Tent stealthiness Green or Brown

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mactheknife68

Tent stealthiness Green or Brown

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Thinking of new tent but was set on green but only brown in stock. Not sure about brown or am I being picky
lune ranger

Re: Tent stealthiness Green or Brown

Post by lune ranger »

I don’t think it matters as long as it’s not bright.
Joe public isn’t too observant.
There is also a good argument not to go properly camouflaged. If someone sees a concealed camouflage material tent/tarp/bivi they are more likely to be alarmed or curious and therefore react and intervene or report what they have seen.
A semi concealed camp that looks obviously civilian/benign is more likely to be ignored.
This advice would be even more important in some foreign countries if you ever intend to travel.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I find the dark green on my Hilleberg a bit more "stealth" than the dark green on the Trekkertent. I camped with a couple in the States with a DCF tent that was a " leaf litter" pattern to it. Almost invisible in the woods.
As lune ranger says, something which could be interpreted as military issue could get the wrong kind of attention in some parts of the world.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Indeed that choice of camouflage material would be seriously alarming here in Northern Ireland :shock:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:36 pm Indeed that choice of camouflage material would be seriously alarming here in Northern Ireland :shock:
Probably not the best choice for an impromptu roadside kip in Armagh!
In all seriousness how do you approach stealth camping in your neck of the woods?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Very carefully, can wild camp in the mountains etc but farmers usually don’t take kindly to you using their land, hence think green tent might be easier to hide.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a brown 3F UL Lanshan 1, bought it as the green version was out of stock and I didn't want the light grey coloured one as I thought it would stand out too much. The brown one is still pretty stealthy tbh but given a choice I think I'd still prefer green as brown is just a generally unappealing colour imho.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Cheers Jurassic I think I’ll go for green
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Grey can be surprisingly stealthy on those drizzly misty moorland nights :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 am Grey can be surprisingly stealthy on those drizzly misty moorland nights :wink:
I can see what you're saying Stu but the Lanshan is very light coloured, almost off-white rather than grey (would be good if you camp in the snow probably). My shitty brown one is fine anyway, it blends in quite well, it just looks horrible! :roll: