Food to take bikepacking.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Diesel73

Food to take bikepacking.

Post by Diesel73 »

I'm just wondering what food (breakfast, tea, snacks) do people take with them when you go away for a few days?
woodsmith

Re: Food to take bikepacking.

Post by woodsmith »

Breakfast, 250g muesli or granola with milk. Usually try to pick up a half litre late in the day.
Partial to a Co-op meal deal for lunch.
Chocy digestives/hobnobs, shortbread, bananas, salted almonds for snacks.
Packet of spicy mexican par boiled rice with tin of spicy mackrel mixed in is my current go to.
Instant coffee with milk.
I try to eat about 4000 cal/day when bikepacking with daily mileage around 50 and max of about 6000ft of elevation gain.
Diesel73

Post by Diesel73 »

At the moment I been taking Porridge oats for breakfast cus cus with tin of tomato flavoured mackerels Roasted peanuts mars bars
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Cous Cous is easy, I usually chuck in a tin of sardines in oil (because the Cous Cous is low in fat). The rice pouches are OK as well, a third of a cup of water and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Muesli for breakfast, but if it's going to be cold and you don't mind the weight, a tin of beans and mini sausages goes down well.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I used to take whizzed up oats, with nuts, dried fruit and milk powder. Then in the morning I'd just whang some hot water in and let it steep for a bit before eating. I found it a bit of a faff to be honest and on the last few trips I've taken some granola and protein powder. For eating during the day, I carry a 150g of home made trail mix, a handful of various higher calorie trail bars and maybe some flapjack and gels. I'll stop at a coffee shop for coffee and cake, or at a Co-op or SPAR to grab something savoury.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I do the pooridge thing with dried milk, just simmer + hot water. tinned fish & cous cous cooks up quick, even with the dry couscous with veg 3 min mixes. Eg Lidl own...
lunch flapjacks, sliced cheese & wrapps. or cooked meat -a flat pack snack, carried well. marzipan instead of chocolate in cold weather.. fruit d nuts.
flap jack in a wrap, hold it self together and the wrap tapers the sugar rush. the coop used to do microwave ready cooked poached eggs..
Instant coffee & dried milk.
all plastic jiffy bags make brilliant pot/packet cossies.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Lots and lots and lots of Baby Bels
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I started doing research on this after a disgusting, and with hind sight hilarious, dried meal accident.
After reading this https://bikepacking.com/plog/bikepackin ... packing-1/
I decided to just carry very basic ready made stuff and forage for the rest.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
techno

Post by techno »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:40 am Lots and lots and lots of Baby Bels
Yes, or marmite cheddar. Plus dry cured meats. Pork pies. Salt and vinegar crisps. Flapjacks, fig rolls. Pub meal, cafe stop and more. I'm a greedy feck! :lol:
Museli with milk powder, porridge pots, jam and peanut butter wraps.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I skimmed that and read it as Baby Eels :grin: . Strangely I had an eye test reminder yesterday.

Best keep them well hidden in your pack - a bloke was fined bigly recently for lifting elvers from the Severn.....
Last edited by RIP on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Now that I've ascertained that we're talking about the cheesey product rather than the wriggly one, I expect Dave will remind us that his BB's (bikepacker's babybel breakfast: BBBer's BB B) can also double up as excellent firestarters (said conflagration fully contained within a suitable receptacle and carted out obviously).

Worth pointing out that they're best used as firestarters after consuming the contents.

Then again, maybe igniting them with the contents still in position might result in some sort of tasty bikepackers' fondue? You could even top the fondue with some elvers.

Reg 'Galloping Gourmet' Perrin
Last edited by RIP on Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:32 am
Then again, maybe igniting them with the contents still in position might result in some sort of tasty bikepackers' fondue? You could even top the fondue with some elvers.

Don't be a barbarian Reg, Simply take a mince pie to repurpose the foil case as your fondue pot and toothpick to jab into your crusty bread :-bd
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Sounds weird, but a wrap with dairylea and jam stays eatable for ages and goes down well. Don't knock it till you've tried it!

And as previously mentioned, they won't get a mention in 'sports science', but pork pies will keep you going for hours. :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

techno wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:50 am
RIP wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:32 am

Don't be a barbarian Reg, Simply take a mince pie to repurpose the foil case as your fondue pot and toothpick to jab into your crusty bread :-bd
baby bel cases make excellent ear plugs..
#-O eh, yeh wot?
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Cadburys Dairy milk..... lots of it!
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

One snack I have really come to appreciate is a big bag of dates. Fairly health big energy kick. Mixes nicely with salted cashews to get some salts into you too... Just don't eat too many dates in one day... You'll find out why if you do... :wink:
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Last trip I went on I had a chicken pie, Welsh cakes, licorice allsorts and proper coffee for breakfast. All bought the day before from Abergavenny and eaten in the valley beneath Pen-y-fan.
Best breakfast ever 😋
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Chrisps wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:44 pm One snack I have really come to appreciate is a big bag of dates. Fairly health big energy kick. Mixes nicely with salted cashews to get some salts into you too... Just don't eat too many dates in one day... You'll find out why if you do... :wink:
a form speed dating, making it a too regular event! .
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Precooked sausages, transport them in one of those tiny one egg frying pans with a little melted butter ( put it in the fridge to harden, it will say hard during cold weather) while the sausages are re-heating on your alcohol stove boil some water and use this to make up one packet of Idahoan instant mash.
Absolutely fantastic meal when sitting in a cold field, for the ultimate luxury add some instant onion gravy.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The true answer is...

Lots!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 am Precooked sausages, transport them in one of those tiny one egg frying pans with a little melted butter ( put it in the fridge to harden, it will say hard during cold weather) while the sausages are re-heating on your alcohol stove boil some water and use this to make up one packet of Idahoan instant mash.
This sounds ace, but how do you reheat the sausages and boil water at the same time?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearlegged wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:40 am
BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 am Precooked sausages, transport them in one of those tiny one egg frying pans with a little melted butter ( put it in the fridge to harden, it will say hard during cold weather) while the sausages are re-heating on your alcohol stove boil some water and use this to make up one packet of Idahoan instant mash.
This sounds ace, but how do you reheat the sausages and boil water at the same time?
Stick 'em under your armpits instead while the water's boiling on the stove?

Boil them in the water? (urk)

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 am Boil them in the water? (urk)
That would seem to defeat the point of the carefully melted and reset butter.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearlegged wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:16 am
RIP wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 am Boil them in the water? (urk)
That would seem to defeat the point of the carefully melted and reset butter.
Come to that, what sort of sausages are going to fit in a tiny one-egg frying pan? Maybe those little cocktail sausage things?

Using cocktail sausages to make a 'full English' you'd presumably need correspondingly tiny wrens' eggs, baby toms, bark mycena mushrooms, etc etc.

(sorry Stevo, I'm dissing your breakfast here! As a non-consumer of eggs or sausages you can safely ignore my ramblings).