Guilt issues over not riding.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Re: Guilt issues over not riding.

Post by belugabob »

During last night's dog walk, I thought about this, a little more...

Retirement is the point at which you get to choose whether you waste your time, or not, after many years of having no real say in how other people waste it for you.
Last edited by belugabob on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:18 am
I still need to convince myself that a ride of under an hour is worthwhile but as it is I’ve taken up running.
I struggle a bit with that. I kind of reached the point that if I wasn't out for two days or more, then it didn't seem worth it ... I've not taken up running though.
I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you have a well developed masochistic streak. Then again, you like Welsh bridleways...
ton

Post by ton »

buried my guilt pangs today. just got back from a ace, windy snowy, rainy gust ride with the wife. 25 miles, with 15 miles of paths i have never ridden in my own city. bloody ace really. :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ton wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:53 pm buried my guilt pangs today. just got back from a ace, windy snowy, rainy gust ride with the wife. 25 miles, with 15 miles of paths i have never ridden in my own city. bloody ace really. :-bd
:-bd :-bd

I've been suffering a bit from not riding recently, partly lack of motivation, along with some other barriers, real and imagined. I went out for a long road ride on Sunday. The forecast was bloody awful, and while it wasn't too bad at first, when the weather turned, it really did (riding past woodland got pretty scary). It was bloody ace, and I remembered that actually, riding in proper weather is exhilerating, and I should probably seek it out rather than hide from it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Excellent. Riding new trails is always a boost.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

100% with you Tony.

I've several bikes in the cellar haven't been ridden in over a year..

I go through the eternal cycle of I love to ride, I ride with others, get dropped on climbs etc, realize I'm unfit, hate riding, don't ride, feel guilty, so ride, ride with others, get dropped on climbs etc realize I'm unfit.........
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I go through the eternal cycle of I love to ride, I ride with others, get dropped on climbs etc, realize I'm unfit, hate riding, don't ride, feel guilty, so ride, ride with others, get dropped on climbs etc realize I'm unfit.........
I've just written my column for Cranked about this.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:05 am
You have a regular column Stu? Is it worth subscribing for?

For the guilt thing, it's really tricky to find the balance between riding for enjoyment and riding for necessity (mental health, fitness etc). Whilst I am glad the commutes are now in the past, recent weather has been a test of resolve. I hate headwinds.... Happy in the rain, sun, cloud, cold etc, but headwinds are a special kind of hurt.
I am sure that mixing it up is the way forward - singlespeed, road, geared off road, short sharp rides, long steady rides, group, solo - all in moderation.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You have a regular column Stu?
Kind of. Happened pretty much by accident - I think Seb needed a resident grumpy b'stard :wink:
Is it worth subscribing for?
I wouldn't like to say.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Loki

Post by Loki »

Yes......and no, I have only ridden a few times since Christmas, a general desire to NOT be near a road and cars is fuelling it, I and actually going to seek out counselling to aid the anxiety issues, however I am walking a lot more, just to try and stay active and once this wind dies down a bit I am going for a play on the beach with the fat bike.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

I used to feel guilty if I didn’t get out for at the very least a few hours at a weekend and midweek during spring/summer which was difficult when kids were younger. Been having knee issues for last 10 months and haven’t been able to ride so now feel frustrated and depressed by lack of riding. After years of badgering them my employer are now offering a cycle to work scheme so been fantasising about a new bike this week but in reality I need to sell 2 first and be able to ride again.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:05 am
Best ride on your own, so no stressing about keeping up with folk, just go at your own pace. I've passed a fair few road club rides with a string of stragglers looking miserable....

Read your 'Mountainbiker' article in the BB200 issue and it made me laugh as I've had a similar discussion when a couple of SC bronson riding dudes were checking out the Jones.
slarge wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:18 am
You have a regular column Stu? Is it worth subscribing for?

a lot of it is trail centre focused - like there was an article in#27 about riding in Finland and Sweden but the pics could have been Glentress with different scenery. Good article about yer man Atherton and the BB200 article was good. Its affy dear though.

Re the topic - I've had injury woes which have kept me off the bike and that has really got me down. I then learned that you have to make a big effort to heal yourself and got stuck in. Now things are pretty good I can ride pretty much how I like. Sometimes when the weather is particularly foul I decide to stay in but then I usually end up piling loads of gear on and going out anyway, whereupon I have a great bike ride, even if its only a couple of hours round the local cycleway / back road network.