adjustablewench

Re: Insonia cures?

Post by adjustablewench »

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Circadian-Co ... H8QAvD_BwE

Second hand version available here - reduce reuse recycle an all that
PaulE

Re: Insonia cures?

Post by PaulE »

I've had phases of insomnia most of my life, and a couple of things (other than sex, whisky and sheer physical exhaustion) have helped at times.

Shavasana (dead man) yoga pose is good as part of bedtime routine for me.

Reading something not too involving, such as a novel I've read before or a text book I use at work seems better than just lying there not sleeping.

Last one is something I was massively sceptical about, but worked wonders and has greatly reduced my insomnia severity... About 4 months after my son's diagnosis with a brain tumor 8 years ago, I needed to be able to get back into the classroom and teach. I was having real trouble even getting into "teacher mode" and spoke to a local charity. They put me into a course of hypnotherapy - I thought initially it was a load of BS, but as it was free and got me an hour's break from the oncology ward each week I thought I'd give it a go.

Worked great for me - the therapist started by using visualisation techniques, very similar to those I'd been subconsciously using to memorize DH race courses. I was taught to remove tension from my body, starting at the top of my head, working all the way down to my legs. In the therapy sessions, work was then done to help me split tasks into parenting ones and work ones, and to concentrate parts of my mind on each one. A side effect was that I can calm my mind down and get into a near hypnotic state which when combined with the yoga bit generally does the trick.

Sorry for the massive essay! If you're interested in the final bits, pretty sure I've a CD of relaxation stuff to help which you're welcome to a copy of.