Garmin Charge, can it be used for other devices?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Garmin Charge, can it be used for other devices?

Post by pistonbroke »

During my search for a reliable,long lasting device to maintain charge for GPS, phone and joystick, I've noticed that the Garmin Charge has a usb output which they say is for use via cable to power GPS models that don't have the 5 pins on the back. I was wondering whether this output could power my phone or joystick as well as the Edge 530? I'd keep it charged from my hub dynamo so theoretically it'd not run out of juice as long as I kept riding. I seem to recall Big Dummy Steve having a dynamo-charge-gps setup but don't know whether he charged a phone or light as well. I also recall that in time honoured fashion, the micro usb port broke after a soaking. Thankfully riding in the wet is rare here. Anyone else tried it?
lune ranger

Re: Garmin Charge, can it be used for other devices?

Post by lune ranger »

There is a USB-A input and USB- micro output. Output is standard USB protocol so will charge any other USB devices you wish.
I use my SON hub to charge the Garmin power pack via an Igaro D2. I stopped short of doing what Steve did and permanently attaching the input wire with sugru and just attach as needed. This works fine. I’ve only used the whole system in anger over 5 days but was happy with the results. The power pack stayed near enough full and gave enough juice for the 530 and an old iPhone that needs to be topped up a few times a day.
Interestingly Igaro recommend silicone sealant like you use around sinks etc to permanently attach wires to their units but say using sugru invalidates the warranty so that maybe the way to go if you want permanently attached waterproof connections.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That sounds fine, I currently use a Portapow 10,000mAh power bank which supports pass through charging but the weak link is the micro usb port on my Garmin Explore. It's now got an intermittent fault so I can't rely on it on rough ground although it will charge if I nurse it. My new Edge 530 arrives next week and once I've got it, I'll order a remote control and charge, both of which are being discounted on local site Bikeinn atm. I might try creating a non-stressed connection of the micro lead but looking at diagrams of the unit, it seems the port is in a difficult position, normal Garmin trick. :sad:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm I might try creating a non-stressed connection of the micro lead but looking at diagrams of the unit, it seems the port is in a difficult position, normal Garmin trick. :sad:
Yep. On both the 530 and the charge pack.
My Igaro D2 has a USB-C output which I’ve siliconed a USB- male to USB-A female adapter into. It’s acting as a sacrificial port - any USB port has a finite number of connections it can make before in cross out. In this case when the the adapter wears out or gets corroded I can replace it with minimal fuss.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC