What rear light that is not a TraceR?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

What rear light that is not a TraceR?

Post by Dave Barter »

I know I know I know about Exposure service but my TraceR has died for the 3rd time after water ingress at the WE. I'm sick of sending it back.

Looking for a USB chargeable rear light of similar brightness that is fully waterproof and fits on seatpost without a mount
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What rear light that is not a TraceR?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pretty impressed with my Guee but the light which has impressed me most for its brightness, ease of use and unwillingness to die is the Blackburn local ... however mine runs on AA but they might now do a usb version? Dunno.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:37 pm I know I know I know about Exposure service but my TraceR has died for the 3rd time after water ingress at the WE. I'm sick of sending it back.

Looking for a USB chargeable rear light of similar brightness that is fully waterproof and fits on seatpost without a mount
We've got the Alpkit ones, the Tau, work well, have various modes can have them constant, flashing, etc.

My favourite though is this - https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/fwe/r ... e=93140408, biggest problem is it's so small it's easy to lose! The mount is probably the best I've come across - there's a springy clip moulded to the casing that you can use to fix to straps but in that moulded clip is a keyhole that lets you mount it to a seat post mount using a quarter turn. A bit awkward to describe but it's obvious and intuitive when you see it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

i have one of those Evans one like Bob. just perfect really. had it a few years and still going ok.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Specialized Stix.
Various modes and level of brightness.
They do different mounts but I have found the rubber band jobbie it comes with will work (more or less well) on the sestpost, saddle pack, helmet or seatstay (with padding)
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Al

Post by Al »

Got a Lezyne strip drive for Christmas- impressed so far
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Have you thought about mounting on the chainstay. Nothing to block the view and no mud or water gets sprayed on it there
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I bought a Bontrager Flare R a few years ago after reading loads of reviews, it's been fantastic and regularly gets soaked with wet mud, road dirt etc and survives being jetwashed when I get back from riding. They no longer make the version that I have, it's been updated but based on my experience with this one I'd replace it with the new version if mine bites the dust (mud).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you wiser now Dave? :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:17 pm Are you wiser now Dave? :wink:

Isn’t the sequence - Ask question, get a load of answers, do what you were going to do anyway?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

sn’t the sequence - Ask question, get a load of answers, do what you were going to do anyway?
Indeed, the way of the internet.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:17 pm Are you wiser now Dave? :wink:
I get less wise by the day. Some useful options there
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I get less wise by the day
but it is perhaps only a wise man who realises that :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

t_id=281537 wrote:Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm I bought a Bontrager Flare R a few years ago after reading loads of reviews, it's been fantastic and regularly gets soaked with wet mud, road dirt etc and survives being jetwashed when I get back from riding. They no longer make the version that I have, it's been updated but based on my experience with this one I'd replace it with the new version if mine bites the dust (mud).
Dave, I have two of these sorts. They're fantastic and drop down to the lowest power required to be seen from afar (higher output during daylight hours) if you put in that mode. I have 2 and they've been amazing. First one went missing after my BB200 inaugural ride in 2019 and then when I found it months later had a hard time resuscitating it. But been going strong for another 2 years since then :-bd

Plus, plus... if you get the newer version (rl I think) it connects to your garmin edge and does all sorts of fancy stuff. The bands to go round the seatpost aren't as flimsy as the (vaguely exciting) expsoures either...

Let me find you a link of the latest (that I have and been going strong for 2 years).

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bontra ... Light/JJ37
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I quite like the rather powerful Lezyne ZECTO DRIVE MAX REAR.
Nearly perfect.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just found a new (but slightly dusty) Blackburn in my spares Dave - I'll send it down if you want it?
Boab

Post by Boab »

On a related note, I've got an Exposure Blaze MK3, and just like the TraceR, I have no idea how to fit it to the back of my Restrap seat pack. Any ideas for how to mount them to that, or to the seat stays...?
I normally run with one of those "smart" CubeLite things, which is USB chargeable, but only runs for about 12 hours before you need to recharge it, which you can't do while it's mounted.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 am I've just found a new (but slightly dusty) Blackburn in my spares Dave - I'll send it down if you want it?
Thanks Stu very kind but I’m going to go with Shafs recommendation as that looks the business.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Have used the Tau and cube lite and like them both. No complaints. I've got a standard Expsoure Red Eye that is bonkers bright. Has all the fairly clear +&- of a light that has to be plugged in via a lead to the main Exposure light.

TBH I usually have a Cube on the bike and another random rear that I can clip to me, bags etc. Always prefer a bit of redundancy to my rear lights and I guess I achieve that with several, rather than one with excellent performance.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’ve been really impressed with my knot plus rear light - fully usb chargeable
I mounted mine on my seat stay and it’s been solid - not moved and has been through some gruels shocking weather

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-plus-rear ... lsrc=aw.ds

Kinda similar to a leyzne strip light but cheaper
2924 miles per Gallon