cold weather leg wear ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

cold weather leg wear ?

Post by ton »

been using Keela roadrunners for year as my go to trousers for winter. i now need something warmer, but without going too bulky.
any idea's greatly appreciated.
benp1

Re: cold weather leg wear ?

Post by benp1 »

I wore leggings under my trousers in Lapland when I was cycling in the snow, was toasty. But another layer would be more faff for cycling, haven't seen any really warm trousers that are cycling specific. There are things like winter craghoppers (fleece lined) but don't know if there's any stretch in them
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've been really pleased with my Decathlon AM trousers and they now do a Winter version. Have you tried thermals under your Keelas?

Decathlon: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/st500-win ... 18&c=BLACK
RIP

Post by RIP »

No expert but I work on the idea that the time-honoured layering system for the upper body works just as well for the lower body. For December BaM for example I'll probably be wearing bamboo base layer, thermal/fleecy mid layer, and 3/4 shorts, plus Berghaus paclite trousers if raining (of which I get more than my fair share). No expert but not had to bail yet due to clothing deficiencies.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Pair of merino tights underneath?
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've no experience of these, as I tend to wear Roubaix tights under either shorts or overtrousers when it's very cold, but how about buffalo teclite trousers? I've ridden in the full weight trousers, and below about -5 they're great, so maybe the lighter ones would work for most UK winter weather?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A couple of winters back, I bought some "Santini" bike tights from Amazon. They've no pad, and the only reason I think they're listed as "bike" tights is that they have some reflective parts. Anyway, they are very warm, with a waffle-type fleecy inner. They have a close-fitting ankle and a waist cord for adjustment and a DWR coating. They are my go-to legwear when cruising on the fatbike but are really too warm for high-energy pedalling.

Mostly, I wear some warmer Endura tights, knee-length Sealskinz socks and waterproof shorts.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I have some DHB aeron rain defence bib tights.

Not worn them that often but when I have they're great, even been able to sit on wet frozen peat.banks waiting for my mate to find his vv tiles in hillside in comfort and see the sleet and hail rolling off.

They're quite a stiff 'heavy' fabric when you put them on, but for winter endurance cycling they're ace and comfy when riding, and have stopped cold burn on my thighs that I've got before just using Roubaix tights in bitter head winds.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Teetosugars wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:15 pm Pair of merino tights underneath?
I've done this under a pair of Keela's and works well. Either Merino tights or some bib longs.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I find the Endura winter tights/bibs really warm - something baggy over the top. I know you don't like lycra, but can be had without a pad. I think a skintight layers makes a big difference.