Suggest a bivy bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest a bivy bag?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry.

Should be light and versatile as the AK hunks XL but I don't want a Hunka.

Should be cheap enough but not as cheap as the army issue gortex offering but just as strong :smile:

Should be readily available and easily pacjable and decent for winter.

I'm asking for too much right!
ScotRoutes

Re: Suggest a bivy bag?

Post by ScotRoutes »

My #1 question regarding bivvy bags is; does it need to be waterproof or are you going to use it under a tarp?

My #2 is; does it need to have midge netting?
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:58 pm My #1 question regarding bivvy bags is; does it need to be waterproof or are you going to use it under a tarp?

My #2 is; does it need to have midge netting?
Thanks Colin. Won't be using a tarp but not too bothered about midge netting (though it would be an advantage as and when I ever go up to the highlands I suppose).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You're into the "Quality, Light, Cheap - pick any two" conundrum there Shaf :lol:

For under a tarp use I'd suggest the Borah Gear bags - good quality, light (170g for the Argon versions, 130g for the DCF ones) but not cheap. I think they (two Argon models) ended up being £80 each after shipping and import duty. John at BG is open to doing reasonable mods to your spec for no extra cost.

There's the Tyvek bivy bag from Joe's shop, again probably best used under a tarp. I think John Climber just received one.

Standalone (Lie-alone??) apart from Alpkit have a look here - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... y-bags-c41
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd be looking at something from RAB Shaf. Something like an Ascent would fit the bill but it might be a touch heavier than you'd like and you may need to look for a SH one. The other RAB option would be an Alpine but they can be a bit snug - you'll certainly not fit a mat inside. I've found the breathability of RAB eVent bags to be fantastic under just about all conditions.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:26 pm You're into the "Quality, Light, Cheap - pick any two" conundrum there Shaf :lol:

For under a tarp use I'd suggest the Borah Gear bags - good quality, light (170g for the Argon versions, 130g for the DCF ones) but not cheap. I think they (two Argon models) ended up being £80 each after shipping and import duty. John at BG is open to doing reasonable mods to your spec for no extra cost.

There's the Tyvek bivy bag from Joe's shop, again probably best used under a tarp. I think John Climber just received one.

Standalone (Lie-alone??) apart from Alpkit have a look here - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... y-bags-c41
:grin: yes I was thinking that myself and after looking at my first 2 options from previously I'd settled on something at around £100 :smile:

Borah, though under 100ish quid was a bit too slippery for me when I last had one Bob and eventually I may just have to settle on a tarp. Joe's tyvek I have seen before but a bit too tight for my needs...
redefined_cycles

So you reckon this https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... bivi-p1761 would be quite big? Has anyone had long term use out of this as it does come in a longer version https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 000-p14977
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RAB bivi at sportspursuit is half price
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2220490

I have similar and really like it. Mines in bright yellow though, so not so stealthy
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:43 pm So you reckon this https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... bivi-p1761 would be quite big? Has anyone had long term use out of this as it does come in a longer version https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 000-p14977
I have a RAB Ascent.
It's my waterproof bivvy bag option so used without a tarp or with a micro-tarp.
Midge netting works well.
Top can be held open with an overhead line to a branch or a loop fitted under a tarp.
Works really well in adverse conditions.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:51 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:43 pm So you reckon this https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... bivi-p1761 would be quite big? Has anyone had long term use out of this as it does come in a longer version https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 000-p14977
I have a RAB Ascent.
It's my waterproof bivvy bag option so used without a tarp or with a micro-tarp.
Top can be held open with an overhead line to a branch or a loop fitted under a tarp.
Is this as big as a Hunka XL pls Colin
redefined_cycles

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:46 pm RAB bivi at sportspursuit is half price

I have similar and really like it. Mines in bright yellow though, so not so stealthy
Good link that thanks so much Simon. Looks a bit tight for my needs (am 5ft11)?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:09 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:51 pm
I have a RAB Ascent.
Sorry. No idea
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pretty much. You certainly won't struggle to get a mat inside.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've used my ascent with a mat inside and a winter bag - its a little snug but not to the point of squashing the down in the bag.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:11 pm [quote=voodoo_simon post_id=284352 time=<a href="tel:1645969563">1645969563</a> user_id=3402]
RAB bivi at sportspursuit is half price

Good link that thanks so much Simon. Looks a bit tight for my needs (am 5ft11)?
[/quote]

Ermm, pass! I’m only 5ft 7 but have plenty of room in mine.
fatbikephil wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:55 pm I've used my ascent with a mat inside and a winter bag - its a little snug but not to the point of squashing the down in the bag.
Similar experience too but I do find it more comfortable with the mat on the outside rather than the inside
barney

Post by barney »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:54 pm Sorry.

Should be cheap enough but not as cheap as the army issue gortex offering but just as strong :smile:

Shaf, I've got a Black Diamond bivvy bag I no longer need.

If you want I can put it in the post and if it suits you can have it.

Let me know.

Cheers 👍
Wait for me...
redefined_cycles

barney wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:19 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:54 pm Sorry.

Shaf, I've got a Black Diamond bivvy bag I no longer need.

If you want I can put it in the post and if it suits you can have it.

Let me know.

Cheers 👍
Yes pls barney... pm incoming
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

Borah (non-dcf) floors are not really waterproof, which may or may matter, but good to have in mind since they're advertised as such.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

its a silpoly floor and [ though rarely used to be fair] never had an issue with my floor
Are you getting condensation under your mat rather than water through?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Can't say mine's ever leaked and it's been used in some terrible weather. I occasionally get some condensation under my mat.

The uppers are not waterproof so you have to be careful not to put it upside down and kneel on it* and also to make sure in the night you don't slide about and the upper end up against the ground, but not an issue once aware to be careful.

*I once got mine out, chucked my silk liner in, mat and quilt, just to get them out of the bar bag. Knelt/sat on the bivi whist sorting more kit and only when I went to organise the contents did I notice it was upside down and the pressure had forced the water through and my liner was wet :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

It's not super porous but I used it without a groundsheet a and always noticed a bit of wetness on the bottom. At home while washing, I tried pooling some water in the outside bottom and the other side was damp. Haven't really tried anything much more conclusive. It's not a huge deal, but I'm not sure if I'd leave the groundsheet at home any more.
Last edited by kvragu on Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I've got an MLD Superlight which I use on every trip, never let me down since I got it in 2010, Ron calls the bathtub fabric pro silnylon which I think is just 40D.

Also got a BG bivvy but it's not a patch on the MLD in terms of quality and finish

Treated myself to an eVent Soul bivvy last year but not tried it yet.

I like bivvies :grin:
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

Shewie wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:10 pm I've got an MLD Superlight which I use on every trip, never let me down since I got it in 2010, Ron calls the bathtub fabric pro silnylon which I think is just 40D.

Also got a BG bivvy but it's not a patch on the MLD in terms of quality and finish

Treated myself to an eVent Soul bivvy last year but not tried it yet.

I like bivvies :grin:
I never had anything from MLD but couldn't find a fault to the borah. I'd love an event soul, tho. One day!