The sad story of the 'Forsaken Dog' of Machynlleth

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

The sad story of the 'Forsaken Dog' of Machynlleth

Post by jay91 »

My wife just showed me this some may find it interesting. Close to BB towers

THE County Times has gone back in time to share the sad story of an unlikely friendship and retelling of the tale of the 'Forsaken Dog of Machynlleth'.

The story is remarkable as it is tragic and spanned the course of three years.

In 1907 a man called JD Sawrey of Tufnell Park in London had visited Llanbrynmair to undertake some engineering work.

There he had met a stray dog and a friendship was formed.

Mr Sawrey stayed for several weeks at the Wynnstay Hotel, Llanbrynmair, and the dog had stayed there with him.

However Mr Sawrey could not take the dog back to London with him and instead sought alternative lodgings for the dog and eventually rented a room at the home of Mr Jervis of Dylife.

For the next three years Mr Sawrey would send money to Mr Jervis to keep the dog at his home.

However in May 1910, PC Humphreys had visited the house and discovered Mr Jervis keeping the dog, a collie, which he admitted he had no license to keep.

Sadly PC Humphreys took out a summons and Mr Sawrey was forced to admit he had no license either but had insisted he would pay for one rather than undertake the expense and time of travelling to Machynlleth.

However Machynlleth Petty Sessions had taken a hardline stance and the dog, a black and white sheep dog, was put down on May 25 and Mr Sawrey fined.

So it was the sad story of the 'Forsaken Dog' of Machynlleth was recorded in the County Times.
Trying to ride bikes.
RIP

Re: The sad story of the 'Forsaken Dog' of Machynlleth

Post by RIP »

Aye bit of a tear-jerker that one. Enjoyed the 'pocket sized story' though thanks! A bit like Gelert The Dog up north....

I wonder if 'PC Humphreys' is one of Nick Humphreys's relatives. I'll have to give him some grief when I pop in to Staylittle Stores at WRT.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Retiredtester

Re: The sad story of the 'Forsaken Dog' of Machynlleth

Post by Retiredtester »

My daughter was very taken by the story of gelert the faithful hound when we visited Beddgelert. Cue ten years (and counting) of explaining to strangers why our lurcher has such a daft name...