OS Mapping now on cycle.travel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

javatime

OS Mapping now on cycle.travel

Post by javatime »

This maybe of interest

https://cycle.travel/news/cycle_travel_ ... urvey_maps

I believe that cycle.travel uses a more sophisticated algorithm than Google maps etc to identify quiet roads.

Maybe not as useful for off-road routing, but my go-to for getting between two places on tarmac.
Dave Barter

Re: OS Mapping now on cycle.travel

Post by Dave Barter »

I really like their site and use it quite a lot. It's a shame that you have to pay when I already have an OS subscription.

I tend to create routes in their site and export to OS for editing
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like the site too. When I CBA, I simply give it a start / finish point, load whatever it gives me and blindly follow it from A to B ... tends to work quite well.
May the bridges you burn light your way
javatime

Post by javatime »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:46 am I really like their site and use it quite a lot. It's a shame that you have to pay when I already have an OS subscription.

I tend to create routes in their site and export to OS for editing
I don't want to put anyone off, I am sure it is free.

If you register (for free) you get some extra features.

Ready to be corrected by Mr B.

...and whilst we are mapping a big thank you to Dave for his UK Backpacking map from a few years ago with POI that still works well on me Garmin
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Because OS charge for access to their maps, we can’t offer this free to all-comers – so it’s a cycle.travel supporter benefit. Sign up as a supporter (for just £2 a month) and you’ll get access to the OS maps. Just choose them in the map switcher in the top right-hand corner:
You have to pay £2 for the OS layer.

I will be updating the Bikepacking maps next year as the routes are getting out of date and I have a load of new data for cafes/spars etc...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
javatime

Post by javatime »

I stand corrected Dave - got euphoric at the headline and hadn't read it all...

Looking forward to UKBPMap update !

Thank you
JackT

Post by JackT »

I'm a big fan of cycle.travel and Richard Fairhurst who makes it. It's a one-man-band operation. I talked with Richard at some length in this episode of The Bike Show podcast:

https://thebikeshow.net/planning-your-n ... adventure/
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thats a pretty good site that. Did a few tests to compare against my own route knowledge and it came pretty close to agreeing with me which is good for an algorithm. Even seems to be able to include off road stuff that is known to be good going.
due

Post by due »

JackT wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:48 pm I'm a big fan of cycle.travel and Richard Fairhurst who makes it. It's a one-man-band operation. I talked with Richard at some length in this episode of The Bike Show podcast:

https://thebikeshow.net/planning-your-n ... adventure/
Indeed, I consider it a £2 donation to a project well worth supporting with extra mapping as a bonus (it also now has French and Spanish IGN maps).

I believe he is working on an app too which should be ace for touring - I happily follow the routes with only a brief sanity check.