Moving to Angus, any bears there?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Moving to Angus, any bears there?

Post by Moder-dye »

Hi, we're moving to near Friockheim next weekend down from Shetland.

Is there anyone in the area, and who might fancy meeting up sometime in the New Year for a spin or camp? I'm no speed demon or rad shredder, but be good to get out with someone for something.

:-bd
Moder-dye

Re: Moving to Angus, any bears there?

Post by Moder-dye »

Still wondering, still slow and enjoying long bumbles with cafes and the like 🤣 No one?

I've tried the local road clubs, but they're just not my thing, though I'm happy with riding roads in themselves, as are my wrists.

Done pretty well on my veloviewer coverage of Angus over the year since moving here though, sneaked into Fife a few times, and done both side of the Tay from Perth back to Arbroath and here :-bd

Done some camping, but no actual bike packing. With wrist, knee and general issues an overnighter is plenty, so I should crack on with BAM for 2023 solo or not eh!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

We were planning a foray into the Cairngorms from the Angus glens this weekend (see the Scottish Winter Bivvy thread for the back story) but it didn't go to plan, so there might be something similar on the cards for the new year which you'd be very welcome to join.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers, yeh I saw that thread. I'll keep an eye out for anything happening.

I've had plans to go over that route to Muick or over to Aboyne from Tarfside but health not been really up to it this year.. Hoping for better next year....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye a further SWB attempt is defo on the cards for January or February so watch this space. Mebbes try somewhere a bit more accessible - Shieling of Mark? :lol:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:lol: I had actually been wondering the best route to the Shielding if Mark Bothy :lol:

It's not so obvious on OS or aerials. I nearly blew a gasket going up all the way up Glen Lee last spring so stopped short of the saddle that was covered in snow. The track up was like riding through treacle, but coming back down was a blast and made me realise why I was so buggered.

And I can't see any route right up the circuitous route of Glen Mark, I've only been a little ways further than the Queens Well . I'm obviously missing something, or not! Is there one? :lol:
Dean

Post by Dean »

Moder-dye wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:48 pm :lol: I had actually been wondering the best route to the Shielding if Mark Bothy :lol:

It's not so obvious on OS or aerials. I nearly blew a gasket going up all the way up Glen Lee last spring so stopped short of the saddle that was covered in snow. The track up was like riding through treacle, but coming back down was a blast and made me realise why I was so buggered.

And I can't see any route right up the circuitous route of Glen Mark, I've only been a little ways further than the Queens Well . I'm obviously missing something, or not! Is there one? :lol:
I once walked up one of the LR tracks on the south side of Glen Muick, cannot remember which one; they were steep loose-rocked push territory. Make sure you bring your best peat hag tyres for the plateau. :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've never done it but I'm told it's a tussock hop par excellence. I keep thinking it might worth trying if we get perfect consolidated snow on the hills in Feb or March....
Johnny Gordons bothy up past Loch Lee might bed a good option
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Could you give a GR or something for Johnny Gordon's bothy please?

I've been up past Loch Lee a few times to the Falls of Unich and Damff as well as the track up Glen Lee, but not aware of this bothy.

Edit: found it now on the track up Glen Lee I rode, I think I remember passing it set back and up in the woods. Is it open to the public then?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

NO 392817
Not been there but it's in 'bothies huts and howffs' by James Carron and looks good.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers, that's where I thought.

From a 10 year old blog post I found....

long last I make it to the tiny Lee bothy or Johnny Gordon's bothy (don't ask who he was) and open the Victorian aged door to peer inside. The smell of earthen floor and wood smoke melts into your senses like a good Islay malt whisky would tingle the skin on a cold day. Darkness pervades and you have to slowly fumble around until your eyes see through the sooty-brown deepness. Then you begin to feel warm, at home even, and the love that is there begins to show itself like a spirit conjured up during a seance. Logs and branches left for a fire to set if you want, a lighter to start it and some news-paper, a fork and knife, a frying pan, some tins of food and a stove and candles and a saw. Somebody loves this place and I wonder who? Share in its love that's all it seems to ask. Dare you set fire to that black, sooty hearth with its lintel of granite; then will you find that love and keep it.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I see a report that 'The Stables of Lee' futher up the track is nicer inside, and was open when the guy visited, said he'd rather stay there.

Maybe I can manage a recce of them both before too long and report back.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Not Angus myself but Argyll area but definitely up for a few days around Angus way next year if you’re up for it. Got friends in Blairgowrie. Definitely not fast and ride bikes for fun.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Cheers Keith, drop me a pm if you're coming over :-bd
AbzSouthish

Post by AbzSouthish »

Just up the road a bit (North of Stonehaven)

Looking to get a few trips sorted for next year (sociable rather than speedy)
Not much Bikepacking experience Bikepacking but having bought all the gear need to start using it
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've got plenty of gear as I've done plenty of camping and some 3/4 day bike packing trips in the past, just not used it for some time due to health.

Be good to get some meet ups in the new year, particularly when the weather improves :grin: