Oval chainrings

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Oval chainrings

Post by Rob S »

https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... chainring/

I wondered how many of us had tried these out? Anyone who didn't get on with them in the long term? Waste of money or the best thing since sliced bread? Thanks for your input.
frogatthefarriers

Re: Oval chainrings

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Back in 2018 I bought a (s/h) Pinnacle Ramin 3 with a 34t oval chain ring. It was a bit too high a gear for my old legs to push so I changed to a 32t, still oval.This was still too steep for me, so down to 30 I went, but round this time (cos the ovals were too dear). I haven’t noticed any difference - the hills are just as steep…
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve an oval ring on one Rohloff bike and round on another. Can’t say that I notice any difference really.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

My 10p.

I have rubbish knees. I use oval to keep me riding. I swear by them.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Oval chainrings are the best thing since sliced bread. YMMV, obvs...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've had one on my full sus bike for about 8 months now. Definitely helps with steep technical climbing and makes the bike smoother/less bobby. Biggest thing I've noticed is that I get stalled less easily on really steep bits as it's easier to pedal through top dead center.

When the ring wears out on my singlespeed then I'll try oval if one's on special offer but not sure if I'd pay extra for it on a hardtail.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Superstar Components rings are good value and well made.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:56 am My 10p.

I have rubbish knees. I use oval to keep me riding. I swear by them.
Allen how do you think these help dodgy knees? Lately, ever pedal stroke feels kinda grindy and every step upstairs is a new and exquisite experience in pain.
I'm just going outside ...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yes Tim. 2017 on the other side of the Bealach my knee went just after Applecross, had issues ever since. I got these in 2018 and since done the bb200, 207 miles in a day and all my bikepacking shenanigans. Without oval my knees hurt. I know this because the ss had round... And then my knees hurt. Everything has oval on that I have. Even my bike on the trainer.

Brand of choice? Absolute Black.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

They're not cheap, might wait till I change the chain and do both, but in anticipation...

My crank is a Race Face Aeffect 32 tooth. Absolute black show two options here, a 6mm offset and a 3mm. Do they mean the offset created by the dish in the chainring?

I put a straight edge on the back face and measured to the mounting face, 3mm. So I need the 3mm version? Photo probably explains it better.
20220327_185700_resized.jpg
20220327_185700_resized.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

3mm is boost, 6mm is non boost. I use a boost ring on my hunt which isn't boost for the best chainline .
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I can be a nerdy person, but I don't know a lot about bike standards so I've had to look into this.

So, boost relates to the wheel hub width, my rear hub is 148mm which makes it boost. Therefore I would need the chainring with the 3mm offset? If I'm wrong someone shout out please!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Using oval rings in some form for the past 15 years. Work for me, no reason to change. Most definitely something I like on my SS. Can't remember when I've not had one on my mountain bikes at this point!
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Rob S wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:25 pm I can be a nerdy person, but I don't know a lot about bike standards so I've had to look into this.

So, boost relates to the wheel hub width, my rear hub is 148mm which makes it boost. Therefore I would need the chainring with the 3mm offset? If I'm wrong someone shout out please!
It's a bit of a minefield as there are a few variables but basically if your frame has boost spacing (yours does) you'll want a 3mm offset chainring, yes. Your current chainring seems to confirm this.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Absolute black one on my rigid mtb, which is also my bikepacking bike. Round ones on my other bikes. Not sure if I can tell the difference but defo put more mileage on my rigid at the moment, and I like it
faustus

Post by faustus »

Used the superstar one (38t) on my Camino for about 1100miles so far, and I like it. I think it's a very subtle difference but I think the power delivery is a bit smoother. When my MTB rings die I will try oval on those too. No complaints on the superstar ring and my wallet always baulks at absolute black prices!
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I had an Absolute Black oval ring on my fat bike a few years ago which I rode until it wore out (it lasted ages to be fair). I liked it but I decided to replace it with a round ring and I've not bothered going back to oval. The difference was subtle to the point of being almost unnoticeable to me but I wouldn't not have one again in future. Okay but not earth shattering would be my assessment.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

benp1 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:20 pm Absolute black one on my rigid mtb, which is also my bikepacking bike. Round ones on my other bikes. Not sure if I can tell the difference but defo put more mileage on my rigid at the moment, and I like it
I use absolute black d black spire rings.I've notice the smooth out the power when climbing and it can continue when at climbing steeps/loose surface that would have me stalled on roubd rings. I have a 4 arm one mtb/rohloff 29er. and a 5arm one on the road bike (inner ring 2x10sp). I hear front changing can be an issue only having both outer / inner oval chain rings.
The ovality is less pronounced on 5 arm ones compared to 4 arm ring. that my experience. Ivm win over & sticking with them.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Worth checking out some of the non branded ones knocking about on ebay, lightweight feel good and £15 compared to the branded ones works for me
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams