National Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

National Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells

Post by Verena »

How come I have driven and walked past this countless times over the years, but never really registered it, let alone gone inside? It's brilliant! Just a flying visit to the foyer today, but I'll go back there properly, definitely. Didn't have time today, just a half hour lunch break on my first aid course...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/130146078@N08/TQ9DYU
Dave Barter

Re: National Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells

Post by Dave Barter »

It’s great. I’m a life member paying by direct debit to support the museum. They helped me so much when I wrote The Year
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I had no idea that was there.
Used to make periodical visits, a long time ago, as my father-in-law used to work in a hotel, there.

As an aside, for those of you who never go to central Wales. If you happen to find yourself in the Midlands, the Museum of British Road Transport, in Coventry, has a comprehensive cycle section. It's worth a visit, in general, though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a great place and a few hours in there always leads me back to the belief that's there's nothing new :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Must visit - have been to Llandrindod a couple of times but not with time to stop long. Went to Coventry Transport Museum a couple of times while I was a student there.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

jameso wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:33 pm Must visit - have been to Llandrindod a couple of times but not with time to stop long. Went to Coventry Transport Museum a couple of times while I was a student there.
if I'm that way I must call in...
IIRC, the Nation Motorcycle museum, nr NEC, Birmingham) as has a few interesting 2 wheeled vehicles without engines :-bd or pushirons. it may be of interest to the piston heads aswell :grin:
I remember distinctly saying everything touted as miraculous & new (like disk brakes and suspension) in the early 90's & 00's had already been done 100 years before. they are now a possibly bit more reliable and lighter, and now cheaper...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
jameso

Post by jameso »

ledburner wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:44 pm
jameso wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:33 pm Must visit - have been to Llandrindod a couple of times but not with time to stop long. Went to Coventry Transport Museum a couple of times while I was a student there.
if I'm that way I must call in...
IIRC, the Nation Motorcycle museum, nr NEC, Birmingham) as has a few interesting 2 wheeled vehicles without engines :-bd or pushirons. it may be of interest to the piston heads aswell :grin:
I remember distinctly saying everything touted as miraculous & new (like disk brakes and suspension) in the early 90's & 00's had already been done 100 years before. they are now a possibly bit more reliable and lighter, and now cheaper...
It has, in some format. eg Trek / DW's Split Pivot - patent granted to Hugo Becker, 1895 I think. Motorbike suspension design using a concentric axle pivot.
javatime

Post by javatime »

My Golden Sunbeam - estimated from the frame number to have been built in 1916 has a number of "modern" features :

1. Asymmetrically drilled aluminium rims
2. Two speeds via an epicyclic gearbox on the front chain ring
3. Totally enclosed chain case that is part of the rear chainstay. Seems to work because the strange chain in there must be the original and is 105 years old
4. Bolt through rear wheel with a big spacer so you can get the inner tube out for repair without removing the rear wheel still
5. Puncture repair outfit hidden inside the handlebar grip

Unfortunately it is huge frame, so a bit precarious for me to ride regularly on the road.