Dogpacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Dogpacking

Post by Verena »

Hi, I feel we need a dogpacking thread on here..... (though come to think of it, if backpacking means carrying your stuff on your back, and bikepacking on your bike, then that doesn't really seem fair on the poor creatures, most of them anyway...)

Anyway, your experiences, thoughts and suggestions, serious or silly, most welcome.

So, for me I have two canine companion options to choose between:

Option 1 is very hairy/fluffy, therefore pretty bombproof in terms of staying warm, in terms of temperament a PITA but adorable, but he is a total mud magnet, and his breath comes straight from satan's bottom, so snuggling up close to him is only a moderately attractive option (hang on a minute, does that sound a bit like many a bikepacker to you? :lol: ). So I'd want to be very much in my own sleeping bag, probably inside a bivvy bag to keep the mud out, and he'd be fine with something mat like that vaguely symbolyses "bed" to his tiny brain, so he will actually settle and sleep.

Option 2 is very short haired to the point of being practically naked. Has the same filthy habits most dogs do, but manages to successfully give the impression of being very clean, plus would definitely freeze to death in anything less than 25 degrees, or at least that's what she'd tell you. Plus adorably snuggly. So will either need her own quilt type thing, or I wonder if a double sized sleeping bag might be nice.... purely for survival/ sharing of body heat purposes you understand :oops:

Wouldn't trust either of them to stay put during a night out, so would have to be in an enclosed tent I think. Unless I physically tie them to me somehow....which I'm sure could lead to some hilarious complications....

Anyway, I made a start last weekend, easing the little lady in gently and in the manner she is accustomed to, by taking her very much glamping, albeit in quite a sharp frost.

ImageIMG_20220129_203726 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220130_065552 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220130_065922 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
RIP

Re: Dogpacking

Post by RIP »

Love the Dog Shed! That's more cosy than our house :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: ↑Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:53 pm Love the Dog Shed! That's more cosy than our house :grin: .
my thought. that quite some place for 'in the dog house'.
but breath like Satan arse! :roll: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

I'm going to do some trips with our Springer Spaniel this summer too, been doing some biking with her already which has gone well so on to dog bikepacking trips now.

Like you we will need to take the tent due to lack of brainpower or self control but the spaniel is even worse πŸ˜„

Want to get into bikejor racing too
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

flyingpig wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:09 am I'm going to do some trips with our Springer Spaniel this summer too, been doing some biking with her already which has gone well so on to dog bikepacking trips now.

Like you we will need to take the tent due to lack of brainpower or self control but the spaniel is even worse πŸ˜„

Want to get into bikejor racing too
if we tried bike 'dog mushing'with the collie labrador cross (colidor/labrie?) that adopted us* and took out for walks, she have chased in front, turned heel rounded us up, then retrieved us back to where we started. intresting mix of temporment. it have been an unholy tangle fest

*the bitch was neglected by neighbours (but too proud to sell her) and turned out into their back garden . she jumped all the fence in the row and guarded 'her new property' their front garden, postie beware** :shock: and all cos she got a big walk at weekends and lwalks to the village shops etc , and other attention like grooming, repaid as very loyal and protect of my wife & her family...
** home security sales man were waisting their time!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Just been planning my first dogpacking trip, too.

Walk to local train station, shortish journey to Christ's Hospital, hiking up the Downslink (old railway line) to a campsite, visit pub, crash at campsite, reverse trip home.

Also thinking that a 2 man tent would be better that a tarp, to stop doggy wanderings.
Definitely sleeping bag inside bivvy for claw and mud avoidance.
Only have a cheap ( but surprisingly light ) single skin tent, at the moment, but may upgrade to something like an Ordos 2, if it looks like a regular event.

Bike rides with the dog, in the local forest, work very well, but I'd be wary of bikedogpacking unless I could find a traffic/sheep free route.

(Cocker Spaniel, BTW)
Verena

Post by Verena »

flyingpig wrote: ↑Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:09 am Like you we will need to take the tent due to lack of brainpower or self control but the spaniel is even worse
:lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'll be retiring my work dog in the next couple of months, he's a lovely dog but he's big and a bit of a handful at times so leaving him at home with Mrs J while I clear off bikepacking isn't going to be an option. This means that for a few years at least (hopefully more though) I'm going to be restricted to shorter day rides and I've been pondering dog packing with him to get my fix of overnighters. As he's an older dog long treks probably aren't the best idea but a wee stroll out to a nice camp spot and back is appealing. I've no idea how he'll react but I'll keep you posted on this thread.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Do you remember the "good old days" in early covid, when it was perfectly normal to go camping in your living room??

This was us last night, the super furry animal refused to sleep inside, too hot I think, but Hermione I think really liked it, just happy to go onto her bed inside and kip, and cwtch up for a snuggle from time to time...

I had planned on taking the whole event outside of course, but it was a horrid night weather wise with very strong winds, which I know is no excuse whatsoever....next time!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/130146078@N08/8dV827
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

https://instagram.com/mira_la_perra?utm ... =copy_link

Hope that link works, all round nice guy and his dog.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'd love to be able to go dog packing, but my dogs have always been a pain in the arse camping, though to be fair they were lurcher/greyhound types. They were so excited and stressed that when we stopped they were constantly scanning for stuff to chase and wouldn't eat or drink.

I've watched a few YouTube videos of people in the US regularly camping with dogs that carry their own gear, and even goat packing too! I'm very envious. They seem to have no issues, so it maybe depends more on your dog's temperament and how 'clingy' it is. Some share tents and bags, some just a blanket to lie on.

Best of luck
Verena

Post by Verena »

Project dogpacking is slowly progressing....

Recent holiday has confirmed that Hermione has absolutely no stamina, and is very happy much of the time to stay put and snooze, preferably in comfort with a blanket on top of her - interspersed with brief periods of going absolutely crazy, and of course she does walk too, just not for more than an hour or so...

So I feel the idea of a trailer is worth having a play with.... cheap second hand trailer acquired, tick. Kiddy seats removed, tick. Have been leaving it out in the garden and laced it with treats to get her used to it, but in the end we just picked her up and put her in it, and she was more than happy to curly up in it and stay put.

Next stage I need to fit some sort of ply floor, as she/it has a rather saggy bottom :lol: .

Then I guess it's trying her out on some very short rides... wish us luck!

Image2022-04-04_04-45-06 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I saw a bloke in Scotland a few years ago carrying a big Lab' round in a similar trailer ... dog loved it, bloke not so much.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: ↑Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm I saw a bloke in Scotland a few years ago carrying a big Lab' round in a similar trailer ... dog loved it, bloke not so much.
It'll be good training...😀😀, especially if I carry camping stuff as well....
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

One of these little cuties will be accompanying me "dog packing" one day!
We have 8 of them, Labrador X Australian Kelpie so should have plenty of stamina.
2 Boys and 3 Girls still available if you like your bikepacking company to have 4 legs!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

We had a trailer for Archie but he hated it and was always trying to get out of it.

Molly on the other hand is not going to get a choice, I'm gonna start her young and she'll have to like it.

Once I've had my Pannier rack extended by the welder at work (as it won't fit over my 29er+'s wheel size with enough clearance, I'll be copying Shona and Rich from Keep Peddling with their basket that they use for Olive and buying the very same one.

Spend the next 11 months getting her used to it (once she can leave the house from this Saturday) and hopefully bring her to the 2023 WRT for a light and gentle bit of dog packing around the Welsh country side.

forget the LHC we could have a DWRT gang with out dogs riding and running together. :-bd
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Out teepee style Lanshan goes up outer only and is ideal for the dog. A bit of vet bed of the right size is useful if it's a bony lurcher like ours.

faustus

Post by faustus »

Get the mutt to earn its crust, and earn the title 'dogbacker' by packing some gear on the beast! Mini panniers like a wee donkey? :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Go camping, they said.

It'll be fun, they said. :roll:

No bike involved just yet, but it had been such a lovely, sunny long weekend, that I thought why not top it off with taking Hermione for her first camping trip in the woods?

She settled down on her bed soon enough, but evening was in full swing, and there were lots and lots of interesting noises and no doubt smells, from the ravens, nearby sheep, lots and lots of birds and just general woodland sounds. Lovely, I poured myself a nice glass of wine, put the kettle on, and... relax.

ImageIMG_20220604_212012 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

After a little while, Hermione thought it was time to turn in for the night, so she took herself inside, scraped around to make herself a comfy bed, and yes, you guessed right, this involved my sleep mat, PJs, pillow and most other available fleecy comfy things, as well as most of the available space, leaving me wondering where exactly I would be sleeping, and what on/ under?? :lol:

ImageIMG_20220604_212948 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Very shortly afterwards, and totally unexpectedly (it hadn't occurred to me to check the weather forecast, otherwise I might have seen the yellow weather warning :shock: ), it started to rumble with thunder, there was lightning, then it kicked off properly with torrential rain hammering down onto our small tent, and the thunderstorm bouncing around the Brecon Beacons seemingly right above us....

It was all very cosy of course, and cute, from my perspective, being all dry and cosy in the tent with the rain pattering down, snuggling up under the blankets with Hermione, alternately covering her eyes and ears and trying to be as calm and reassuring as I could be.... but after an hour or so and no sign of it passing, her quietly lying there trembling like a leaf, and having by now seen the weather forecast, we abandoned camp, made a dash for the car in the dark, got soaked in the process, and drove home.

So, any dog psychologists out there? I can only imagine what trauma has been inflicted on the already sensitive creature :cry: :oops: .....I expect she'll for a while panic at the sight of any trees, tents, even the colour blue maybe?? Could this be already the end of the road for what was supposed to be our beautiful dogpacking journey together???
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You might be surprised how quickly they forget V. Try putting the tent up in the garden and see if she takes herself in there ... I once found Roo in my hammock, widh I'd seen her getting in that :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dog packing starts with Puppy peddling

Thanks to Shona and Rich from Keep Peddling for the inspiration

She seemed to enjoy her first ride around the block over the weekend
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

JohnClimber wrote: ↑Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:08 am Dog packing starts with Puppy peddling

😱 Looks like she's off to the gallows
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

belugabob wrote: ↑Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:44 am
JohnClimber wrote: ↑Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:08 am Dog packing starts with Puppy peddling

Off to market maybe (peddled)? :ugeek:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Jurassic wrote: ↑Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:01 pm

Peddant...πŸ˜‰
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

belugabob wrote: ↑Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:41 pm
Jurassic wrote: ↑Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:01 pm

Peddant...πŸ˜‰
Guilty as charged. :lol: