Am I gonna die (Winter BAM related)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Am I gonna die (Winter BAM related)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just trying to think this through out loud. So anyone that has any constructive comments (most people on here) can make em. It's in relation to my final BAM and probably the coldest one with the most exertion on my part.

I plan to make a trip to London via a route that I've attempted about 4 or 5 times now. Each time non-winter and each time I failed to complete (different from just, 'failed') the full length. So as any smart cyclist would do I'm gonna attempt it in winter but this time for solidarity with Dr Aafia Siddiqui and the human rights of those constantly tortured in Guantanamo as well as other secret/black sites across the world. By launching a campaign called 'Give What you Love Project' to keep funding the fights for justice (if you must know).

Sorry for such a lengthy intro... I plan to make the route part of my final BAM and hopefully become eligible for a badge. Reason for wondering about the stupidity of it all is that I'll be knackered and wondering about my tent or bivy arrangements. Prayers I have sorted which I will plan by going past a masjid or 2 for the ones that I find hardest with ablution worries in the cold. But taking a bivy or a tent is really getting me thinking...

Bivy - I have the goretext army issue available - and I risk being too cold as well as it weighing 1kg and being extra bulky. But it's simple to lay out and easy to pack away. Or I could use the Trekkertent (which is what i bought it for) with its fabric inner. Only problem here is that I won't be taking a mallet to drive the stakes into the ground. Plus it'll be so so cold that pushing em in has it's own problems.

Dunno... Maybe I'm just being soft and maybe I'm not even sure what I'm asking... Itinerary is to follow the route past Derby and at around 85 miles fork off to Liecester. Eat, meet mates and pray there and then continue towards thw route and find a bivg spot. Wake up in time before dawn prayers and get to the masjid to make ablution (so I'm not killing myself with ablution with cold water - which I don't think is allowed if it's gonna cause death) amd pray morning prayers... Then continue the 120ish miles to London...

Thoughts or whatever :grin:
ScotRoutes

Re: Am I gonna die (Winter BAM related)

Post by ScotRoutes »

First of all, I doubt you'll have issues getting pegs into the ground. It's much, much colder up here and I rarely have any issues. That might make the Stealth a bit more attractive.

However, overall, I just think you're making too much of the BAM. If you really want that 12 month completion and the badge then why encumber yourself with all the rest of it? Just head out somewhere you know, or you've previously fancied, or anywhere that makes it less of a chore. Sorry, but I don't believe in the whole "type 2 fun" thing and I don't think that everything has to be a mega challenge. Fun is fun. Have a nice night out and enjoy it for what it is. You're only bivvying out for the night, you have loads of nice kit and, unless things go drastically wrong, you're not on some life-or-death mission.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I picked out what I believe are crucial issues;
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:53 am [...] and probably the coldest one with the most exertion on my part.[...]
Then make sure to stay warm and pace yourself accordingly.
I was coldest during trips where it always was far from the coldest temps I experienced. Don't talk yourself into how exerted you'll be. Talk yourself into "it'll be alright", "I have all the experience and know what to do to stay warm and comfy" etc. All of them are true, aren't they?
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:53 am [...]each time I failed to complete (different from just, 'failed') the full length. [...]
So this time, make it happen.
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:53 am [...]the stupidity of it all is that I'll be knackered and wondering about my tent or bivy arrangements. [...]
nothing stupid about it. Unless, perhaps, you're planning to ride naked or so. And again, think of your experience and skills, to stay comfy during and after the ride.
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:53 am [...]ablution worries in the cold. But taking a bivy or a tent is really getting me thinking...[...]
bring a tent. Given how you regard your plan, give yourself a dry place out of the wind to enjoy a good tea etc.
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:53 am [...]Dunno... Maybe I'm just being soft and maybe I'm not even sure what I'm asking...[...]
Before trips that require some commitment I'm almost always afraid. But then this mostly fades away the more I got my head around it, the more I planned and done my homework (route details, options etc.). Some things remain scary, because they hold an inherent danger, no matter how I look at them.
Perhaps your being soft is simply fear. Fear of even trying and failing and probably some in between. Use those fear, eg. of cold hands and make it an issue to work on. Figure a solution to solve this fear. Go through each and every fear that bothers you. Do your homework. Fear you'll be knackered? I'm sure you know what must be done to lower the risk of being (really) knackered. Find a quiet place within - your beliefs and prayers perhaps - and take motivation from there to push through this "I'm really knackered, I'll quit". Think about how you really want to finish it off this time.
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:53 am [...](so I'm not killing myself with ablution with cold water - which I don't think is allowed if it's gonna cause death) [...]
Could be quite revitalising...

Good speed Shaf
You've got this
redefined_cycles

Thanks Gian and Colin... that's acrually really really helpful. Colin, the alternate to not doing the BAM on my trip to London is to sleep somewhere in a YHA or Premier Inn (which I suppose I could have as plan b). Type2 fun... I'm not sure I do view these as type 2 as it's quite enjoyable using what I know from the years as well as whats been learrnt on here.

Yes, I definitely think the Trekkertent is the way forward to give myself good recuperation and to actually use the sleeping bag I invested in for winter dutiea. Gian, yes I do believe I have enough knowledge/exp to get through this enjoyably. The most enjoyable part being when the sun comes up :-bd

Watch this space..
redefined_cycles

NB. To bw honest, not too fusswd about thw badge. I'm over badges :grin:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Badges we don't need no stinking badges :lol:

But if you do, just do a manageable final BAM to get your badge.

If you want to do your route you've tried before just do as others have said and work through each potential issue and mitigate as best you can.

Personally I'd be taking the tent,or, shock horror, if its the route and meet ups/spiritual commitments that are the important bit of that, route via a hotel/b&b :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very unlikely.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Separating the BaM into a different 'project' seems the best advice from above. No point complicating things. Focus on one then the other. Enjoy one then the other. All the other worries you have faced and addressed before, so you have the same skills and experience this time.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:34 am Very unlikely.
Well, that does answer the question and I tend to believe it a true answer :-bd :wink:

Along the lines of what Alpinium (Gian) says, mental fortitude will carry you through. You're doing it by choice in a controlled manner. Hundreds, thousands, millions even, are out there every night through circumstance; not just in this country but around the world as you very much understand and empathise with Shaf :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Moder-dye wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:12 am Badges we don't need no stinking badges :lol:
I do! :-O

A) Bear in mind it could be 10 degrees
B) Go warm - dress conservatively but have a bit of spare capacity if you need to take stuff off.
C) Scope out your spot before hand, or use one you've used already, so you remove the hassle of trying to find somewhere when its dark, raining, cold, etc.
D) Give the BAM as part of the long distance ride a whirl but if it goes pear shaped get into digs as you've said. Then you can bag a local one to get your badge (badges are important)
E) Remove potential sources of excuses to cop out - take your tent.
:-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:26 am
Moder-dye wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:12 am Badges we don't need no stinking badges :lol:
A Blazing Saddles quote just in case there was tumble weed rolling past. I'm not mocking anyone wanting their badges as a mark of honour :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Moder-dye wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:48 am
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:26 am
A Blazing Saddles quote just in case there was tumble weed rolling past. I'm not mocking anyone wanting their badges as a mark of honour :-bd
Ha - I was trying to remember where that quote came from!
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 am Separating the BaM into a different 'project' seems the best advice from above. No point complicating things.
Good point Reg. But I like to think of my BAM attempt (and moving toeards it being full time) a 'Working Mans BAM'. One of em was for the BB200, another as part of the Uigher Demonstration, one was after work enroute home etc etc etc...

In fact, there's an idea of another thread :grin:
redefined_cycles

Thanks btw for everyone on all the advice and encourgaement... All grwatly appreciated and taken aboard...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ah... yeah, the answer to the main question.

Comes to mind;
If it's a ride on roads with traffic, getting hit is probably the most likely cause of death.

Check your lights and reflectors.

And most of all have fun and enjoy.
It's what you make of it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:01 pm
roads ....lights and reflectors
indeed. Plus road/lane position, eye contact, smile, wave a pre-emptive thanks, etc etc. Make them see you as a human being not as a bike :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster