Carrying fat inner tubes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Carrying fat inner tubes

Post by ootini »

Right, firstly, no one say "go tubeless", as that's for a different thread.

So, carrying a spare tube is common sense, and cycling 101 stuff, but these 26x4" inner tubes are big heavy things. I'm struggling to find some sensible and convenient way to carry my spare.
I could use a stem cell, or my top tube bag, but it takes up the entire bag. I'm a bit dubious about taking one to the frame as I wouldn't want to expose the tube to too much of the elements and find it's punctured when I need it.

Does anyone know of a novel, ingenious way to carry a big inner tube on a bike specifically an OnOne Fatty?
Boab

Re: Carrying fat inner tubes

Post by Boab »

Even if you're running tubeless, it's still sensible to carry an inner tube. I had multiple instances of having to switch to a tube when running my fatty. I used to carry the inner tube in a cheapo PlanetX saddle bag, this was before I got into bike packing and it also carried all my tools and what not too.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a Lomo frame bag that is basically a permanent fitment on my Fatbike. Easily swallows a tube, tools and other bits.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Same as Boab, I used a cheapo saddle bag for my fatty tube on day rides, if I was bikepacking I'd stash the tube in the bottom of my full frame bag
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wrap it in some plastic or such and tape / strap it to the frame. It won't come to much harm.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Given that fat bikes aren't known for low rotating weight, would it be a crazy idea to very lightly inflate the tube and drill a second valve hole, mounting the tube inside the tyre. This would prevent the sealant sloshing around inside the tyre, not be susceptible to conventional punctures as thorns etc would simply deform the inner. Clearly if a tube is needed due to larger holes etc, this would be a 2 minute job without removing the wheel.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

In a poly bag in the bottom of my frame bag. I've worn through one fat and two 29+ tubes carried unbagged in a framebag....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:58 pm Given that fat bikes aren't known for low rotating weight, would it be a crazy idea to very lightly inflate the tube and drill a second valve hole, mounting the tube inside the tyre. This would prevent the sealant sloshing around inside the tyre, not be susceptible to conventional punctures as thorns etc would simply deform the inner. Clearly if a tube is needed due to larger holes etc, this would be a 2 minute job without removing the wheel.
Back in the distant Fatbike past, before tubeless was common, a few folk talked about installing two inner tubes, one inflated, one not. In the event if a puncture, the spare tube could then be inflated. I don't know if anyone followed through on it. Of course, the scenario depended on there not being something sharp left in the tyre. It also meant carrying two spare tubes.

My spares are the lighter-weight Schwalbes so they're not too big or bulky. I usually just carry one and I honestly can't recall the last time I had a puncture on the Fatbike. It was when I was living in Edinburgh so at least 8 years ago.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

On an on-one fatty, I'd wrap it in a plastic bag and tape it between the twin toptubes.

Otherwise, I'd keep a smallish frame bag on there with a tube, cheapo multitool, pump and a few quid inside so there's always the right tools onboard
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I cut a section of old tube, then rerolll the new tube into a sausage shape and slip it inside the section of old tube. Protects it really well and I then just strap that to the bike. Probably makes more sense in the flesh than in text
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I've used a wide 26" downhill / thick tube in the past, got me out of trouble, much lighter than a full fat tube.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you cut up the tube you can fit it inside the seat tube X_X :???:

More seriously, wrap the tube up in something - an old small dry bag is ideal - and tape it to the frame somewhere out of the way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I ran my Fatty for a whole winter with a regular 26x2.4 tube which was all I had at the time when I stuck it in there. It must have been stretched very thin inside the 4in tyre, but it worked. So that's what I've carried ever since as a spare in case my tubeless set up fails.
I'm just going outside ...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:59 pm In a poly bag in the bottom of my frame bag. I've worn through one fat and two 29+ tubes carried unbagged in a framebag....
Yeah, I've had unprotected tubes wear through too. Tubeless > a long time between needing a tube > never noticing a hole wearing... until it's too late and you need a tube.
TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:25 pm I ran my Fatty for a whole winter with a regular 26x2.4 tube which was all I had at the time when I stuck it in there. It must have been stretched very thin inside the 4in tyre, but it worked. So that's what I've carried ever since as a spare in case my tubeless set up fails.
I tend not to change the spare tube in my spares bag when I switch between bikes, on the basis that a 27.5 or 29 x 2.4 will, in a pinch stretch to fill a 27.5x3 tyre, or squish into a 700x35. Maybe someday I will regret this :???:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:09 pm
Yeah, I've had unprotected tubes wear through too. Tubeless > a long time between needing a tube > never noticing a hole wearing... until it's too late and you need a tube.
I was watching a video about certain current events discussing failure of tyres, one group did regular deflation and reinflation to make sure everything worked, the other hasn't and it doesn't seem to have worked out too well for them. :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

or squish into a 700x35
Have you tested this as my 35mm tubes will not go into my 25 mm road tyres -they are just too big too fit
Scud

Post by Scud »

As above i use a 26" downhill tube and have it attached to frame with a strap all the time so never without, trouble is i found that tubeless is great, but if i lost too much air from tyre before sealant worked, the tyres were quite loose on rim despite numerous rounds of tape on rims, so tyre would pop off.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:24 am
or squish into a 700x35
Have you tested this as my 35mm tubes will not go into my 25 mm road tyres -they are just too big too fit
Admittedly, no. I should try to remember to when I put new tyres of, before I fill them with sealant.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

When I had my OOF I used to tape a spare tube up in a plastic bag then strap it under the twin top tubes just behind the head tube and it was fine. I've never used proper fat bike tubes, always using 26/3.0 Specialized downhill tubes instead. Most of the time I've run tubeless but when I have had a tube in the DH tubes worked no problem. Those Spesh DH tubes used to be pretty much the go to solution recommended on the old fat bike forum (which is where I got the idea from).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:33 pm When I had my OOF I used to tape a spare tube up in a plastic bag then strap it under the twin top tubes just behind the head tube and it was fine. I've never used proper fat bike tubes, always using 26/3.0 Specialized downhill tubes instead. Most of the time I've run tubeless but when I have had a tube in the DH tubes worked no problem. Those Spesh DH tubes used to be pretty much the go to solution recommended on the old fat bike forum (which is where I got the idea from).
Yep - that's what I used. There are lighter-weight Schwalbe tubes now too. The original Surly ones were huge and had their gravitational pull.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:28 pm

Yep - that's what I used. There are lighter-weight Schwalbe tubes now too. The original Surly ones were huge and had their gravitational pull.
I'll have to have a look for some of the Schwalbes then. I only use the tubes I have now for seating tyres and carrying just in case so it's not like they're likely to wear out but I'm up for saving a few grams and a bit of space on the bike.