29+ suspension forks with clearance for 3.0” tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

substandard

29+ suspension forks with clearance for 3.0” tyres

Post by substandard »

Does such a thing exist?

3.0” tyres fit lovely on my Smokestone mr harry which has a rigid whisky fork and a mudhugger.

Built up some 29” wheels for my fatbike and there isn’t room to run a mudhugger under the fork bridge of the bluto which led me to question is there are such forks about that would clear a 29x3.0” and have enough space for a mudhugger.

I see fox badge forks up as 27.5+/29 but nothing labelled 29+ - I know it’s a niche to the mainstream world, just wondered what was out there.
Lazarus

Re: 29+ suspension forks with clearance for 3.0” tyres

Post by Lazarus »

Manitou magnum pro ( if you can find them *)
Takes 2.8 650 b+ and is 29+ but i would guess only at 2.8 ( don't have wheels to try ) as only 2.9 at the bridge

LAUF YMMV

* Mine may be for sale as selling my latitude but would depend on whether new owner wants it rigid or bouncy will sell it on next few weeks and let you know )
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I've got a rochshock sektor RL https://www.sram.com/en/service/models/fs-sktr-rl-c1
Which can take a 29r 3inch /81mm tyre apparently
Trying to ride bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Whatever went on the front of a Trek Stache? Sorry no idea but they could clear a 29x3 whatever they were.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manitou-Matt ... 56-20017-0

I’ve had these on my watch list for some time now wondering whether they’d like to live on my Krampus.
If you bought them I could stop thinking about them every time I went on eBay.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Had similar issue with DHF 4.8 in Bluto, so modified my mudhugger to fit over the bridge - 2 small cut outs. Not especially pretty but works fine! The side lugs still cable tie to the fork legs fine.

(You still won't get a DHF 29x3 in a Bluto though, not enough clearance even without a mudguard)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The 2019 Rockshox Pike was sold in a 29+ flavour, I've got one. Specced for max width 82mm, max diameter 786mm.

Newer models are listed as 81mm/770mm max so worth checking your mounted tyre size.
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... nglish.pdf

I run Chronicles and XR2 with a Lauf with no problems.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Thanks for the replies everyone

There’s no way even running xr2’s that I’ll be able to trim a mudhugger and it fit, even tried the mudhugger off my Smokestone mr Harry and that was a no go either.

Really not a fan of laufs, have had a carbonara and a trail racer in the past.

I’d also spotted wren make a boost version of their upside down fork, creates as many problems as it solves really as with no bridge the mudguard ends up high like it is on a lauf.

Might keep an eye out for a rockshox then.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Did you note where I said mount the mudguard over (instead of under) the bridge.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Somehow missed that! Cheers for being bothered enough to double nudge me, I’ve got a few spares so might hack one up.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

substandard wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:42 am Does such a thing exist? [...]
As for the title, I think so.
So far I've had 2.9 Vittorias and 2.6 Maxxis tyres on Fox 34 Float, Fox 34 Rhythm, both in 29" boost. There's ample clearance for small mudguards
substandard wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:42 am [...] led me to question is there are such forks about that would clear a 29x3.0” and have enough space for a mudhugger.

I see fox badge forks up as 27.5+/29 but nothing labelled 29+ - I know it’s a niche to the mainstream world, just wondered what was out there.
With the mudhuggers it's a different situation.
I remember preparing our bikes for a trip - with Fox 34 Rhythm, 2.6 Vittoria - and could fit an old mudhugger in there, but it was so close, we didn't run with it.
I've never tried a 3" tyre on my Fox forks, but could swap wheels - the 3" tyre being a Maxxis Minion DHF - and let you know if it works. But as above, I don't think a mudhugger will fit and probably even with just a small mudguard it'll be too tight.

Also with a DVO Diamond, 29" boost, with a mudhugger on it and a chunky 2.4" tyre, this is aleeady quite tight. 2.6" probably wouldn't work with a mudhugger either.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

K Chassis Fox 34s, which were for 27.5+ have a larger clearance than normal boost Fox 34s and will take a 29+ tyre fine. Suspect not enough clearance for a mudhugger tho'.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've run a 29x3 Dirt Wizard in a Fox Float 32 and it was fine for width but VERY tight on diameter. No good in mud and zero chance of a mudguard.