Front opening sleeping bag like....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Front opening sleeping bag like....

Post by JohnClimber »

After seeing Sam's Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Spark Sleeping Bag this weekend I fancy trying one, but of course they aren't available any more.

So, please do you know any other similar synthetic (or hydra phobic down) front opening sleeping bags that are OK for UK 3 srasons that you can let me know about
redefined_cycles

Re: Front opening sleeping bag like....

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Jon. I'm under orders to sell my synthetic hyperlamina (well, most of my bag collection but I'm resisting). In yellow. Hardly used. 0 degree rated. Let me know if you want a link and/or a price
redefined_cycles

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Do you mean a central zip?
It’s a very common feature for military bags. I know brands like Norrona and Snugpak do them but they are on the overbuilt side of the equation and not necessarily what folk want for bikepacking.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sierra Designs do a few bags with a diagonal opening across the front.

They also do the Backcountry Bed which a friend recommends. Looks a bit weird but I can see how it would work.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm Hi Jon. I'm under orders to sell my synthetic hyperlamina (well, most of my bag collection but I'm resisting). In yellow. Hardly used. 0 degree rated. Let me know if you want a link and/or a price
I'm in a tight budget, so although the Sierra Designs one looks the business it's way, way out my price range.

Shafiq, I'm interested and I've messaged you about yours.
Last edited by JohnClimber on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Patagonia do some. But they are not cheap.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nearly all the Golite bags were like that John. You might find a SH one out there but they don't turn up often and they're also usually down. Lightwave bags also have a zip which is on top although (a) it's offset to the side (b) they're down (c) expensive and (d) that's no use to you whatsoever is it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Jon... regards the Sierra design if you can find one is really good. Especially with the foot end opening. Just make sure you go for the warmer version with more down in it. I'm sure Stu will find you a super cheap link shortly (as he always manages to find some right bargains). That doesn't mean I'm trying to put you off buying my MH and it's still available to ya (I sold the SD and kept the MH but that was only cos this was synthetic but the foot end opening was/is amazing)...
psling

Post by psling »

I often fancy one of these (not so keen on the price tag though!):

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/zeta-1-synt ... eeping-bag
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Interested to see this come up and in why Sam went for this style of zip and why John is interested!

About 200 years ago when I made the transition from a rectangular sleeping bag to a "mummy" bag I really struggled to get on with it and felt restricted in it and managed to get it tied in knots at least 3 times a night. I'm a side sleeper and was told "you don't turn over IN a mummy bag you turn over WITH the bag. OK that worked great until you turned onto the zip side and then it was bloody uncomfortable.
Zip down the middle on top makes much more sense in this respect and would also work better on those occasional warm nights when you'd like to unzip a bit. Try doing that when you're lying on the zip!

As most bags were made with a side zip I have always assumed it was me failing to get to grips with the equipment rather than an issue with the equipment and just got on with it as best I can. Have I got it wrong and if so what is the right way to do it?

Also...bags come in left and right hand zips so they can be zipped together to make a double bag for you and your partner. Did this years ago when I had a partner that was into camping and hiking, again with a rectangular bag. Can't see how it would work with a "mummy" style bag though?? Anyone tried this and how did it work out? Asking for a friend!! :???:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"you don't turn over IN a mummy bag you turn over WITH the bag.
Something of a flaw in that theory as a lot of bags feature a differential fill, so have more down on top than on the bottom ... which tends to result in a cold back.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AndreR - thats why I got a quilt, far more comfortable for sleeping on your side and no more cold back(side)
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:19 pm
"you don't turn over IN a mummy bag you turn over WITH the bag.
Something of a flaw in that theory as a lot of bags feature a differential fill, so have more down on top than on the bottom ... which tends to result in a cold back.
Agreed but if I turn in the bag in cold weather when the hood's up and only my mouth and nose are sticking out and I'm on my side I often end up breathing into the bag which causes condensation around my face. I generally don't use the hood and wear a beanie in cold weather to help prevent this.

I have to say I'm "quilt curious" but haven't tried one yet. Another complication is I'm allergic to down and feathers so stuck with a synthetic and suspect there will be few takers for a second hand synthetic quilt if I don't get on with it!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have to say I'm "quilt curious" but haven't tried one yet. Another complication is I'm allergic to down and feathers so stuck with a synthetic and suspect there will be few takers for a second hand synthetic quilt if I don't get on with it!
If it's insulated with Climashield 'Apex' you might be surprised.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... ssic-quilt

Synthetic one and UK based - just got one for Xmas but as its the 5 degree rated ad not done a bivvy yet it remin unused
Will feedback when i have but also side sleeper and non down user.

Seems well made and apex is far loftier than of the other synthetic stuff i have including stuff that is warmer -Packs in to the same stuff sack for the lammina being discussed on here. Hopefully it works as I find all sleeping bags to be massive and voluminous on me* so have lots of cold air within them.
If you are North west engand based happy to let you have a look at it

* I think you could get two of me in a couple I own.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:24 pm https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... ssic-quilt

Synthetic one and UK based - just got one for Xmas but as its the 5 degree rated ad not done a bivvy yet it remin unused
Will feedback when i have but also side sleeper and non down user.

Seems well made and apex is far loftier than of the other synthetic stuff i have including stuff that is warmer -Packs in to the same stuff sack for the lammina being discussed on here. Hopefully it works as I find all sleeping bags to be massive and voluminous on me* so have lots of cold air within them.
If you are North west engand based happy to let you have a look at it

* I think you could get two of me in a couple I own.
Thanks for that link sir, thanks for the offer of a looksee I'm based in NE Hertfordshire sadly so not close! Look forward to hearing how you get on with yours.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Problem solved I'm buying Shafiq's Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Spark sleeping bag.

This may mean that I'll have my Cumulus 450 quilt up for sale in a couple of months time after a test bivi or two. :-bd
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:59 pm Problem solved I'm buying Shafiq's Mountain Hardwear Hyperlamina Spark sleeping bag.

This may mean that I'll have my Cumulus 450 quilt up for sale in a couple of months time after a test bivi or two. :-bd
Jon... for them small black marks I will drop you a fiver off aswell... Sorry a bout that... :-bd (well, £8 off)
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:59 pm

Could well be tempted John..
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:48 am Jon... for them small black marks I will drop you a fiver off aswell... Sorry a bout that... :-bd (well, £8 off)
That's really good of you, I'll pop the extra in the next mountain rescue tin that I see.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Teetosugars wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:04 pm
Could well be tempted John..
It's pencilled in for you Nick, I'll give you a shout in a couple of months :-bd

I'll drop you a message
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:59 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:48 am Jon... for them small black marks I will drop you a fiver off aswell... Sorry a bout that... :-bd (well, £8 off)
That's really good of you, I'll pop the extra in the next mountain rescue tin that I see.
Good lad :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest john, what is it that's drawn you to a bag away from a quilt?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 am Out of interest john, what is it that's drawn you to a bag away from a quilt?
As a side sleeper who twists and turns in the night, the cold bum is the problem to me at times.
This bag is an experiment to see how it works (Sam talks highly of it) and will be used with my 250 quilt as an over quilt in colder weathers, maybe the 450 if it's not as warm as I hope