WRT and routes.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: WRT and routes.

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 pm Let's not forget that the aim of the LHC is to provide a stepping stone for those who are new to the whole thing or don't yet know anyone and have no one to ride with. Obviously there's nothing to stop people arranging to ride with others but the LHC kind of ceases to be if it's simply a group of regulars, old hands, etc.
I fully agree, the LHC is for newbies, for those who don't have a riding partner but would like the security of a group and for those who simply can't map read.
If they are fit enough and have their own gear they are all welcome.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:42 pm
psling wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:30 am But at least that way you make your own choice of where to park (where to go) :cool:
I think parking in car-parks (on the very very rare occasions that I do it) is divided into two camps.

1. ALWAYS park next to someone else even they're the only vehicle in a car-park the size of an airport and that vehicle is in the far corner.
2. ALWAYS park as far away from all other vehicles as possible especially if there's a warden and they're directing you to park in a particular place.

In fact this is a good guide to splitting the entire population of the UK into two types.

Reg is probably the third type of course, ahem.
I always park as close to the exit as possible.

So. The LHC is for people who don't know the trail and need assistance but are sociable. Stus idea of dishing out a few suggested GPX track is for anti-social gits like me :-bd
Robster

Post by Robster »

I’m definitely in the leave it as it is camp but…

How about instead of a planned route, you mark the shops and cafes that are probably open on the weekend that are close to the grid refs. That way there’s always a bit less for new people to worry about.

Ok, I’ve done a few WRTs but if you mark the grid refs on your map then that’s enough detail to plan on the fly. You’ll find some dire tracks but also some hidden gems.

Cheers Rob