WRT GR

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: WRT GR

Post by Boab »

chris n wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:28 am
Boab wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm Which of the multitudes of chip outlets in Aberystwyth, that cooks in veg oil, is best...?
I had some truly excellent fish and chips from the place on the corner of Pier At and Marine Terrace last weekend.
Chip Box 4...? Looks like it will fit the bill nicely. 👍
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh just realised that this weekend is also the Machynlleth Comedy Festival, so shops and such may well be busier than usual.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Is the Dyfi Enduro running again? Always seemed a bit daft having three events on the same weekend, you'd've thought the powers-that-be might've tried to spread their moneyspinners out a bit to maximise the income to local businesses. I suppose everyone wants the bank hol though. Then again maybe it's best to concentrate all the mayhem in one weekend then everyone can go back to sleep and normality again.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the Dyfi Enduro running again?
No idea Reg. I know that Grinduro runs out of Mach' these days but I don't know the date.
Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:22 pm Is the Dyfi Enduro running again? Always seemed a bit daft having three events on the same weekend, you'd've thought the powers-that-be might've tried to spread their moneyspinners out a bit to maximise the income to local businesses. I suppose everyone wants the bank hol though. Then again maybe it's best to concentrate all tge mayhem in one weekend then everyone can go back to sleep and normality again.
It would seem not - http://www.dyfievents.com/our-events-in-2022/
As most will already have gathered, there will be no Dyfi Enduro for 2022. The changes that Covid brought us in combination to a growing array of logistical issues have left us in a position where we felt we could not realistically deliver an event of the quality that we would wish to offer our riders. We will take a look afresh for 2023 but for now all we can say is that we’re missing the Dyfi too, and watch this space.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Boab wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm
[*] Which of the multitudes of chip outlets in Aberystwyth, that cooks in veg oil, is best...?
I’m hoping that with sunflower oil being in short supply that some chip shops get back to frying in lard or dripping.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm, a surprise frost this morning. I say choose your bag carefully :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve already put the 7 degree bag away as wishful thinking.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:44 am I’ve already put the 7 degree bag away as wishful thinking.
I got a3c bag that say 10°, 4°c degree. or - 15°c. hmm
so it not bearable, bulky or Bettyswallocks bulky.
choices...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ootini

Post by ootini »

Looking at the forecast, the cloud cover (and rain) on Saturday and Sunday evening should bump the temps up to 7/8*c over night... fingers crossed.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I've just booked an advance train ticket from Caersws to Wrexham to get home (I'm getting a lift in) £3.75. I wasn't sure if I could get there in time so I booked on the next one too. That's £7.50. An anytime ticket would have cost £15.80. :wink:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:23 am Uhm, a surprise frost this morning. I say choose your bag carefully :-bd
Not too much of a surprise, from the Met Office (for Mach):
Tonight:
After a fine end to the day, any cloud will clear leaving lengthy clear spells overnight. It will become cold, with a touch of frost in rural areas by morning. Minimum temperature -1 °C.
RIP

Post by RIP »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:58 am I've just booked an advance train ticket from Caersws to Wrexham to get home (I'm getting a lift in) £3.75. I wasn't sure if I could get there in time so I booked on the next one too. That's £7.50. An anytime ticket would have cost £15.80. :wink:
Better luck with the crowds this time Lu :smile: . You've reserved the bike space too presumably?

I'm wimping out and catching 10.35 Tuesday after it's all calmed down.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Booked my train this morning, a whole 16.20 return. It's going to rammed on the way back but I'll be clutching my bike reservation as I push my way on.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Gutted that I've had to abandon already as I'm sick as a pike. Hope everyone has a cracking weekend. And if your want to buy an extra size medium T-shirt, see Stu, money to go to feeding the bear.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sigh. I've got to work Sunday and Monday so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to come at all.

I don't know if I should come up just for the day or not. Five hour round trip, but I guess I could cycle with a group to where they're stopping for the night and then head back to BB Towers. Would make for a REALLY long day though. Gutted.

:sad:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:23 am Uhm, a surprise frost this morning. I say choose your bag carefully :-bd
There was indeed. I don't think she was very impressed with me buggering off somewhere for five days. I did try to choose her carefully - she claims she chose me but it seems unlikely - and I've been stuck with the old bag for 41 years now.

Boab

Post by Boab »

Pauline says there's a room spare at The Wynnstay, if anyone fancies it.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:04 am Better luck with the crowds this time Lu :smile: . You've reserved the bike space too presumably?
Nah! You can't book bike spaces on TFW trains, but you've put the wing up me regarding possible overcrowding. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. Or get home very late.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:27 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:04 am Better luck with the crowds this time Lu :smile: . You've reserved the bike space too presumably?
Nah! You can't book bike spaces on TFW trains, but you've put the wing up me regarding possible overcrowding. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. Or get home very late.
Well I've got a nice lady at TfW HQ who does my reservations for me. Dunt believe me? Hang on.....

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP

Post by RIP »

To be honest my journey this afternoon was slightly more challenging than usual because they used 'the wrong type of train' from Birmingham International and it got banished into the sidings at Shrewsbury on arrival. We all got turfed off onto a backup train to Caersws.

The absolute worst part of the journey was that nobody attempted the 'luggage rack traverse' this time. Most disappointing. Standards are slipping everywhere these days.

Anyway I'm just crashing out in my secret hideaway but am gratified to hear that it's all still in full swing at the Wynnstay Arms down the road! :-bd

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:40 pm To be honest my journey this afternoon was slightly more challenging than usual because they used 'the wrong type of train' from Birmingham International and it got banished into the sidings at Shrewsbury on arrival. We all got turfed off onto a backup train to Caersws.

The absolute worst part of the journey was that nobody attempted the 'luggage rack traverse' this time. Most disappointing. Standards are slipping everywhere these days.

Anyway I'm just crashing out in my secret hideaway but am gratified to hear that it's all still in full swing at the Wynnstay Arms down the road! :-bd
Aww poor you, how disappointing...

Yep all still in full swing here at the Wynnstay, although some of us ( me ) are now tucked up in one of the many beds in my room, supping a camomile tea...

See you tomorrow!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Disappointed to miss this one, hope everyone has a good time!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Was good to see everyone again. My absence from the Winter Event due to sickness and doing last year's BB200 solo (non group start) has meant it's really been too long.

Hope the LHC managed to get to Rhayader without turning on each other for sustenance. I was pleased to see that you weren't all there when I drove through at 9pm (took me about an hour and a half to get back to BB Towers).