So what now?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jblewi

So what now?

Post by Jblewi »

This years welsh ride thing was my first bike packing event, and it was an vaguely exciting weekend!

So what's next? Can anyone recommend any other similar events? I might regret saying this but anything with maybe a bit more of a competitive element?
Taylor

Re: So what now?

Post by Taylor »

BB200?
Jblewi

Post by Jblewi »

What kind of terrain does that involve? I got the impression that's it was mostly road?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bit of road, bit of off road.

Bloody long way!
Mike

Post by Mike »

bloody hard route too id say!!
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Put the wrt in to a day and you won't be far off. I think you might be happy for a bit of road. :lol:
Jblewi

Post by Jblewi »

Ill give it some thought and get some long days in to see how I cope.
Any suggestions for something involving a bit less mileage would be still welcome.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Transcambrian if you like the general area?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Most 'bikepacking events' are really going to be competetive, eg BB200, Highland Trail Race, Cairngorms Loop, EWE, etc. The only things I can think off that are non competetive are the WRT and Mach 'n' back/Elan Back/Something else next January. I suppose that bikepacking doesn't really lend itself to events outside of a competetive nature/format.

Hopefully there'll be something happening on the wekend of Sep 28th/29th in the Peak District and although not really an event, there'll be the BB Summer Camp on the weekend of July 20th/21st.

I'd suggest that you just get a map out and plan your own adventure. It might be a week long trip across the country or a 2 hour ride from your front door ... it doesn't matter, it's all good. Maybe join in with 'Bivvy a month' if you need something to keep you motivated.
What kind of terrain does that involve? I got the impression that's it was mostly road?
Everything really - forest roads, quiet tarmac stretches, technical singletrack, moorland bogs, river crossings and a mountain to fight your way over ;) It's a tough ride but it's not elitest in anyway, well I certainly hope it isn't.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blowing my own trumpet here but check out 2013 Solstice 150 Lightweight Raid in "anyone playing out". The finalised details are on page one about half way down and starts "ok guy's, this is the final format with grid references". A gps download of the route is second from the bottom on page one as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Blowing my own trumpet here but check out 2013 Solstice 150 Lightweight Raid in "anyone playing out". The finalised details are on page one about half way down and starts "ok guy's, this is the final format with grid references". A gps download of the route is second from the bottom on page one as well.
Exactly the sort of thing I mean ^^^ when I said about having/planning your own trips and adventures.
May the bridges you burn light your way