OT - phone hacking and strange behaviour

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

OT - phone hacking and strange behaviour

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bear with me as I don’t have all the info but here goes…

Sister in law has had her phone hacked, not sure how but it appears they took over her microphone and ‘mouse’ and cutting a smiling story short, they’ve managed to access her banking etc (although I don’t think they’ve actually got into her account). Apparently they’ve managed to get onto apps to get info from.

The police weren’t that helpful (I would have thought they would confiscate her phone to check it out but they didn’t). Her network kindly agreed to send her a brand new phone out FOC (didn’t realise they did this) and she put her old sim back in.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, she wakes up to find apps downloaded onto her phone that she hasn’t done herself.

She’s also getting some dodgy calls too which isn’t helping

Now, she should be getting a new sim to put into another phone to hopefully stop the cycle.

Question - can a sim really hold any data that a hacker would be able to access from one comprimised phone to a brand new clean one?

Also, moving forwards another brand new phone and a new sim should stop the cycle as well as changing all her passwords. Another other ideas too? Unfortunately it would appear she’s too trusting on downloading apps and I would imagine on the sites she uses too

I’m a bit confused with it all