Cooking stuff in yer pants.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Cooking stuff in yer pants.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, not a typo but actually cooking stuff in your pants.

https://thetrek.co/the-gossamer-gear-cr ... ckpacking/
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Re: Cooking stuff in yer pants.

Post by lune ranger »

There’s a long history of certain types of squaddie cooking their scran like that. Emptying the whole contents of a ration pack into a placcy bag and shoving down the front of their smock. :YMSICK:
I gonna stick to my stove.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I had to check the date there...
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I believe it actually started out as a wind-up, but in typical humourless , ultraliter fashion, they missed joke and actually demanded it as a product. Cos tepid disintegrating Ramen is better than having it cold, right? Idiots.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Looking forward to reading your review...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Is that a rehydrated sausage and potatoes in your pouch or are you just pleased to see me?" etc etc etc

Yes, also checked date.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Surely this is the inspiration.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPnayr6iSpY
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That woman looks like she is eating a bag of maggots?!
Confession - I've done this with a boil in the bag meal but it was on a chilly day ride.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I knew this had been part of a discussion and found this:
Alpinum wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 am and then there's the lightest of light – crotch cooking. Sounds worse than it is and works astonishingly well.

There you go, lightest stove system; put water in a sealable pouch with food to rehydrate ("cook"), shove it down your crotch, give it half an hour, enjoy.
Gosh... what a lengthy discussion about marketing bs and "the lightest stove system" :shock: :lol:
I must have been injured to spend so much time on here :???:

Anyhow, third time to Iceland but on my first bike trip there, I messed up packaging for food drops and by mistake sent all my fuel (for my meths stove) with the food to the north which I had planned to reach in about 5 days. First night heading north I found a wonderful spot to camp, was elated and excited for the first day riding was absolutely wonderful and I couldn't wait to ride further into the nothingness. I unpacked my stuff and soon realised I had no fuel with me. My spirit sank a bit. Then I put water to a freeze dried meal, stuffed it into my trousers and was quite amazed by how okay it was. Next couple of days saw me crotch cooking my way across the highlands. Good times.
I was happy to be reunited with my fuel later on, but I was just as happy to have made the experience and find it to work quite okay.

Thanks for the reminder. Someday I shall visit the mountains on a long walk in the summer months with only a handbag. :grin:
Robster

Post by Robster »

Worth a read for the origins…

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure ... van-peski/

Cheers Rob
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While looking for a long lost path today and resorting to scrambling up the side of a mountain on all fours, I got to thinking ... I fully appreciate the potential benefits of travelling light but I'm fairly certain that carrying a 100g cooking kit will hinder my progress far less than having a plastic bag of pasta down my shorts. There is a point where ultralight becomes stupidlight and the tables (not like yours Tim) turn :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:40 pm While looking for a long lost path today and resorting to scrambling up the side of a mountain on all fours, I got to thinking ... I fully appreciate the potential benefits of travelling light but I'm fairly certain that carrying a 100g cooking kit will hinder my progress far less than having a plastic bag of pasta down my shorts. There is a point where ultralight becomes stupidlight and the tables (not like yours Tim) turn :wink:
Stuff the food into your trousers when you arrive at camp.
On long self supported trips you save loads of weight in the form of fuel. The longer the trip, the more weight you save. Might not be your scope to go out on multi week self supoorted trips, yet it's a regular for many others.
But I'm afraid this could go down the same rabbit hole of the thread where I took my quote from...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stuff the food into your trousers when you arrive at camp.
On long self supported trips you save loads of weight in the form of fuel. The longer the trip, the more weight you save. Might not be your scope to go out on multi week self supoorted trips, yet it's a regular for many others.
But I'm afraid this could go down the same rabbit hole of the thread where I took my quote from...
I was thinking about the original 'article' Gian as that seemed to suggest warming your food while hiking, riding etc. I'm not saying it can't be done and I'm not saying people don't do it :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I get your point. I was trying to highlight that it's not about saving weight (and bulk) of stove and pot, but fuel.

And it's not like you'd need to soak freeze dried meals for a full day in your pants.

It's not as bad as it sounds :smile:
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

These are much better. Dyneema pants, more comfortable, higher cooking temperatures and roomy enough to cook a sunday roast including gravy.
Attachments
il_794xN.2031174448_29r5.jpg
il_794xN.2031174448_29r5.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 924 times