Post workout sensation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Post workout sensation

Post by ootini »

Just curious, but does anyone else feel a touch sick / spewy after a workout sometimes?

To explain I feel find after a ride, after 30 mins on the cross trainer and after my usual strength building workout with the weights. However, fifteen minutes of HiiT with my 12kg kettlebell and five minutes after finishing I feel light headed and quite sick for about another fifteen minutes or so. Any theories? Is this OK?
Last edited by ootini on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Post workout sensation

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Given that some people blackout during workouts it doesn't sound too bad*

*not a healthcare professional
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

No idea but it would put me off doing them
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

I remember chatting to a work colleague many years ago about his fitness training. He competed in the vets category for International Ironman events and i was keen to pick up any cycling tips.
He asked if I had ever raced to which the answer was No.
He then said until you race you will never know just how far you can push yourself. He said he did a good training ride a couple of days previously and had to pull over twice to puke! This wasn't because of indigestion etc but simply because he was pushing himself to the limit.
He wasn't a show off type and just said it very matter of fact.

Whilst i have pushed myself hard on some club rides where my legs have been crying out for mercy, I have never pushed myself so hard that I felt i was going to puke. However, if I wanted to get significantly better, then i dare say i would need to deal with the mind/mental side and push myself until I felt i was going to puke.
Funny that but I don't see the appeal myself 😂😂
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I clicked the 'training*' session button on my gps device once and went for a ride with the power meter for about 40 mins. Did whatever it asked me to do in terms of power output and by the time I got back home I was like jelly. Worse feeling ever! Often thought about it but that's where it ends...

Mate of mine raced me up Swaines Lane once. He obviously won but after that puked at least twice :o

I reckon it's probably got to do with anaerobic (without oxygen) side of the workout and lactic acid build up etc... But I could be wrong. Another thing that could be linked is that those activities like digesting of food happen properly when your resting (during 'resting and digesting' as opposed to 'fight or flight**' system of the bodies metabolism). During fight or flight when you're full of adrenaline you don't digest (or poo) very well as the blood flow isn't targeted at the gut (and lots of other fancy stuff). If you wanna feel how that works to 'the fullest', then try eating something solid next time you're working so hard. Chances are you might hage the worse tummy ache ever (to go along with the puky phases :-bd

*Called something else but you know what I mean... Shows lots of pretty numbers, colours and power meter target zones and thresholds.

**When you might wanna punch someone's lights out or run away really really fast.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Blood pressure all good?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sounds like something is wrong to me but in the past I encountered a few fit types who seemed to be regular spewers (usually after just getting warmed up on a ride) and they reckoned it was just the way they were. When I do my pilates class I can get fairly well wrecked doing some of the exercises, sometimes to the point of nearly collapsing in a heap, when the instructor is feeling particularly sadistic; but she always throws in short rests and stretches between exercises - just enough to recover a bit but not so that you get much of a rest. Wonder if this is what you need to do between workouts?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

HIIT is basically designed to make you feel like that. It's when you know that you're actually pushing hard enough... vs most people who do MIIT.

Tabata stuff is especially nasty.

Related, taste of blood / trying to stop myself throwing up is when I know I've given it all on an FTP test.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:05 am HIIT is basically designed to make you feel like that. It's when you know that you're actually pushing hard enough... vs most people who do MIIT.

Tabata stuff is especially nasty.

Related, taste of blood / trying to stop myself throwing up is when I know I've given it all on an FTP test.
Taste of blood?? That's really pushing your lungs over the edge Rich :o Like really, you need to reduce that intensity mate? :smile:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:12 am Taste of blood?? That's really pushing your lungs over the edge Rich :o Like really, you need to reduce that intensity mate? :smile:
FTP test is once every couple of months if that. It's supposed to be literally everything you've got.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:30 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:12 am Taste of blood?? That's really pushing your lungs over the edge Rich :o Like really, you need to reduce that intensity mate? :smile:
FTP test is once every couple of months if that. It's supposed to be literally everything you've got.
I don't disagree Rich. But taste of blood might mean you're popping some of the tiny blood vessels around the alveoli... I'm not a sports physio but I imagine it might be good to look into it mate and speak to a pro in the breathing/exercise/healthcare dept. Just trying to be a good bear bones buddy :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

:-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've done HIIT twice in my life and both times I felt sick during let alone afterwards. I'd really have to have a solid goal to work towards to go through that too often.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Have felt quite sick after pushing it hard on the rower and it's not an uncommon feeling if I overdo the intensity of something, at times. Always been like that. So, for me I think it's relatively "normal".

As others have said though, it *might* be a sign of something amiss.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I know a lad who won a gold medal in the rowing at the Sydney Olympics, they had a saying "If you've not won or had to be resuscitated then you've not tried hard enough"

I sometimes get a bit nauseous after a run if I've really been trying but I have to be really going at my maximum. Doesn't happen on the bike much as the terrain means there's usually a chance to recover before I reach that level.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

This from an article on the subject...
Causes

Some of the main causes of exercise-induced nausea and gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms include:

reduced blood flow to the digestive tract and abdominal organs
delayed gastric emptying
dehydration
hyponatremia, which is a lack of sodium in the blood

During exercise, there may be a reduction of up to 80% in the blood flow to the abdominal organs, as the body sends more blood to the muscles and skin. This effect may result in nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhoea.

Eating too soon before a workout can also cause nausea.

A study from 2001 in 12 healthy participants found that exercising immediately after eating caused higher levels of nausea than waiting 60 minutes before exercising.

The researchers also found that nausea levels were higher during high intensity workouts than during low intensity workouts.

Moderate exercise appears to have little effect on gastric emptying, whereas high intensity or intermittent exercise may slow down gastric emptying and cause nausea or other GI symptoms.

Seems quite normal. I do generally try to leave at least an hour and a half between eating and super intense exercise, though obviously life can get in the way of that.

Edit - I did find this, which I thought was interesting: "He also recommends sitting or lying down and putting your feet up. This can help return blood flow back to the center of your body and to your gut."

Almost like treating shock.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember as kids, we were all told not to go back in the sea straight after eating our gritty sand infested butties or you'd get cramp, drown and die?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

It could be a stomach acid, reflux issue. Do you get acid indigestion at other times?
jameso

Post by jameso »

I can feel queasy after a turbo session that puts me at my max 5-15min pace level but that seems normal enough, it's hard work and stresses your system. I only do them as part of specific training plans though, if something justifies it over my normal riding pattern that has a good balance of polarised effort in it anyway.

There's a lot of machismo bollocks in training talk. And actually throwing up as part of training is weird. (Edit, it may be more normal than I realise?). Never done that because I don't eat soon before exercise. And the idea you can't reach max unless you race is BS too. That may be so if your efforts are based on reacting to what others do or a race position. If your motivation comes from elsewhere you can push to your maximum alone in training.

True to say if you really push hard in training you're good for nothing at the end, it's the last couple of efforts that you can't fully complete that say you're pushing hard enough for gains. IANADr etc, still, whether you gain much by pushing absolute max Vs other methods I'm not sure. For track sprinting yes I expect so, it's an all out effort. For distance riding and repeated 5-30 min hill efforts etc it's totally effective to work at or just past FTP/20 mins level. That's a fair bit below max HR.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Very few of us truly get to maximum effort. I remember one of the British Olympic track cycling team say that they had vomit buckets by the side of the track for their really hard sessions. I've pushed myself hard but never close to the point I feel like vomiting.

Here's a short discussion of feeling faint after hard exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqYmVL174s When Richard talks about doing an FTP test it's these guys' programme he's following.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

Sorry just to clarify, I think the way to describe the sensation is nausea. I've never actually hurled, just that nauseous feeling you get, similar to car sickness I guess.
Also, my wife is a para so get her to do my BP from time to time, almost always 130/80, which I believe is pretty good.
I'm thinking, based on the info here, it's a combination of simply pushing hard in that type of work out, and probably not leaving it long enough after eating.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have thrown up a few times, but oddly never when training at home.

Easier to be more regimented about warmup / cooldown etc when you're training rather than going all out in the heat of the moment.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I always have a sick basin next to the turbo when I do Zwift races. The sprint for the line at the end has made me puke a couple of times.

Puked occasionally in training when I used to do Muay Thai. And once during a five-a-side match in an indoor sports hall #-O

If you're really going balls-out then it's not that uncommon ime.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:08 pm Puked occasionally in training when I used to do Muay Thai.
Yup, I've done that after sparring.

Also did after grappling with some monster of a guy about 6 inches taller than me and twice my weight. I wasn't in a hurry to go back after that. :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ditto in sparring situations, sometimes. Suspect it'll be partly linked to the raging hormones and nerves. "Fight or flight" can be pretty literal (and bodily) in some situations :YMSICK:

(surprised that emoji hasn't been posted already :lol:)