Centre lock rotor standards?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Centre lock rotor standards?

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve just acquired my first set of wheels that take centre lock rotors as opposed to 6 bolt.
I was browsing centre lock rotors online and they interface looks different on different brands. Shimano vs SRAM vs Campy ok different. Some Shimano ones look different from other Shimano ones as well. What’s the deal? I have Hunt All-road wheels to attach the rotors to.
Should I just get an centre lock to 6 bolt adapter to use my existing stock of rotors? Is there a disadvantage to that?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikephil

Re: Centre lock rotor standards?

Post by fatbikephil »

Pretty sure they are all the same. Shimano ones certainly are although there can be a bit of variety in the size of hammer required to get them on :grin:
I use adaptors on the stragg (also with Hunt wheels) as it was cheaper than buying new disks. The Shimano ones are better as the disk bolts to the adaptor as well as being held in place by the lockring. I've also got a cheap one which just has machined stubs that fit in the holes in the disk and its held on by the lockring. This looked a bit dodgy to me but I've failed to break it so far despite using a 180 disk
Boab

Post by Boab »

The main issue I've had with my Centre Lock hubs, has been finding a tool to do the lock rings up with. As I'm running a 15mm front thru-axle, there isn't enough space between the end caps and the Shimano lock rings that come with the rotors, so I couldn't fit a Shimano cassette lock ring tool. Also, my Topeak bottom bracket tool doesn't have enough depth to get over the end caps, when trying to fit the DT Swiss / Hunt style lock rings. I ended up getting a Park Tool Bottom Bracket Tool BBT-69.2, which fits perfectly, and I can now get my lock rings on and off and torqued up correctly.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I just had a closer look at some rotors and realised the interface is the same but some are pictured with the lock ring in place and others aren’t :oops:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:04 am I just had a closer look at some rotors and realised the interface is the same but some are pictured with the lock ring in place and others aren’t :oops:
Oh yeah, that's a thing and dead annoying, confused me a few times too. As far as I know though, the actual interface is the same on all rotors and hubs, just remember to take the plastic sleeves off the Hunt wheels, cause that confused me as well...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The pedros cassette ring tool is very very good as your go-to centrelock tool Luke. Yes, the srandard for centrelock hasn't changed (can't say about Campag though as they're always doing funny stuff for some reason)...
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

You may also have to use a different lock ring, depending on the clearance.on your forks (had issues with my road bike) as there are rings of different thicknesses and some have internal splines, for a traditional locking tool, whereas others have external splines, for use with a BB tool