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No track there Bob. In reality you'll probably struggle to loop that in without plenty of pushing. I generally make use of the tracks / lanes to the south ... although the track that hits tarmac at SH856082 is rather nice but to get on it from the east will require more pathless pushing.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah, sorry, ignore my ravings. Ours was further south at Gerddi-Gleision. It was definitely 'Welsh'.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As a general rule Bob, if the map only shows green dashes without black ones beneath ... walk away :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:45 pm As a general rule Bob, if the map only shows green dashes without black ones beneath ... walk away :-bd
I've already re-routed myself about three times! 🤣 Given that the map had nothing, I figured it was best to avoid, but asked just in case. Time for re-route number four... 🙄
Boab

Post by Boab »

A couple of other questions...
  • Is Hennighan's Top Shop the only chippy in Machynlleth...?
  • Which of the two SPARs in Aberystwyth is the best...?
  • Which of the multitudes of chip outlets in Aberystwyth, that cooks in veg oil, is best...?
  • Will I die going down The Mark of Zoro on a fully loaded gravel bike...?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is Hennighan's Top Shop the only chippy in Machynlleth...?
Which of the two SPARs in Aberystwyth is the best...?
Which of the multitudes of chip outlets in Aberystwyth, that cooks in veg oil, is best...?
Will I die going down The Mark of Zoro on a fully loaded gravel bike...?
Yes but there's a decent kebab shop that is always open.
Probably the one a couple of doors up from Smiths but it's the Spar, not Gordon Ramsey's.
Absolutely no idea. Take a gamble, it'll add to the adventure.
Death is not a foregone conclusion but whether it does happen will depend on how sh1t you are.

Happy to help :-bd
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Boab wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm A couple of other questions...

[*] Will I die going down The Mark of Zoro on a fully loaded gravel bike...?
A few of us did mark zorro a couple of years ago fully loaded,
I was on a fully ridgid mtb, it was good fun, however I did put a small buckle in my rear wheel.
It’ll be doable but you might want to reign in your speed.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:29 am Probably the one a couple of doors up from Smiths but it's the Spar, not Gordon Ramsey's.
Just in case one has some sort of facility or stock that the other one doesn't. Might visit both and turn it into a four SPAR weekend...
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:29 am Absolutely no idea. Take a gamble, it'll add to the adventure.
Adventure...!?! :shudder: 🤣
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:29 am Death is not a foregone conclusion but whether it does happen will depend on how sh1t you are.
Proper poor show. Although I did take a fully loaded gravel bike along The Beast at High Lodge, but I'm imagining The Mark will be significantly steeper...
Taylor wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:14 am A few of us did mark zorro a couple of years ago fully loaded,
I was on a fully ridgid mtb, it was good fun, however I did put a small buckle in my rear wheel.
It’ll be doable but you might want to reign in your speed.
Might be best to have an alternative in the back pocket... 🤔
chris n

Post by chris n »

Boab wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm Which of the multitudes of chip outlets in Aberystwyth, that cooks in veg oil, is best...?
I had some truly excellent fish and chips from the place on the corner of Pier At and Marine Terrace last weekend.