Fat Fighters '22 - (The year of victory edition!)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Fat Fighters '22 - (The year of victory edition!)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know I put more on my plate than I should, I was thinking slightly smaller portions and less alcohol with less snacking on stuff in the evening.
Reducing your carb intake should make a real difference. Don't avoid them altogether as that can be quite a painful struggle* but lose the beer, wine, bread, crisps, biscuits etc. For me, it's not simply about calories but what food types they come from.

*when I experimented with this, I lost 9lb in a week.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

First day back at work today. I was all set up to use my turbo trainer when I got in (even laid my bike clothes on the bed this morning) and I’ve got home knackered with a wheezy cough…. So fat burning training will have to start tomorrow…..
Boab

Post by Boab »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:29 pm ... I’ve got home knackered ...
That's the primary reason why I try and do all of my exercise before work...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:12 pm
I know I put more on my plate than I should, I was thinking slightly smaller portions and less alcohol with less snacking on stuff in the evening.
Reducing your carb intake should make a real difference. Don't avoid them altogether as that can be quite a painful struggle* but lose the beer, wine, bread, crisps, biscuits etc. For me, it's not simply about calories but what food types they come from.

I agree. Loose the empty calories and rather than counting calories, count quality.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I listened to the R4 program "The life scientific" when it had the guy who does the Zoe app. One of his diet business/ scientific twins studies observations is people with lower body fat eat 30+ different types of non meat foods a week. He does a breakfast mix with live yogurt to get an easy 10-15
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

gairym wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:25 pm Sorry, I've not got a time machine capable of travelling back to when that archaic system made sense (it never made sense).

Totally cool if folks want to do theirs in old money but I certainly don't gots time to convert everything from imperial into meaningful / modern numbers :lol:

(Note on tone: I'm being flippantly provocative in order to have fun - not really having a go. I will, however only be using the metric system)
Gairy... what should I put the weights down in pls... kg or lb?? Do I need to add my target weight each time or just the once pls? Thanks so much and can't weight to see the plot :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:12 pm *when I experimented with this, I lost 9lb in a week.
Just a note on this, the instant weight loss from carb restriction can seem properly impressive, but it's not sustained.

This explains it better than I can: https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2636 ... er-weight/

Over a long enough time period there's very little difference in results between the different macro makeup diets, the key is that whatever diet you pick you can stick to. For some that's low carb high fat, for others balanced, etc etc. As you stated though, generally the best best is eating as little processed crap as possible.

I appreciate some may know this already, but it's worth reiterating, as some get into weeks 3, 4, 5 etc and start panicking because they've stopped losing meaningful amounts of weight.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Unrelated, first (post break) training session was a disaster, heart rate still through the roof (set a new 20 minute record) despite it being a trivially easy power output.

I guess it's in the hands of the medical community now. :cry:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Forgot to log my starting weight.

31/12/21 - 87kg
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

the instant weight loss from carb restriction can seem properly impressive, but it's not sustained.
Absolutely Rich. In my case it was an experiment but not something I could easily live with longterm and as you say, the initial results do wain.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:30 amGairy... what should I put the weights down in pls... kg or lb?? Do I need to add my target weight each time or just the once pls? Thanks so much and can't weight to see the plot :-bd
If you want me to collate your numbers and add you to the ongoing chart then I'll need the weights in kgs but by all means put both of imperial floats your boat etc...

And as for the target weight etc... in past years we've copied/pasted the previous week's weigh-ins and the target weight for each new entry so that all the numbers are readily available to view and analyse.

Up to you...
Loki

Post by Loki »

Morning all, back into work today, but not taking things seriously until Monday, still too much x-mas cake left lol, my main goal is 125kg for this year, and to ride the Devon Coast to Coast in 1-2 days anything more is a bonus.

05/01/22 - 145.4kg
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Loki wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 am Morning all, back into work today, but not taking things seriously until Monday, still too much x-mas cake left lol
Having much the same issue here. Still a bunch of mince pies, cheese, xmas cake etc.

Thankfully not drinking this week has helped stabilise the weight in spite of that, but yeah... going to be a while before I actually make progress.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:12 pm

This is exactly what I'm doing. Reducing, but not eliminating altogether.
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Thanks for starting this new, shiny edition of the thread! Somehow it feels positive to move on from the previous one.

Aiming for 81kg - lost track over Christmas but setting that behind me and starting again now with real determination.

03/01/22 95.5kg
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm in....mostly because I can't bring myself to get new cycle clothing. Big rides planned, hopefully, the build up to said rides will help me on my way. I've not yet weighed myself, but I got a new montane jacket. XL too big, L is snug....wonder if I should keep it as some sort of motivation to sort my sub standard out.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

riderdown wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:34 pm I listened to the R4 program "The life scientific" when it had the guy who does the Zoe app. One of his diet business/ scientific twins studies observations is people with lower body fat eat 30+ different types of non meat foods a week. He does a breakfast mix with live yogurt to get an easy 10-15
link to life scientific
he was also on the BBC R4 Frontiers program, repeated last Feb, maybe still available.
see thread from last year, See my post last

if you eat -non home made made, think 'processed' stuff it's mainly substandard...and you'll pass low grade crap.

... and then again, my grandfather in-law* (is that a thing?). He lived to 70+ on a poor diet, just spuds & no veg with canned meatballs. X_X

or * my wife maternal grandfather... ..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Aye, after a few weeks (well, months) of stress at work and home and taking my eye off the ball nutrition-wise, I'm up 5kg to 85.4kg in Week 1 of January.

80kg is a good weight for me (5'11" and do weightlifting) but 77kg would be betterer. Time to get the fitness watch back on and tracking things in MyFitnessPal!
Am also cutting out the booze for January which should assist.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

After losing 6kg in the first lockdown, by working on the garden, I've put it all back on plus some more in subsequent lock-downs, and working from home means I'm no longer riding most days, but i've still been eating as if i am! and am the heaviest I ever have been. time to eat better-er and get more active.

As an exeriment Mrs Dr Nick and I cut out bread and pasta and other carbs for a month, in the autumn. Not only did weight benefit but we both felt much more 'level' in terms terms of energy - the peaks and troughs were absent (after a week of feeling awful), but then we didn't have a kitchen due to building work so heatlhy eating suffered - so I think we might get back on that wagon if for no other reason than to feel better.

target wieght 72kg

03/01/22 84kg
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Excellent progress!
Yesterday I was 85.4kg, this morning I was 83.1kg!
My 45 minute walk round the loch yesterday must have been tougher than I remembered.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

01.01.22 - 86.7kg
07.01.22 - 85.5kg

Good start as expected from me. Always able to loose weight well with an initial change in diet.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ootini

Post by ootini »

Gairy, is there any particular day of the week that we should submit weights, or does it not matter for the charts etc ?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Historically Fridays but whenever you can manage if not.
Mrs Burty

Post by Mrs Burty »

Week one 81.9 kg
Week two 81.0 kg slow and steady lol
gairym

Post by gairym »

Oh.

(25-12-21 - 125.1kg)
01-01-22 - 121.2kg
07-01-22 - 122.2kg

Target = 95kg (eventually)

I seem to have gained a kg. Not surprising as I think the 4kg loss in a week was from not being well etc...

Very, very happy with my no booze status (not missing, not thinking about, not tempted etc... feeling quite smug).

I do however need to get a handle on my snacking. Meals are great and healthy but grabbing quick snacks is where I'm consuming the big/excess calories right now.

And this bloody winter malarky isn't helping me get out on the bike (back not up to skiing or boarding), was -10°c yesterday 💩